• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI putting their foot in it

Former President Hein Verbruggen this week criticized the media for giving too much focus to doping coverage. His view seems to be that doping in cycling is only "1 or 2%" of the sport, yet it gets 50% of the coverage. Presumably Verbruggen hasn't seen lists of his own sport's former champions, at least 50% of whom are tainted by failed tests, doping admissions and allegations. Go back on the Top 3 of every Tour since about 1992 and see how many convicted or confessed dopers there are - it certainly isn't 2%! In fact, the entire podium in some years is questionable at best, or entirely composed of dopers at worst.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/02/floyd-landis-s****-emails-and-cycling.html

"My understanding, without having examined the full detail, is that during 2002 Lance Armstrong and Johan Bruyneel visited the UCI headquarters in Aigle [Switzerland]. It had just opened in April 2002, it was some time after that. They got a guided tour of the centre. They were impressed by what they saw and Armstrong offered $100,000 to help the development of cycling.
"The UCI decided to use the money on a Sysmex machine, my understanding is that the machine cost around $88,000. We did nothing more about this until 2005 when it was realised that the money had not been paid by Armstrong. A phone call was made and the money came in.
"I don't believe there was a conflict of interest. The machine is still in use today to test riders before major races. If there is any money left over it is still in the account of the UCI."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...rong-paid-uci-100-000-for-sysmex-machine.html

Asked how much he paid, Armstrong said: "I think 25,000." When pressed, he said it couldn't be in the region of 200,000 or 150,000 but was more likely in the region of 30 or 40. "I think it's no more than 30," Armstrong replied.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
The article is dated May 25, 2010?

The idea came from the other thread;
Benotti69 said:
maybe we could start a thread for Landis with examples of foot in mouth by UCI

j6h7nt.jpg

....not a bad idea when you have had these two in charge.

3354nsy.jpg

Recall that it was Verbruggen who dubbed the 1999 Tour the "Tour of Redemption".

He firmly believes this, and will go to any length to defend the enormous joke the Tour became once Armstrong began winning.

Ah, who could ever forget Sestrieres in that year's Tour? It was so...redemptive... ;););)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Some favourite Heins quotes - I should add he is a man of extraordinary integrity.

July 2005:
"'Get the hell out of here, idiot!', I told him. Luckily I could restrain myself a bit, otherwise I would really let fly. I'm not good with such people. This initiative deserves nothing but praise and respect."

Early 1997:
"The whole doping fight is pretty ineffective and it's also unsatisfactory. Imagine that in future there's more of a move towards health controls, concentrating not only on doping but also on the health aspect. If there are certain products that enhance performance when taken in large quantities which are also dangerous to health, why not prescribe certain limits, check the blood and the urine and say that as long as you stay within determined limits where there is no risk to health, that's fine by us?"

March 2005:
"We know that most riders that are winning races are clean. The blood transfusion method is not validated yet, but we do the tests for our own use. Say we do 30 auto-transfusion tests - maybe two will not be clean. We have the information, but legally we can't publicise it."

July 1999:
"The controls have visibly improved over last year and the year before," he said.
"People are more aware of their responsibilities, that is clear.
"Several sporting directors have also called me to say the race is cleaner than in the past."

From the book Inside Dope - Dick Pound recounts this story (weeks before Operation Puerto)
At my meeting with the UCI in April 2006, I almost fell off my chair when Hein Verbruggen said that the UCI had so few positive drug tests that they had concluded there was not a drug problem in cycling after all and they were giving serious thought to reducing the number of tests they performed.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Some favourite Heins quotes - I should add he is a man of extraordinary integrity.

At my meeting with the UCI in April 2006, I almost fell off my chair when Hein Verbruggen said that the UCI had so few positive drug tests that they had concluded there was not a drug problem in cycling after all and they were giving serious thought to reducing the number of tests they performed.

That last quote is the most confusing considering that testing might actually be an income producer for the UCI (Black Ops Division): charge to test, charge to suppress.

Flip flops, and about faces

26 May 2010
Lance Armstrong donation to International Cycling Union a mistake, says Pat McQuaid

"To the best of my knowledge," continued McQuaid, "the UCI has not accepted other donations and I'd just like to clarify that there was only one donation from Lance Armstrong not two or three.

