• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

United Kingdom | 6 TDF Wins in 10 Years?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Could say the same about the likes of Gerrans, EBH and co. Massive underachievers while at Sky

EBH was meant to be what Sagan is now

Their focus is stage racing, grand tours and specifically the Tour. I would guess that rather than being able to focus on your target events without having to be involved in domestique duties prior to these targets, these riders were compromised by their other obligations supporting Sky's stage race goals.

Re: Re:

brownbobby said:
proffate said:
Making the suggestion that racism exists is not, itself, racism.

No, but putting racist thoughts and comments into the mouths of other people, without a shred of evidence that said other person has any racist tendencies, is equally inexcusable :mad:

Indeed - the original expression (those two words used together) is obviously an American one anyway and not one that DB would have used. It would not even have been in his thoughts. In the UK we don't tend to refer to Latinos at all. If that's an expression that it's OK to use in the US it is unsurprising that not everyone can see what's wrong with it. Is there a tendency in certain countries to ignore casual racism? Anyway I am quite unabashed in applauding all winners, whether from the UK or anywhere. Presumably this thread started with a clinic implication and this issue (though important) derailed it.

Re:

Their focus is stage racing, grand tours and specifically the Tour. I would guess that rather than being able to focus on your target events without having to be involved in domestique duties prior to these targets, these riders were compromised by their other obligations supporting Sky's stage race goals.
It's hardly hampered Kwiatkowski and Stannard's classics results, or Flecha's back in the day. Don't forget Poels is a monument winner as well.

Said it before say it again that in the early 80s a mysterious invisible cloud of radioactive plutonium descended upon Britain boosting the sperm of all their men who then sired super human athletes. It was dropped on Britain by Russia intending to create mutant deformities but it obviously backfired. Look at the London and Rio Olympics. The Brits made enormous improvements on the previous Olympics.

Froome? well his father must have gone back to Britain for a visit at the exact time of the Plutonium drop.

The fact that they couldn't ride bikes to save themselves and are now easily the best bike riders on the planet can't be seen as suspicious at all should it. I witnessed it myself at the track racing in Rio. They were simply freaks of nature. The massive PBs and world records they did had to be seen to be believed. Only thing that contradicts my carefully analysed theory is that Callum Skinner and Katie Marchant were no good before Rio, were incredible in Rio then went back to no good straight after and then there were the PBs like Cavendish taking 8 seconds off his IP best time, YES EIGHT SECONDS and Laura Trot taking a few seconds off her best IP time even though she had done a hundred IPs so she shouldn't have been able to improve that much. At least Cav didn't do many IPs in the years before it although it's hard to believe too that Cav could do a 4:15 just outside Wiggins best ever time and then actually have the cheek to say on tv that he was disappointed not to break the Wiggins' British IP record. What gave him the right to expect it?

And to top it off I was sitting behind Laura's parents when GB won the team sprint gold, and her excited dad told me that he couldn't believe it considering the fact that Jason Kenny had considered retiring a few months earlier through a total lack of form since London. Add this to Callum Skinner growing a leg on all previous best performances and it's rather quite mind blowing how they did it. And then to witness Kenny do a 9.5 for the 200 at sea level? And then destroy them all in the kierin like they were little kids? Well it was something out of this world to witness.

Reactions: 70kmph

TRENDING THREADS