• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Unbelievable doping excuses

Jesús Rosendo Prado has managed to come up with an excuse for doping that I have not heard before: Haemorrhoids. Not quite as good as saying that your stash of dope was for your mother-in-law or your dog but still pretty good.

We need a list of the best excuses.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Who was it that blamed an elevated testosterone level on being drug tested after sex?

I quite like Floid's "I'm just a bigger man than you" defense

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Jesús Rosendo Prado has managed to come up with an excuse for doping that I have not heard before: Haemorrhoids. Not quite as good as saying that your stash of dope was for your mother-in-law or your dog but still pretty good.

He wanted to make a donation to an orphanage with poor and abandoned children disproportionally affected by haemorroids, or with an almost unnaturally low blood volume...?

Adri van der Poel
Cycling
Busted for: Strychnine in 1983
Excuse: His pigeon-racing father-in-law fed him pie made from doped-up birds.

Junsuke Inoue
Billiards
Busted for: Methyltestosterone in 1998
Excuse: The 58-year-old wasn't taking the stuff to improve his pool game but to keep his cue stiff. "My wife deserved to be satisfied," he said.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Have you ever had a dose of piles?? not nice.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
And it was for artificial testosterone, at that.

Susan
iirc, it was used first by the big sprinters in the athletics.

not to be pedantic, but that excuse ('having a sex') was introduced first when there was no test for artificial testosterone (irms or in the us - 'isotope ratio' test was formally introduced around 2000). before irms, they used t/e ratio value of 6, then 4 and trending it.

the t/e test is still used but only for screening.

A

Anonymous

I love Gibbo, but....

My favorite doping excuse was when Simoni said the cocaine came from some candy his mother (grandmother?) sent him from Peru, or Bolivia or some such place. And the didn't know A THING about it. Way to go Gilberto! (I had a college professor once who said you could get out of his lecture if 1) you had a letter from a doctor or 2) if you could think of an excuse he had never heard.)

ps: he got off

BroDeal said:
Adri van der Poel
Cycling
Busted for: Strychnine in 1983
Excuse: His pigeon-racing father-in-law fed him pie made from doped-up birds.

Junsuke Inoue
Billiards
Busted for: Methyltestosterone in 1998
Excuse: The 58-year-old wasn't taking the stuff to improve his pool game but to keep his cue stiff. "My wife deserved to be satisfied," he said.

Keep them coming!

Basso wins the Giro by ten mins and decides he needs to 'attempt to dope.'
Floyd and whiskey.
Tyler and the surgical procedure - eventhough there was no procedure.
Schumacher and diarrhoea.
USP and their diabetic mechanic.
Samples spiked - by guess who?
Stephen Roche - my blood was stored for medical research.

Frank Schleck - I gave 7,000 Euro to a gyneacologist, for training plans. But I never actually met him before or after to get these plans, or to check if he was qualified to give me the plans.

Reactions: perico
Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
My #1 is a tie between Hamilton's vanishing twin (which may have inspired an episode of House, oh irony) and the book that Mario de Clercq was supposedly writing.

The vanishing twin excuse is really a master stroke of pure genius.

cbc's list of top ten doping excuses. Some have already been covered, but Petr Korda blamed the positive test of nandrolone on eating too much veal.

Fidel Castro blamed Javier Sotomayor's positive for cocaine on the 'well-known Cuban-American Mafia'.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
petethedrummer said:
I know Dennis Mitchell the American 100m sprinter used this excuse. Is there a cyclist that also used it?

A sprinter would generate alot more testosterone in a short time. The cyclist would need to have sex for three weeks.

BroDeal said:
DIETER BAUMANN, runner
A conspiracy spiked his toothpaste with steroids. The Germans exonerated him.

Gilberto Simoni: His Peruvian candies contained cocaine.

I think the candies were tested and had traces in them! I cannot remember if this was rumor or true, but if true, we should have these OTC in North America! :D :p

TRENDING THREADS