"I think based on experience, based on hindsight and 20/20 vision, and based on the claims of a conflict of interest, the UCI would be very careful before accepting a donation from a rider in the future

10 July 2010

McQuaid reveals Armstrong made two donations to the UCI

"Armstrong said he paid $25,000 but I also knew he paid $100,000,”

And here is a real doozie:

"McQuaid has often defended Armstrong, yet has been openly critical of Floyd Landis even if the World Anti-Doping Agency is doing everything it can to assist the investigation to his allegations. McQuaid justifies his support for Armstrong because of the huge public and media attention he brings to cycling.

"I defend Lance because he's one of the greatest athletes in our sport but I would vehemently deny that he has ever received any favourable treatment from us," McQuaid said...""

Uh, Pat, that is the definition of favourable treatment. Defending Lance, especially while villifying, others, all the while denying that you are providing favourable treatment. And, in case anyone was confused about the special treatment:

"I believe that it's up to the authorities and the scientific community to catch these guys while they're doing it,” he added. “Re-opening things from the past and spending a lot of time and a lot of money isn't the answer."

"Doping has been going on in sport for centuries. Do we really want to go backwards all the time and keep opening investigations for accusation that someone makes?

Does that explain the Vrijman report? That the UCI doesn't want anyone to look at what happened in the past?

I have never denied that there has been a culture of doping in this sport

Um, what about:

"What I am sure of is that cycling is cleaner than it’s ever been. It’s the cleanest of any sport.”

Or:

Doping scandals mar cycling year _ again

"UCI president Pat McQuaid continued to claim that cycling is the "cleanest of all sports," while Italy's anti-doping prosecutor Ettore Torri said in October he is convinced that all cyclists are doping

"I'll just say that the leaders of this team were naive," McQuaid said. "If I am the sports director, Ricco never joins my team.""

Pat, you don't need to be the sports director. You need to pull your head out of your @ss and realize that you are the head of the UCI for crying out loud.

And, to put an exclamation point on the favoritism:

Confusion trails Armstrong’s Sysmex machine donation

"McQuaid told CW: "The UCI will follow the rules, regardless of whom the rider is. The rider must be in the anti-doping system for six months, that's the rule he must follow."

On October 8, it was announced that the UCI was to waive rule 77 allowing Armstrong to take part in the Tour Down Under. "

Dave.

It's their culture, not ours

“There exists today a schism between two cultures. The Anglo-Saxon culture and what I call the mafia-like culture of western Europe (sports.fr assumes this refers to Belgium, France, Italy, and Spain). This western European culture, in a certain way, I wouldn’t say that it condones doping, but it accepts certain practices. The Anglo-Saxon culture, which includes Holland, Germany, England and Denmark, functions in a totally different manner. I believe that it is important that the Anglo-Saxon vision must carry the day. If this is not the case, cycling is dead, ” said McQuaid.

Speed it up, no slow it down Contador Affair

Showing no signs of favoritism ;):

UCI looks to resolve Contador case ‘as quickly as possible’

"in the interests of our sport we need the Contador case to come to a conclusion as quickly as possible"

Then:

2010 Tour de France: Pat McQuaid calls for patience on Alberto Contador case

"we need to go into the detail to make sure the decisions, whatever they might be, are the correct decisions.”

“I’ve heard in reports recently that the UCI has been dragging its heels, but that is not the case,” he added.

“We’re waiting for WADA to come back with results so we can decide what the next step is.”

Ok, so you have been taking a detailed approach but haven't been dragging your heels. You are now waiting for the opportunity to drag your heels.

Dave.

I Guarantee No Positives!

I would hope next year we'll have a Tour de France with no positive tests.

There are three ways to eliminate positive tests. Eliminate doping, eliminate the tests, or protect your favorite riders from testing positive.

(In an official report, the AFLD questioned that) despite a rash of positives in the 2008 race and a number in the races leading up to it, there were no positive tests at the 2009 Tour.

