• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Unofficial I hate Versus thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
My 2 cents - which have probably been echoed over and over already.

No commercial breaks at finish for me like others complained about. Yes, they spend a lot of time with interviews - some I like and some I don't. Same thing with the tech features, sometimes I like em' and sometimes I don't. Phil, sadly now makes a lot of mistakes with riders names because his brain is getting old.

It is better than nothing, better than spotty internet streams, not as good as euro coverage. I am happy to be able to watch it at least.

Americans are into Nascar where there is not much more than driving in circles. Unfortunately, someone that knows nothing about cycling and watches versus will get bored. Americans just are not into cycling...cause of the spandex no doubt. They need to make it more interesting to the average joe somehow...which they are trying to do but not necessarily acomplishing.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
When you get to 80 posts, I MIGHT take you seriously enough to do so.

Wow, if number of posts is a sign of intelligence, you must be really smart.

Oh wait, Ive read your posts.

Apparently it just means you have a lot of time on your hands.

A

Anonymous

colwildcat said:
Wow, if number of posts is a sign of intelligence, you must be really smart.

Oh wait, Ive read your posts.

Apparently it just means you have a lot of time on your hands.

You obviously have a lot of dried semen on yours.....

Turd Ferguson said:
Americans are into Nascar where there is not much more than driving in circles. Unfortunately, someone that knows nothing about cycling and watches versus will get bored. Americans just are not into cycling...cause of the spandex no doubt. They need to make it more interesting to the average joe somehow...which they are trying to do but not necessarily acomplishing.

See here's what I don't get. Americans don't watch cycling so why dumb it down for a general public that doesn't give a crap? Better to go hardcore and serve the niche market well than alienate them to serve an audience that never shows up.

Marketing people are ***. How come they always end up making the decisions?

May 5, 2009
Visit site
hulkgogan said:
See here's what I don't get. Americans don't watch cycling so why dumb it down for a general public that doesn't give a crap? Better to go hardcore and serve the niche market well than alienate them to serve an audience that never shows up.

Marketing people are ***. How come they always end up making the decisions?

Simply because TV advertisers don't pay big bucks to reach niche audiences. Versus is trying to make it with the NHL, a sport nobody watches on TV. Lances return has presented them with the chance to finally make some money. But, ratings means slanting the coverage and dumbing it down. So, we can either stop complaining and watch the coverage we have, or continue to gripe about something we can't change.

A

Anonymous

Ok, even the little 90's graphics men Versus uses to show the effect of wind have one with a yellow, one with a green, and one in an Astana jersey among them.....I just don't have words......

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Ok, even the little 90's graphics men Versus uses to show the effect of wind have one with a yellow, one with a green, and one in an Astana jersey among them.....I just don't have words......

try a thesaurus, they come in handy.

This isn't hard, they feel their target audience wants to know where Lance is. Yes, we know you hate Lance

A

Anonymous

colwildcat said:
try a thesaurus, they come in handy.

This isn't hard, they feel their target audience wants to know where Lance is. Yes, we know you hate Lance

They want to know where Lance is in a graphic that demonstrates how the wind affects cyclists? Really? You are that much of a chamois sniffer that you need to know where he is in cartoon depicting fake cyclists........doesn't surprise me.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if they pull the plug on the show if the boss would have to abandon race in the unlikely case of a crash. Or would the little Astana jersey turn white with a red cross painted in the middle (for the Versus target audience, the inverse Swiss national championship jersey) and a GPS location of the hospital...

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
They want to know where Lance is in a graphic that demonstrates how the wind affects cyclists? Really? You are that much of a chamois sniffer that you need to know where he is in cartoon depicting fake cyclists........doesn't surprise me.

There you go, assuming everyone who has the nerve to disagree with you is a fanboy or a chamois sniffer, whatever the hell that means. I didn't say I need to know, I said they feel the American viewer, most of whom have no clue what an echelon is, might want to know. I'm not their target, nor are you. You obviously know more about cycling than anyone here.

A

Anonymous

colwildcat said:
There you go, assuming everyone who has the nerve to disagree with you is a fanboy or a chamois sniffer, whatever the hell that means. I didn't say I need to know, I said they feel the American viewer, most of whom have no clue what an echelon is, might want to know. I'm not their target, nor are you. You obviously know more about cycling than anyone here.

