• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Points system

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The WT Teams and the Pro teams are in effect in separate pools for the COUNTING of UCI points for promotion/relegation - WT teams will still ride .pro. 1.1 and 2.1 and Pro teams will still ride WT races when they receive invitations.
Yes, But it would be ridicilous to not have them online complete separate pools also in the competitions.
By the last sentence in your post, it seems you didn’t read or didn’t understand what I wrote.

FkvW7bcWAAMKB3T

The New WorldTour Points System Explained

clip_image002.png

Revolution in the cycling calendar: from 2026 no more overlapping races like Paris-Nice and Tirreno

In four years, the calendar of the top races, the World Tour competitions, will look completely different. From 2026 there will be no more overlapping WorldTour races, UCI CEO Peter Van den Abeele has announced in the CROSS podcast from Play Sports. At the moment, numerous top races are being ridden at the same time, such as the UAE Tour and Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico, the Tour of Catalonia and Bruges-De Panne, the E3 and Gent-Wevelgem and so on.

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Revolution in the cycling calendar: from 2026 no more overlapping races like Paris-Nice and Tirreno

In four years, the calendar of the top races, the World Tour competitions, will look completely different. From 2026 there will be no more overlapping WorldTour races, UCI CEO Peter Van den Abeele has announced in the CROSS podcast from Play Sports. At the moment, numerous top races are being ridden at the same time, such as the UAE Tour and Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico, the Tour of Catalonia and Bruges-De Panne, the E3 and Gent-Wevelgem and so on.

Hmm. I really don't see the problem that Catalonia overlaps with three Flemish classics (okay, two classics and the Brugge-De Panne race) for instance - they are races who would attract two completely different fields anyway. How is this even going to work? Will the season be longer? Fewer WorldTour races?

They've tried to stop the overlapping races before and it didn't work and never made it past this kind of planning stage. Largely because cycling can accommodate multiple different goals simultaneously and is harder to F1-ise because strangely enough the riders who are targeting Roubaix and the riders who are targeting País Vasco are not the same. It would only really be necessary in the event of them reducing down the team sizes so that they cannot accommodate doing two WT races simultaneously. I know they've wanted to trim down the WT teams a bit lately but we're a long way away from being in a position where they can't do two simultaneous WT races with completely differing skillset requirements, and the sooner UCI recognise that the likes of Wout van Aert are an exception, not the rule, and just because you don't have Gent-Wevelgem clash with Catalunya anymore does not mean that the big name Flemish classics men are going to race Catalunya, or that the big name Spanish and Latin American climbers are going to miraculously all want to do Gent-Wevelgem then fly back to Spain to start a stage race the next day.

Also am I seriously seeing that on the Continental circuit, a stage race GC and a one day race are worth the exact same amount? That's absolutely imbecilic. That discrepancy between the value of stage races and one day races needed to be INCREASED at the lower level, not the opposite. I guess there are a lot of French and Belgian one-day races that can guarantee Lappartient's buddies WT licences off the Coupe de France though.

The New WorldTour Points System Explained

clip_image002.png

On what planet is Montreal worth more points than Fleche?

I am a bit scared riders like Matthews are getting a too big of a bump because of the system. Riders that are extremely consistent but almost never win. Cycling should still be about winning. Instead of making the system more topheavy (what I would've liked) they made it less by doing the same in GTs as what they were doing in .1 and .Pro races. I would've preferred less points for minor placements in smaller races instead to balance it out (and more points for top 5 in GT of big WT stages, but not top 15 or top 10 for example).

I find it interesting that Oman, Ruta Del Sol and Algarve added a prep race before their tours - Could we see more of this in the future, especially with UCI points up for grabs.

Oman and Algarve definitely have something to do with UCI points yes. Look at the difference in quality starting in Oman between this year and last year. That Muscat classic definitely helped. More points to be earned there in total than in the UAE Tour for example.

Murcia and Almeria have always existed and Jaen was there last year already so I wouldn't say those Spanish races are the result of the UCI points being important.

Could we see more of this in the future, especially with UCI points up for grabs.
We've seen it in the past, the TDU being the classic example. If there's a sponsor for it - a way for the organiser to make a buck - it'll happen. Given you've got a captive audience (well, teams and riders) it makes sense in places like Canada (there's a curtain-raiser of some sort to the two Canadian races), Australia and the Middle East. But it doesn't work so well in Europe.

TRENDING THREADS