Oddly, there were UCI run doping tests everywhere:

"The Tour de France in 2009 will probably be the most tested sports event in history," McQuaid said

And McQuaid says we have won the war

At the Tour of Ireland on Sunday, Pat McQuaid said the 2009 Tour de France recorded no positive doping tests. "Thus far I have not heard of a positive test from this year on the Tour, or samples that are being checked to determine the positive," said the UCI president. "I think it is a big step forward for cycling,"

Not now, or in the future

It’s looking like the Tour de France will not have any positive tests for a number of years. I think that’s a big step forward for cycling.”

Or not:

Two years ago, when the UCI was in dispute with Tour organizers ASO, the French agency performed the tests alone and caught several riders, including Riccardo Ricco. The promising Italian rider won two mountain stages before testing positive for the banned blood-boosting hormone CERA

When the UCI is in charge of testing - 1998 and 2009 - we can always guarantee no doping in cycling.

Apparently unbeknownst to Hein & Pat:

"if you look at all the judicial cases resulting from doping, most of them are related to cycling," Bordry said. "There is a problem with this sport."

Dave.

VerDRUGgen

Am I the only one with recollection of some of these things? Or the only one that can used Google?

Anyhow, time to shine a light on VerDRUGgen.

Was Landis the first to laugh at Hein and his lack of commitment to do anything about doping? No.

Was D!ck Pound the first? No.

The first person to mock Hein was none other than the Judge in the Festina trial.

Oct 31, 2000

We have done everything we could for a long time to fight that plague."
Verbruggen said …

Judge Daniel Delegove argued that the world cycling body had spent less than one percent of their budget on the fight against doping.

The UCI spent 1.8 million francs, the court was told, compared to a global budget of 250 millions francs (US$35 million).

Each professional team is also obliged to donate 16,000 francs (US$2,100) each year to finance blood testing.

"Sixteen thousand francs in a yearly budget which, for Festina, was 40 million francs (US$7.5 million), that's ridiculous," Judge Delegove said.

The fact that Hein had reduced the imposed bans on the Festina riders might have been one of the things that caught Judge Delegove's attention.

October 6, 1998

Festina Riders' Ban Is Shortened

The softening of the penalties will allow the riders to be ready for next year's Tour de France. For these riders, 90 percent of the season is the Tour de France, Hein Verbruggen said yesterday …the International Cycling Union cut 30 days off eight-month bans imposed by the Swiss federation

Cutting the ban? How else can that be explained other than as blatant favoritism and going soft on doping?

As Delegove said, that's ridiculous. In fact, it was so ridiculous that Hein's protectionism and support for the doping culture led to the formation of WADA.

Dave.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
I would hope next year we'll have a Tour de France with no positive tests.

There are three ways to eliminate positive tests. Eliminate doping, eliminate the tests, or protect your favorite riders from testing positive.

(In an official report, the AFLD questioned that) despite a rash of positives in the 2008 race and a number in the races leading up to it, there were no positive tests at the 2009 Tour.

Oddly, there were UCI run doping tests everywhere:

"The Tour de France in 2009 will probably be the most tested sports event in history," McQuaid said

And McQuaid says we have won the war

At the Tour of Ireland on Sunday, Pat McQuaid said the 2009 Tour de France recorded no positive doping tests. "Thus far I have not heard of a positive test from this year on the Tour, or samples that are being checked to determine the positive," said the UCI president. "I think it is a big step forward for cycling,"

Not now, or in the future

It’s looking like the Tour de France will not have any positive tests for a number of years. I think that’s a big step forward for cycling.”

Or not:

Two years ago, when the UCI was in dispute with Tour organizers ASO, the French agency performed the tests alone and caught several riders, including Riccardo Ricco. The promising Italian rider won two mountain stages before testing positive for the banned blood-boosting hormone CERA

When the UCI is in charge of testing - 1998 and 2009 - we can always guarantee no doping in cycling.

Apparently unbeknownst to Hein & Pat:

"if you look at all the judicial cases resulting from doping, most of them are related to cycling," Bordry said. "There is a problem with this sport."

Dave.

since lance, popo and danny di luca won't be there you know there will be no doping in the tdf!

Almost one percent use drugs... since 1997

Q: Where does favoritism start?

A: With Hein & Pat's ongoing marketing statement about <1% dope. Because if it is more than 1%, you favor those riders you don't throw under the bus.