So their target audience consists of people who need to know where Armstrong is in an animated instructional video? You were able to discern this through your vast powers of interpretation? I would suggest that when the answer is stupid.....well.......

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Guys pay no attention to Food-for Brains--he is one of those message board all-stars, with the high post count...He thinks you don't know anything if you have a low post count...seen his type for years on other message boards, his type can be quite funny if you take them at their comedy value.

Thank god they made a doping section so he and all of the other dope talkers can talk about their "knowledge" about this subject, in their own little world.

I checked the board yesterday for the first time in a while, and was so happy to see a new section...Thanks CN

And getting to watch Versus, at work on my laptop, or the 42 inch LCD computer screen we have in the office, is awesome, thank you Versus for the live english speaking, no lag, no commercial broadcast. I'm even getting people that have never watched cycling before, stopping by from different departments in the hospital to watch it some in the mornings..

Off to ride...

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
So their target audience consists of people who need to know where Armstrong is in an animated instructional video? You were able to discern this through your vast powers of interpretation? I would suggest that when the answer is stupid.....well.......

And your explanation is what exactly? That the people who are smart enough to be running a TV network just threw it in there for no reason? And sorry, I didn't see the exact video you're railing on about, I thought you were refering to their illustration of where the leaders jerseys were in relation to the peloton

A

Anonymous

colwildcat said:
And your explanation is what exactly? That the people who are smart enough to be running a TV network just threw it in there for no reason? And sorry, I didn't see the exact video you're railing on about, I thought you were refering to their illustration of where the leaders jerseys were in relation to the peloton

Oh, I knew what you were referring to the whole time. I just kept wondering when you would catch up with the fact that you flamed me without knowing what you were talking about. I would suggest that if you are going to be an *** to someone who has never posted anything in regards to you, you do it only when you know what the hell the person you are insulting is talking about. My explanation is that Versus is doing everything they can to market Mr Armstrong, and that it is onerous and done so for the benefit of some of the most ignorant (meaning uninformed) people who watch cycling. That they have bothered to do it is merely clear evidence of the whole gestalt of this thread. I am on topic, you are just looking to insult someone for reasons that are obvious to anyone who ever took a Psych 101 class.

I have said before, I will post respectfully with anyone who shows the same. You haven't, but please, don't feel the need to stop. I enjoy making asswipes look stupid.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Oh, I knew what you were referring to the whole time. I just kept wondering when you would catch up with the fact that you flamed me without knowing what you were talking about. I would suggest that if you are going to be an *** to someone who has never posted anything in regards to you, you do it only when you know what the hell the person you are insulting is talking about. My explanation is that Versus is doing everything they can to market Mr Armstrong, and that it is onerous and done so for the benefit of some of the most ignorant (meaning uninformed) people who watch cycling. That they have bothered to do it is merely clear evidence of the whole gestalt of this thread. I am on topic, you are just looking to insult someone for reasons that are obvious to anyone who ever took a Psych 101 class.

I have said before, I will post respectfully with anyone who shows the same. You haven't, but please, don't feel the need to stop. I enjoy making asswipes look stupid.

we were making the same point, that you and I are not their target audience.

I simply grow tired of seeing you feign intellectual superiority on thread after thread.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
Guys pay no attention to Food-for Brains--he is one of those message board all-stars, with the high post count...He thinks you don't know anything if you have a low post count...seen his type for years on other message boards, his type can be quite funny if you take them at their comedy value. Off to ride...

I think part of it's just because it's pretty tough to get your @$$ kicked through a LAN cable after saying something stupid or bad mouthing somebody else. Plus when somebody sees they're losing an argument online they can just walk away, as opposed to having to stay engaged in a face-to-face conversation and looking like the idiot they probably are.
FYI - That's the correct argument and everybody else is wrong. I know because I have 3 degrees, one of which is a Masters in Internet Arguing and Just Being Generally Awesome Online and I've been teaching a debate class at Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Ed's Oil Change and Community College for 10 years. I was also raised by Einstein, Condy Rice, and Zeus himself. It's totally true and nobody can prove me wrong.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
And getting to watch Versus, at work on my laptop, or the 42 inch LCD computer screen we have in the office, is awesome, thank you Versus for the live english speaking, no lag, no commercial broadcast.
Versus... they need an ad with the tag line, "Fluffing LA all the way to Paris."

