• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI MTB World Cup (All forms!)

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Commonwealth Games XC MTB races, at Cannock Chase today; looks like pretty small fields with it being between the two North America World Cups......
However Sam Gaze should be favourite to defend his title, and women's XCO World Champion Evie Richards continues her comeback.
Well predicted, although even I assumed the same.
Scheduling was unfortunate, but understandable.

Reactions: jmdirt
Another World Cup weekend, and the second North American stop, this time across the border, in Monte Saint-Anne, Quebec.

As ever the Short Track is tonight at 22:30, with the Downhill tomorrow, and XCO on Sunday evening.

Nino is back tonight after his crash in last Friday's Short Track, but Vlad Dascalu will miss it due to his crash in the XCO race.
Blevins is also out this weekend with Covid.

That was some epic DH racing; a first WCup win for Finn after a few near misses - with a run which could be described as 'on the ragged edge'. Vali's was a lot more calculated, fast but not out of control.

Putting my motorsport hat on, I can imagine Amaury Pierron would be getting all kinds of criticism for not riding for points to win the title - and instead going for the win, and binning it.

What a beautiful ride that was to watch by Neff. Even before the rain came, she was on a different level of technical ability to the rest. Really hope Terpstra can hang on to the WC lead, but she did, uncharacteristically, seem to fade in the latter part of the race today?

She mentioned last week that usually she doesn't ride very well in muddy conditions.

Just watched some parts of today's race so far, but from what I saw in a lap where she lost more than 1 minute to Jolanda, she lost more than 40 seconds in just a small portion of the track, so perhaps she had some crash/mechanical there.

Some excellent racing in Canada; whether XC, DH In Mont Saint-Anne or EWS in Whistler......Hattie harnden with another last stage charge to take the win!!

This forum does disappoint me though; the lack of comment on MTB racing - I wish more people would open their eyes, and watch it. There's more to pro-cycle racing than just the road.
Yes, this weekend was pretty amazing! Carod and Neff we're both technically just on another level, truly a pleasure to watch them ride. And of course, as a Canadian, I loved seeing Jackson and Finn take some amazing downhill wins! MSA is an iconic course.

I think it was the 3rd race in succession she'd had a crash right at the start. There was an interview/instagram post after the Short Track, and she wasn't best pleased; I think she basically said she was taken out....and the bike was broken. She got it fixed, and went for a ride to replace the XCC effort.

Her ride on Sunday was actually pretty good after the crash....and with a cut arm. In her latest instagram post, she had stitches in her arm and leg.

2023 World Cup calendar announced. So much promises, only for more of the same to be delivered. Very disappointed with the calendar: same venues, same number of races and some nice tracks like Albstadt gone.

That break in the middle of the summer is atrocious. From Val di Sole to the XCO and DHI World Championships there will be a break bigger than a month without world cup level racing.

XCO World Cup:
07/05 - Valkenburg , Netherlands
14/05 - Nové Mesto, Czech Republic
11/06 - Lenzerheide, Switzerland
18/06 - Leogang, Austria
02/07 - Val di Sole, Italy
27/08 - Vallnord, Andorra
17/09 - TBC, France
01/10 - Snowshoe, USA
08/10 - Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada

Downhill:
11/06 - Lenzerheide, Switzerland
18/06 - Leogang, Austria
02/07 - Val di Sole, Italy
27/08 - Vallnord, Andorra
03/09 - TBC, France
17/09 - TBC, France
01/10 - Snowshoe, USA
08/10 - Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada

Yeah, my first thought was, meh....is that it? However, I'm going to give them the benefit - I think this is a 'handover/ interim' calendar due to lack of time with contracts, rights, etc I hope to see something better in 2024.

Saying all that, the 2 month gap in the middle of the season is bizarre; however mid August sees the new Super Worlds in Scotland, and I think the Euros are 10 days before, but that's still a big gap, but isn't that when the Tour de France takes place? Maybe, they've decided not to clash with that race - just a thought.
And Mont Saint-Anne in early October is, interesting. Sad to see Albstadt go, a true climbing test, and Petropolis was short-lived; and as rumoured by Bart on RBTV, a new round in Valkenburg....which hosted the CX Worlds, and Amstel Gold Race.

This weekend sees the European XCO Championships; the men's is on Friday evening, the women's Saturday lunchtime.

Also, the third and final North American EWS round.....

Here's a sample of the course of the European Urban MTB Championships.

After the dreadful road race, it seems the MTB will have a very bland course too. Just like 2018 where the Glasgow course was very tame too. This multievent championships just make me wish next year can't come soon enough so at least we can have proper tracks and not ones where it's most important to arrange something just to be in the host city. At least it seems they are going to Fort William to host the XCO too next year in the Worlds, from what I could find.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFk5ylOauQ

Here's a sample of the course of the European Urban MTB Championships.

After the dreadful road race, it seems the MTB will have a very bland course too. Just like 2018 where the Glasgow course was very tame too. This multievent championships just make me wish next year can't come soon enough so at least we can have proper tracks and not ones where it's most important to arrange something just to be in the host city. At least it seems they are going to Fort William to host the XCO too next year in the Worlds, from what I could find.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFk5ylOauQ
I believe cross country is being held at Glentress nr Peebles.

I believe cross country is being held at Glentress nr Peebles.

I was confused, it is indeed in Glentress? Any insight about the type of terrain there?

UCI seems to have some minimum standards for Worlds courses as it should be.

The UEC doesn't seem to have the same standard, as of the last 5 european champs, at least 3 were dull af (Glasgow'2018, Novi Sad'2021 and now Munich'2022). From what I remember of Brno'2019 it had a little bit more of tech. 2020 was hard, but the coverage was crap.

This weekend sees the European XCO Championships; the men's is on Friday evening, the women's Saturday lunchtime.

Also, the third and final North American EWS round.....

Was hoping Evie Richards would continue her comeback here, but she's not on the startlist, so difficult to see her being competitive at the Worlds. But only her and Rissveds of the big names seem to be missing from Saturday's race, with Lecomte and PFF returning.

And in the men's, Pidock is back.

TRENDING THREADS