Q: When did this start?

A: At least as long as 14 years ago, and before Festina.

24 Jan 1997

The recently retired French rider, Gilles Delion broke the absolute silence. In the sport's paper, L'Equipe he declared that all the French teams were involved. According to him, it was abnormal not to use the drugs

(Verbruggen said) “We stand powerless against the rumour mongering … Naturally, there is more than almost one percent using the drugs, that is by my reckoning. How many more than that? Don't ask me, I don't know." said Verbruggen. "Twenty, thirty per cent, no-one knows. I have spoken with the riders, who also don't know.

More than almost 1%? Comical.

Fourteen years later, he is still blaming the media.

19 Feb 2011

When Cyclingnews pointed out that it is not the media that is involved in doping the riders, Verbruggen said, "It's not the media that dope (the riders) but it's the media that make the perception, they determine what the perception is."

"If you had another kind problem in the sport of one or two percent, you would talk about it that much... You cannot generalise. I'll always be opposed to that. We know that one percent is sanctioned. We know we don't catch everybody, but you can't say they all doped. Those statements drives me nuts."

You can't say they all dope? Why not? Delion said it 14 years ago. Donati said it. Pound said it. And, more recently, Floyd said it.

The only reason you can't say they all dope is because the UCI will sue you if you do.

Hein, you were lying then and you are still lying now. 1% is a farce. Festina proved you wrong a year after your 1997 remarks. The endless recent scandals continue to prove you wrong.

You are lying, and promoting the lie can only be achieved by favoritism.

Dave.

Hein abandons doping fight with Armstrong donation

Suspicious timing?

6 August 2002

Hein Verbruggen To Resign From Anti-Doping Group

The letter Verbruggen sent to WADA stated that the UCI president was resigning due to an overly full schedule.

Minimally a BS reason ('too busy'). But, maybe he didn't need WADA because the Tour winner was now financing the fight on doping personally.

May 2002 (a few months before Hein resigned his post from WADA)

McQuaid said, ... "Lance, in May 2002, paid a personal cheque, signed by himself and his wife, for $25,000..."

Very suspicious.

Ok, going out on a limb here. Maybe the first check was not to suppress a test related to the TdS. Maybe that first check was to compensate Hein for abandoning WADA.

Remember, the UCI was the LAST IOC sport to sign the WADA Code. Doing so just after the 2004 Tour on 26 Jul 2004.

Why not before the Tour??? Was the UCI trying to hide something?

This signing coincided with Lance's fifth Tour win and the final year of the SCA agreement (1 July 2001 - 31 August 2004).

Nothing like a little foot dragging to keep WADA at bay while the favored rider was being supported to win Tour after Tour and while being compensated millions by SCA for doing so.

The SCA policy covered provided Performance Awards for 2001 - 2004.

Dave.

P.S. Yes, I am saying that Novitzky and Floyd should look further at the timing of Hein's actions, Armstrong's donations, the UCI's holdout on signing the Code, and the SCA contract. Something smell's really fishy here.

Hein lies about not being involved in the business of sport

In one of Hein's statements in response to Landis' accusations, Hein declared:

19 Feb 2011

"I have never, ever, been involved in the business of sport. I have never, ever, taken one cent from sport. Not as a salary, not as a commission. …”

That statement, of course, is laughable.

Hein's start in cycling started as a sponsor - the confluence of business and sport. In 1970, Verbruggen first became involved in the business of sport by convincing Mars, Incorporated to sponsor a cycling team.

He obviously took a salary as head of the UCI... and since when has the UCI not tried to control the entire business of cycling, including most recently requiring that all frame builders pay a fee for special 'UCI compliant' stickers.

Then, he created the Pro Tour. The Pro Tour being the ultimate embodiment of professional cycling (i.e. the business). It was, of course, a disaster:

Pitallier told L’Equipe: “We need to realise the consequences of the failure of the Pro Tour. I am asking that Hein Verbruggen, who is behind these problems, steps down together with those around him and that he gives up his activities in cycling.”

