• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

With Uno-X applying for a World Tour license, I guess it's time for a team thread.

The team is racing under Norwegian flag, with former Pro (CSC - Saxo - Sky) Kurt-Asle Arvesen as the lead DS.

Main sponsor Uno-X is an oil and gas company, owned by the Reitan Group (Norwegian Reitan family), who also owns the Rema 1000 supermarket chain, as well as 7-Eleven in Norway and Denmark. The group does most its business in Norway and Denmark, which is why the cycling team is completely focused on a roster of Norwegian and Danish riders.

The current squad has a roster of 19 Norwegian riders and 7 Danish riders, as well as 5 Norwegian DSs and 1 Danish.

It has also been announced they will start a Women's World Tour team for 2022, with former Pro Lars Bak (CSC - HTC - Lotto) as lead DS, again with a mix of Norwegian and Danish riders being the strategy.

Team homepage:
Team Uno-X

Team PCS page:
PCS page for Uno-X

If Uno-X are granted a WT license, they will need to buff up their squad, if they are to hack it at the highest level, and they are very committed to doing a Norwegian/Danish squad.

So these are the Norwegian and Danish WT riders, who are out of contract at the end of this season:

Norway:
Alexander Kristoff (UAE)
Sven-Erik Bystroem (UAE)
Odd Christian Eiking (Intermarche)

Denmark:
Jakob Fuglsang (Astana)
Jonas Gregaard (Astana)
Mikkel Honore (DQ)
Mathias Norsgaard (Movistar)
Chris Juul (BikeExchange)
Niklas Eg (Trek)
Alexander Kamp (Trek)
Asbjoern Kragh (DSM)
Emil Vinjebo (Qhubeka)
Andreas Stokbro (Qhubeka)
Lasse Norman (Qhubeka)

For especially the Danish riders, signing with Uno-X for 2022, will probably be connected with a realistic chance at selection for the Tour squad, as starting the Tour in Denmark is a once in a lifetime thing for the Danish riders.

Fuglsang and Chris Juul will probably get selected with their current teams, if they extend their contracts, but for the other 9 a Tour selection will be a serious contract consideration.

Honore is probably someone DQ wants to extend with, and I only see him leaving for a captaincy.... but then getting that, on a Norwegian/Danish WT squad, might be quite attractive.

(NOTE: This is all without knowing if they have the budget for any of these riders)

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's for 2023 they want to apply for WT status, so a potential Tour start next year will be depending on Wild Card.

• they aim for a budget around 13-15 million euros a year
  • they want to continue with only Norwegian and Danish riders
  • They are talking with Kristoff, Bystrøm and Boasson Hagen about next season

Damn, I missed that part.

Guess my whole thread is entirely premature and pointless then :D

• Wow
Guess my whole thread is entirely premature and pointless then

Not at all. A cool team that likes to attack in all races. Even if there still is a long road ahead to WT-status, they are already making an impact in many races with young and talentet riders. I am not sure Kristoff or Boasson Hagen still will have the legs to win in 2023 and they shouldn't waste to much money on them other than to bring some experience and knowledge into the squad.

Uno-X, the company, is also sponsoring races and minor teams/local clubs in both Norway and Denmark, so they're quite involved in the sport.

If they want to become a WT team or if they're even trying to get a TdF invite for the start in Denmark, it makes sense for them to bring in some more established names for next season already. According to PCS they only have seven riders under contract for next year, so It'll be interesting to see how many of their current riders across their two teams who'll be resigned, and also how many of them who'll be put on the development team, if it continues. Charmig was always going to join the pro team in July, because he wanted to ride some smaller races during the first six months after he'd been out of the peloton for some time, though he obviously didn't need long to readapt. The Johannessen twins should also be promoted if they can keep hold of them.

Regarding their women's team, as I understand the new WWT rules, they won't be first in line for a WWT license for next season, because they are a completely new team, but the old rules wouldn't have allowed them to be considered at all, as was the case for Jumbo-Visma this year. We also don't know who will be riding for them yet, I think only Bak and former GB track rider Hannah Mayho, who will be the team's nutritionist, have been announced. I guess they might pick up some of the riders from Team Rytger, which also has Uno-X as a sponsor.

