• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI thumbing nose to Grand Tours?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
First the ToC gets to move into May while the Giro is on, and now Canadian ProTour classics are added to September during the Vuelta's timeslot. Is the UCI trying to tell RCS and Unipublic that that American dollars are more important than Euros, or is this just an unavoidable coincidence?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
What do you expect, greedy, power hungary, corrupt based in Swizterland like most crooked tax avoiding bodies, charties etc etc .
Feck them long live the GRAND TOURS.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Hmm, to even things out perhaps they should make Tour of Austria a ProTour race as well. That way all three grand tours have another PT race against it instead of giving special excemption to the Tour.

I doubt that would hurt the Tour much. I don't whether this is true in all countries but in many countries the Tour is THE bike race. Anything alse is tertiary at best.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I think this is blown out of proportion. There are more than enough cyclists for a decent sized event besides a GT. I think it's a fine idea, especially if you have them at the other side of the pond.

I just can't see this as a bad thing. We can blame the UCI for a lot of things, but this is stretching it a bot.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
And do you really think California will hurt the Giro, or the Canada races take riders away from the Vuelta?

Susan

You won't get levi or lance at the giro next year because they'll be at california. That'll hurt the giro. The canada races won't hurt the vuelta as the riders would most likely prefer go to spain as it is a renowned event.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
You won't get levi or lance at the giro next year because they'll be at california. That'll hurt the giro. The canada races won't hurt the vuelta as the riders would most likely prefer go to spain as it is a renowned event.

lance and levi are hardly giro regulars though are they..?

i dont think it makes any odds.. for every nine riders a team puts into a gt there are another half dozen that are good enough, but dont get picked.. the quality of both the giro and the ToC will be just the same as ever..

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
It is strange to have the Canadian races the week before the Worlds as well. Nothing like a 8 hour plane flight and jet lag to get ready for a big race

auscyclefan94 said:

OK-Looks to me that you started paying attention the the Giro & the Vuelta a year ago-right?:rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
here in california, may is a great time to ride. same with italy. february can be
sketchy, as they have found. it's all good.:cool:

TOC can't ride in the Sierra-Nevada in Feb. The move to May made sense to me. Now they can have much harder climbs.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
OK-Looks to me that you started paying attention the the Giro & the Vuelta a year ago-right?:rolleyes:

No. This years field was one of the strongest fields in the giro for a while. A lot more world wide attention was paid to the giro as LA was there and that Ivan Basso was back to a GT and Their were many guys who could win this race. That's why i think guys like Lance and Levi not being there will detract from the publicity of the race and the strength of the field.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
No. This years field was one of the strongest fields in the giro for a while. A lot more world wide attention was paid to the giro as LA was there and that Ivan Basso was back to a GT and Their were many guys who could win this race. That's why i think guys like Lance and Levi not being there will detract from the publicity of the race and the strength of the field.

Yeah, I'm sure the press corps will really miss Armstrong and his classless silent treatment. Levi seems like a good guy but does anyone seriously think he can win a GT? As for the Vuelta, it's a big target in it's own right and ideal prep for the world's otherwise. Two races in Canada arent going to change that. That said, the Mt Royal course in Montreal is nasty and guarantees a quality winner. I don't know much about the Quebec City course but just experiencing the old quarter is plenty reason to check it out. I'll be there.

ladyvader said:
TOC can't ride in the Sierra-Nevada in Feb. The move to May made sense to me. Now they can have much harder climbs.

The lack of climbing was as much a factor of the time of year as available terrain. They could have made that race a LOT harder than they did with the available terrain. For example, last year's Santa Cruz stage could have had 2 other categorized climbs (easily) and blown the race to pieces. It's just too much to have stages like that in February.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
IIRC, ASO is a large shareholder in Amgen ToCalifornia.

I think this fact is critical. The Giro was indeed a threat to TdF this year in terms of talent and race excitement, ToC next year will surly dimish Giro with the 12 second cycling attention span of Americans. ASO would certainly like to undercut Giro as competition with TdF.

I'm very unhappy as we had the Giro on TV for the first time in years with USN here in the States, now back to 1 week of ToC and no Giro. USN won't pick it up, as it divides scarce American cycling eyeballs. Versus be damned.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

I think I saw it reported somewhere that Armstrong said he's doing the Giro

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sheltowee said:
I think I saw it reported somewhere that Armstrong said he's doing the Giro

I thought he said he would do the ToC. He said on a video on his website with Levi that he'll be going to Califronia to defend Levi's title. Could be wrong but i think he will do Calafornia being his home nations race.

Latest posts