Then there was the collusion between Hein and Lance on purchasing the Tour and creating a new organization that would run professional cycling (...remember the Pro Tour...???):

Lance's Plan for France -- Off the Bike
Seeking to Overhaul Cycling, Armstrong Played a Part in Talks to Buy the Tour

In 2006, Mr. Armstrong embarked on an effort to overhaul professional cycling that, in some scenarios, would involve him owning a stake in cycling's most prestigious race

According to his agent, Bill Stapleton, Mr. Armstrong has discussed the idea of buying the Tour with investors and remains interested in creating an organization that would run professional cycling and include the Tour

In fall 2006, at a Manhattan bar, Mr. Armstrong, his agent Mr. Stapleton, and hedge-fund manager David "Tiger" Williams, along with actor Jake Gyllenhaal, discussed how cycling could benefit from central ownership… Afterward, Mr. Armstrong rounded up a number of wealthy cycling enthusiasts willing to help fund a potential acquisition of the Tour de France

In July 2007, Messrs. Armstrong and Stapleton entertained another prospective plan to reorganize cycling from Wouter Vandenhaute

Keep the name Vandenhaute in mind. No, this is not to be confused with Verbruggen. The two were also in cahoots:

6 Mar 2008

Verbruggen is momenteel in onderhandeling met Vandenhaute. Die wil het wielrennen vormen naar voorbeeld van de Champions League, waarin onder meer de uitzendrechten voor de grote wedstrijden in één pakket worden verkocht aan de omroepen.

(Translated as: Verbruggen is currently in negotiations with Vandenhaute. Who wants to cycling are examples of the Champions League, which includes the rights to broadcast the big games in a package sold to broadcasters.)

NEGOTIATIONS??? FOR A CHAMPIONS LEAGUE??? INCLUDES BROADCAST RIGHTS??? Sounds like business to me.

Of course, none of this touches on:

1. The Armstrong donations
2. The Japanese Keirin donations

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Uh, Pat, that is the definition of favourable treatment. Defending Lance, especially while villifying, others, all the while denying that you are providing favourable treatment. And, in case anyone was confused about the special treatment:

"I believe that it's up to the authorities and the scientific community to catch these guys while they're doing it,” he added. “Re-opening things from the past and spending a lot of time and a lot of money isn't the answer."

"Doping has been going on in sport for centuries. Do we really want to go backwards all the time and keep opening investigations for accusation that someone makes?

Does that explain the Vrijman report? That the UCI doesn't want anyone to look at what happened in the past?

McQuaid is in an unenviable position. I believe that, given the choice, he would prefer a clean cycling to an oxygenated one, and yet surely you must understand that he doesn't want to replace dope-fueled cycling and preferential treatment with a culture of perpetual investigation and the discrediting of past results? The UCI is naturally going to be a million times better at looking out for the economic interests of the sport than they are at genuinely fighting doping (because everyone there knows that to adopt the attitude that some of the radical anti-dopers suggest - perpetual investigation into the past - would be to sign the death warrant for pro cycling as an income-generator).

Cycling does do more than any sport I can think of to fight doping - it just also has the most long-standing and deeply-entrenched tradition and culture of doping.

Yeah...there's really a simple answer for that one...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
McQuaid is in an unenviable position. I believe that, given the choice, he would prefer a clean cycling to an oxygenated one, and yet surely you must understand that he doesn't want to replace dope-fueled cycling and preferential treatment with a culture of perpetual investigation and the discrediting of past results? The UCI is naturally going to be a million times better at looking out for the economic interests of the sport than they are at genuinely fighting doping (because everyone there knows that to adopt the attitude that some of the radical anti-dopers suggest - perpetual investigation into the past - would be to sign the death warrant for pro cycling as an income-generator).

Cycling does do more than any sport I can think of to fight doping - it just also has the most long-standing and deeply-entrenched tradition and culture of doping.

Yeah...there's really a simple answer for that one...

You can see that in germany. Only negative press, even tough cycling is at least trying to fight the doping.
So only an idiot would spoil his business completely by openly talking about or investigating too deeply into the "dark sides". The NFL isn´t, FIFA is not at all, IOC is not at all. And where do they stand? They are (wrongly) the darlings of the press and thus of the (sometimes) strange behaving fans, who choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.

By that i can understand the position of the UCI. They somehow sucsessfully try the squaring of the cycle.

TRENDING THREADS