According to PCS they only have seven riders under contract for next year, so It'll be interesting to see how many of their current riders across their two teams who'll be resigned, and also how many of them who'll be put on the development team, if it continues. Charmig was always going to join the pro team in July, because he wanted to ride some smaller races during the first six months after he'd been out of the peloton for some time, though he obviously didn't need long to readapt. The Johannessen twins should also be promoted if they can keep hold of them.
There are strong rumors in Norway saying Markus Hoelgaard will go to Trek (even if he is one of the 7 with contract for next season) and Jonas Hvideberg to DSM, but that's the only serious rumours I've seen of riders leaving. From the guys without a contract yet I don't think there is anyone that will attract big interest from the WT-teams yet, except the Halland Johannessen brothers, which im pretty sure will stay, no need to try something else when they clearly have found a team that works (they are both pretty new to road racing previously raced MTB and CX) and they will for sure be treasured.

The rest of the Norwegian riders not mentioned above will sign a contract the second they get offered it, no way they want to jump ship now. So the challenges are probably some of the danish riders, like Niklas Larsen.

The Developement team will continue 100% from what I've heard.

I'm also very interested in seeing who will be re-signed. :p
Mr. Word Champion.

I definitely wrote that efter reading the other thread. You can call it an homage, if you will :tearsofjoy:

Larsen, Johansen, and Rodenberg pretty much signed with the team because they were allowed to focus on the track for the Olympics. Though, I can't remember if they had contracs for this year from the beginning...

Yes and both Johansen and Larsen were approached by JV before they signed with Uno-X, so they could still be interested in them.
Of course they haven't showed much on the road yet because of the track program, but if they bring home the team pursuit gold in Tokyo, that might be enough for a WT team to sign them.

There are strong rumors in Norway saying Markus Hoelgaard will go to Trek (even if he is one of the 7 with contract for next season) and Jonas Hvideberg to DSM, but that's the only serious rumours I've seen of riders leaving. From the guys without a contract yet I don't think there is anyone that will attract big interest from the WT-teams yet, except the Halland Johannessen brothers, which im pretty sure will stay, no need to try something else when they clearly have found a team that works (they are both pretty new to road racing previously raced MTB and CX) and they will for sure be treasured.

The rest of the Norwegian riders not mentioned above will sign a contract the second they get offered it, no way they want to jump ship now. So the challenges are probably some of the danish riders, like Niklas Larsen.

The Developement team will continue 100% from what I've heard.

My whole list of riders out of contract was for next year, so now it's pretty much pointless.

Almost ALL Norwegian and Danish riders are out of contract for 2023, so most anyone is in the mix.

It will however be interesting to see, if any Norwegian/Danish riders sign 1 year extensions with their current team this year, as that may be a strong hint of Uno-X being in their future.

Yeah... I don't think anyone's contract situation for 2013 is gonna matter much. :p

Here's something you may want to consider.

I posted, noticed my typing error, and my immediate thought was:

"I better correct that fast, or the redhead is certain to leave a comment on it"

Turns out I was too slow, despite only taking 20 seconds :p

Could they take over the Bike Exchange licence ? Or even have some kind of merger ?
Given the UnoX boss said they want to continue with only Norwegian and Danish riders there are 2 out of 27 BikeExchange riders that are interesting, so I doubt a merge here is likely.
If they want to become WT they need a lot of good results next season. For that they need good riders (Kristoff and Bystrøm will be very good signings for example).

Given the UnoX boss said they want to continue with only Norwegian and Danish riders there are 2 out of 27 BikeExchange riders that are interesting, so I doubt a merge here is likely.
If they want to become WT they need a lot of good results next season. For that they need good riders (Kristoff and Bystrøm will be very good signings for example).

Kristoff will need to step up the rest of the season, his current points would only bring them to 22nd on the team ranking.

Signing Fuglsang, would bump them to 15th.