A

Anonymous

colwildcat said:
we were making the same point, that you and I are not their target audience.

I simply grow tired of seeing you feign intellectual superiority on thread after thread.

Again, trace it back. Just like you, almost all of my flames and barbs are directed at people who pop off on me. Their psychological reasoning being that it is a reaction to the common trait of disliking the feeling of inferiority. They then determine that they can show me (or anyone who raises this response within them) they are superior. I just keep throwing it back because I have no reason to capitulate and offer humble dialogue. You want to challenge my intelligence, feel free. I assure you that I am not scared. Doesn't mean that I think I am the smartest person walking. It just means that if you are going to jump into that kind of contest with me, I will use my intellectual resources to the best of my ability. The fact that I am confident in my thought process is merely a reflection that I know that I am pretty smart. I have always tested quite well and have no reason to act like I haven't. I have been bested before by people who were more intelligent.

You want to keep going with this, again, feel free. You created the initial dialogue, so it will go as long as you wish because I have no reason to quit until you do.

A

Anonymous

grimpeur said:
Versus... they need an ad with the tag line, "Fluffing LA all the way to Paris."

:eek: Send it in to them, tell Bob they can use a picture of him as the graphic.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
This is just nasty!

Thoughtforfood said:
You obviously have a lot of dried semen on yours.....

I said it on another thread, I'm gonna say it again- I was away from the forum for 4wks. Before, most posters were intelligent, reasonably respectful adults. Now, I come back and the forum is overwhelmed by classless, loudmouthed a**holes. If I want to read garbage from a bunch of trash-talking lowlife children I'll go to myspace. Where are you 53x11, Bianchigirl, Alpe d'huez et al?
As for you pal, you should be banned from the forum for tasteless junk like this comment. Grow up!

A

Anonymous

marinoni said:
I said it on another thread, I'm gonna say it again- I was away from the forum for 4wks. Before, most posters were intelligent, reasonably respectful adults. Now, I come back and the forum is overwhelmed by classless, loudmouthed a**holes. If I want to read garbage from a bunch of trash-talking lowlife children I'll go to myspace. Where are you 53x11, Bianchigirl, Alpe d'huez et al?
As for you pal, you should be banned from the forum for tasteless junk like this comment. Grow up!

Aren't you sweet......and hypocritical.....................

Look, I understand what you are saying. You should also understand that there have been a onslaught of fanboys who just insult and insult and insult. That was directed at one who had done so several times in the last couple of days. I would suggest for future posts regarding topics such as this, that you refrain from insult yourself unless you want to appear to be clueless and hypocritical. Your rant is no better than anything you are ranting about.

Past that, I have put several on ignore because their main point seemed to be to insult me and others who disagree with their opinions. I would suggest you could do the same for me and spare yourself the embarrassment of posting about that which you exhibit. Just a suggestion.

A

Anonymous

forty four said:
so the solution would be no vs coverage? wtf it was ok for the years la was gone certainly better than no coverage?:confused:

No, the solution would be better commentators in my opinion. But like many have said, that freaking HD is too sweet to pass on.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Aren't you sweet......and hypocritical.....................

Look, I understand what you are saying. You should also understand that there have been a onslaught of fanboys who just insult and insult and insult. That was directed at one who had done so several times in the last couple of days. I would suggest for future posts regarding topics such as this, that you refrain from insult yourself unless you want to appear to be clueless and hypocritical. Your rant is no better than anything you are ranting about.

Past that, I have put several on ignore because their main point seemed to be to insult me and others who disagree with their opinions. I would suggest you could do the same for me and spare yourself the embarrassment of posting about that which you exhibit. Just a suggestion.

Yeah well, In the short time since my post, I've been pm'd by a few people giving me the lowdown about you, so say hello to the ignore button lowlife.

TRENDING THREADS