• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

United Kingdom | 6 TDF Wins in 10 Years?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
brownbobby said:
Team Sky may well realise that in the near future they either win the Tour with Bernal, or they don't win the Tour at all.

shurley shome mishtake...look at the weight Stannard could shed....there's s climber and GT winner if ever I saw one

plus....some advice from Chris H (excluded from defending his GT title by those pesky MPCC rules)

I'm putting my money on him for Le Tour once 'G's' finished

TEAM SKY where anything is possible.......................... :D :D

gillan1969 said:
brownbobby said:
Team Sky may well realise that in the near future they either win the Tour with Bernal, or they don't win the Tour at all.

shurley shome mishtake...look at the weight Stannard could shed....there's s climber and GT winner if ever I saw one

plus....some advice from Chris H (excluded from defending his GT title by those pesky MPCC rules)

I'm putting my money on him for Le Tour once 'G's' finished

TEAM SKY where anything is possible.......................... :D :D

Why stop at Stannard; that's too easy.....continuing with the tradition of turning track stars into GC contenders, i've heard rumours that Sir Chris Hoy could be tempted out of retirement to add a GT to his palmares :cool:

brownbobby said:
Why? They have won TDF's with 3 riders before, and 2 of those came out of nowhere. They still have a year or 2 with Froome & Thomas, and i'm sure they can find another british cyclist and transform him as well.

If that doesnt work they can always spend the money and hire one or both Yates kids.

I once read during the 2012 or 2016 Summer Olympics how Great Britain changed their "Sport development" after the disastrous 1996 Olympics where they just won 1 Gold medal (and were 36th on the medal table). I wonder how the British media would have responded if they read about
how Russia changed their "sport development".

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Bardamu said:
I once read during the 2012 or 2016 Summer Olympics how Great Britain changed their "Sport development" after the disastrous 1996 Olympics where they just won 1 Gold medal (and were 36th on the medal table). I wonder how the British media would have responded if they read about

Agree with the sentiment, but there really is very little comparison. Until Labour came to power in 1997, sport funding at every level was largely ignored at a government level.

This should give you a better idea of how dramatically this has changed.

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/historical-funding-figures

That was £5m before 1996...

Re: Re:

argel said:
Bardamu said:

Agree with the sentiment, but there really is very little comparison. Until Labour came to power in 1997, sport funding at every level was largely ignored at a government level.

This should give you a better idea of how dramatically this has changed.

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/historical-funding-figures

That was £5m before 1996...
I agree that it mainly has to do with sport funding, but the holier-than-thou approach of most western nations baffles me tbh. If non-western nations would have increased their funding in this way, eyebrows would have been raised and fingers would have been pointed at their government led doping program.

Forever The Best said:
Brullnux said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
i remember laughing when Sky announced they wanted to win the Tour with a British rider in 5 years time.

It seemed so far fetched with the talent they had at their disposal at that time (climbing wise especially). Now look who's laughing. They now won the Tour with 3 british riders. 2 of them ex-track olympic champions as well. And 1 freak of nature.

Wonder who's next.
Tao?
Stephen Williams?
Or good ol Harry Tanfield?
All three of those have shown some talent on the road, so no. Has to be a left field choice that nobody can expect, somebody who has shown nothing and will show nothing in terms of climbing talent until the age of 26 or 27, then win.
Luke Rowe. Plus, he was a climber in previous PCM's winning mountain stages so he always had the talent. :lol:

Pretty obvious Sky is replacing Froome with Bernal in a few years time. You don't sign a super-dom for 5 years and say the following:

“My responsibility as team manager is to look two or three seasons ahead,” Brailsford said when asked about Bernal, before adding: “I’ve already got the team I want in three seasons’ time.

“I’ve searched and searched for the rider that might be the next Chris Froome, who would be our next big leader for Grand Tours. My choice was Bernal, whom we absolutely had to have in the team. He’s our future.”

samhocking said:
Forever The Best said:
Brullnux said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
i remember laughing when Sky announced they wanted to win the Tour with a British rider in 5 years time.

It seemed so far fetched with the talent they had at their disposal at that time (climbing wise especially). Now look who's laughing. They now won the Tour with 3 british riders. 2 of them ex-track olympic champions as well. And 1 freak of nature.

Wonder who's next.
Tao?
Stephen Williams?
All three of those have shown some talent on the road, so no. Has to be a left field choice that nobody can expect, somebody who has shown nothing and will show nothing in terms of climbing talent until the age of 26 or 27, then win.
Luke Rowe. Plus, he was a climber in previous PCM's winning mountain stages so he always had the talent. :lol:

Pretty obvious Sky is replacing Froome with Bernal in a few years time. You don't sign a super-dom for 5 years and say the following:

“My responsibility as team manager is to look two or three seasons ahead,” Brailsford said when asked about Bernal, before adding: “I’ve already got the team I want in three seasons’ time.

“I’ve searched and searched for the rider that might be the next Chris Froome, who would be our next big leader for Grand Tours. My choice was Bernal, whom we absolutely had to have in the team. He’s our future.”