Now - and I'm dreaming here - if they were to sign Fuglsang, Kristoff and Honore, they would jump to 11th, just squeaking by Movistar, and be a team to be considered, in most terrains :p

Obviously that is all based off the latest official UCI rankings, things may change.

Fuglsang used to talk about wanting to end his career on a Danish team - and this is the closest thing around (and he would probably bring Gregaard).
Kristoff I dunno - but would assume he would love to ride for a Norwegian team.
Honore is a more difficult sell, he may not have captains ambitions, and wish to extend with a DQ sure to want to keep him - he would probably need a significant salary bump to move, But I am thinking he is worth it - I think he can be an ace for climby classics and for weeklong stage races, and would fit in well, with Uno-X's "wolfpack light" approach.

These guys are not cheap, so I think they need a co-sponsor, if they are to make the WT for next year..... and a Danish one would be an obvious choice.

- Get with the programme Carlsberg - or Arla - Reitan can do you a good deal, for your products sales in Rema 1000 and 7-Eleven...... or maybe Ørsted or Vestas think cycling is the perfect vehicle for promoting clean energy to the world? :p

Last edited:
it's basically the only way for them to step up to WT. They need to buy a license of an existing team.

There will be only 18 WT teams in 2023, and Uno-X is miles away from coming anywhere close to fitting the necessary sporting criteria. Even if they sign Fuglsang and Kristoff for 2022 it'll be unlikely, as the ranking for 2023 will be based on the team's results from 2020 to 2022.

• Wow
Reactions: yaco and Sandisfan
A WT team planning to limit itself only to 2 countries of 11 million total population doesn't sit particularly well with me. Euskaltel once managed even more extreme Basques only policy so I guess it's possible to do but then they had no business in many WT races like northern classics etc. so it wasn't really great from a sporting perspective. I don't mind nation-focused teams but if they aren't opening themselves to a possibility of signing even a few riders outside their rather small focus region, they're going to be at a serious disadvantage compared to other WT teams. I would rather have teams not shooting themselves in the foot like that nowadays, when the level in professional sport is increasing, the gaps between competitors shrinking and it's increasingly difficult to stay at the top of your game. They're pretty unlikely to win the battle for every single top Danish and Norwegian rider over other teams.

A WT team planning to limit itself only to 2 countries of 11 million total population doesn't sit particularly well with me. Euskaltel once managed even more extreme Basques only policy so I guess it's possible to do but then they had no business in many WT races like northern classics etc. so it wasn't really great from a sporting perspective. I don't mind nation-focused teams but if they aren't opening themselves to a possibility of signing even a few riders outside their rather small focus region, they're going to be at a serious disadvantage compared to other WT teams. I would rather have teams not shooting themselves in the foot like that nowadays, when the level in professional sport is increasing, the gaps between competitors shrinking and it's increasingly difficult to stay at the top of your game. They're pretty unlikely to win the battle for every single top Danish and Norwegian rider over other teams.

I don't think they will only sign Norwegians and Dames(or Danes), but they will probably always make up at least 50 % of the team.

Do you have any basis for that claim because post #3 in this thread claimed that they want to continue with ONLY Norwegian and Danish riders so I'm curious who of you two is right here. :p

The way I understood the general manager Jens Haugland they will continue to be a Norwegian/Danish team and they won't bring in well known riders from other countries, but I dont think they're excluding picking up younger prospects that aren't from Norway or Denmark. That remains to be seen. Anyway, I doubt they will be as strict in that regard as Euskaltel was.

In the article here: https://www.tv2.no/sport/14054558/ Jens Haugland says:
"– Vi skal ta vare på å utvikle stammen vi har, men vi skal også forsterke laget ytterligere. Vi har referert til Ajax-modellen tidligere, og vi skal bevare filosofien på øverste scene. Med herrelaget ønsker vi per nå å beholde tanken om et lag kun bestående av norske og danske ryttere, sier Uno-X-sjefen. "

In English: "for the mens team we want to keep the idea of a team ONLY having Norwegians and Danish riders"

...but of course that can change anytime in the future,

TRENDING THREADS