5 years?
it was 2018-19-20 at first

has Dave B. agreed with Bernal for 2 more years?

pastronef said:
samhocking said:
Forever The Best said:
Brullnux said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Wonder who's next.
Tao?
Stephen Williams?

5 years?
it was 2018-19-20 at first

has Dave B. agreed with Bernal for 2 more years?

I heard Bernal had signed a 5 year contract with Sky with a clause set at 3 years he could get out of it if he wanted to. Given Lappartients desire for teams salary to be capped, Sky chose their next leader wisely as Tour de France is heading towards perhaps simply very strong climbers will win it, rather than very strong all-rounders with strong teams perhaps.

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Once you've lived in the UK for 5 years you can apply for citizenship.
So, after the 5 year contract Bernal can become a British citizen and then win the TdF as a Brit!
(tongue in cheek smiley here)

A couple of things went their way. The main obstacle for them was Contador and he got banned in 2010 and was never the same again. The next one was Andy Schleck and he got injured in 2012 and never regained his top form. Cadel was already old. Nibali was young. With a TT loaded GT Wiggins had a great one off chance and won. Froome was an outlier that even Sky did not predict. He came like Genghis Khan from the desert and conquered all before him. But even the British are cold in their reception of him. So he cannot be considered properly a British product. Geraint Thomas though is a complete product of the british cycling school and so what was promised to deliver a TDF winner in 5 years was actually achieved in 9 years.

Berzin was a very talented track cyclist who excelled in pursuit. Furlan always had class. Colombo was young so a breakthrough was to be expected. Same with Bobrik. If you doubt Argentin's class you know nothing about cycling. Ugrumov had already been up there in GTs before joining the team. Riis actually got worse this year after moving to this team.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
A couple of things went their way. The main obstacle for them was Contador and he got banned in 2010 and was never the same again. The next one was Andy Schleck and he got injured in 2012 and never regained his top form. Cadel was already old. Nibali was young. With a TT loaded GT Wiggins had a great one off chance and won. Froome was an outlier that even Sky did not predict. He came like Genghis Khan from the desert and conquered all before him. But even the British are cold in their reception of him. So he cannot be considered properly a British product. Geraint Thomas though is a complete product of the british cycling school and so what was promised to deliver a TDF winner in 5 years was actually achieved in 9 years.

You sir are the World Champion at splitting hairs!

Re:

hrotha said:
Berzin was a very talented track cyclist who excelled in pursuit. Furlan always had class. Colombo was young so a breakthrough was to be expected. Same with Bobrik. If you doubt Argentin's class you know nothing about cycling. Ugrumov had already been up there in GTs before joining the team. Riis actually got worse this year after moving to this team.
Are posting in the right thread?

SDB has gone completely mad...he has a winning formulae...his last and only three TDF/GT winners have all been riders nobody gave ANY (and I mean ANY) chance of winning a GT mid-career...let alone when as young as Bernal...and what does he go and do????????...rip up orthodoxy and go and put his money on a guy with GT talent at a young age???!!!??!?!?!?!?!? Mental I tells you............

there's plenty Brits on the track program...Ethan Hayter (who he) for Le Tour in 2025

*Edited for common sense - Ethan will obviously have to "lose some weight" :D

Yeah, the story for now will be that Bernal is their future GC contender. That keeps him happy and willing to fight for the team. When his time actually comes and Froome and Thomas are both in decline due to old age (unless Sky come across Horner's Lazarus Pit) some other random British nobody is going to be better than him and get the nod for team captaincy.

Re:

Saint Unix said:
Yeah, the story for now will be that Bernal is their future GC contender. That keeps him happy and willing to fight for the team. When his time actually comes and Froome and Thomas are both in decline due to old age (unless Sky come across Horner's Lazarus Pit) some other random British nobody is going to be better than him and get the nod for team captaincy.
so, you have no doubt bernal will turn into another work horse laboured for the good of british cycling greatness? :)

Re:

Saint Unix said:
I have no doubt Bernal will never win the Tour while riding for Team Sky.
It's unknown, though bernal not winning the tour is more likely him finally doing it at this point whatever team he'll be riding for. otoh, bernal might not have looked so magnificent, if he hadn't performed for sky.

dacooley said:
Saint Unix said:
I have no doubt Bernal will never win the Tour while riding for Team Sky.
It's unknown, though bernal not winning the tour is more likely him finally doing it at this point whatever team he'll be riding for. otoh, bernal might not have looked so magnificent, if he hadn't performed for sky.
This is a good point and kind of takes us back full circle. Winning the Tour is really, really hard. Even for a rider as obviously talented as Bernal - there is absolutely no guarantee he will ever win it. Maybe once every ten years there will be a weak edition, but generally you have to be the best GT rider in the world and on top form, and still avoid bad luck in order to win the Tour.

Yet Sky have quite literally manufactured three British winners in less than a decade - riders who showed nowhere near the GC potential that Bernal has, until sudden transformations in their mid-late 20s. Even with doping, that is some achievement. To think they could have done it clean though, is absolutely preposterous.

TRENDING THREADS