• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Updated UCI rankings

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Another aspect to remember is that there will be restrictions for how many PT races that a Pro Continental team can ride next year. If I remember the change correctly then they would get a pool of 18 points that they can spend to be allowed into PT races. When the points run out they can't enter any more PT races even if they have technically qualified.

Looking at the top 17 of the ranking there could be as much as 4-5 teams that won't be PT teams next year that still qualify for the historical events. Those teams won't be able to ride all those races so chances are there will be lots and lots of wild cards in some top races.

The points cost for races was listed as:

9 Points - Tour de France
6 Points - Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Milan-San Remo, Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, Amstel Gold Race, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Giro, Dauphiné, Tour de Suisse, Vuelta.
3 Points - Tour of Catalunya, Gent-Wevelgem, Vuelta Pais Vasco, Flèche Wallonne, Tour de Romandie, Clasica San Sebastián, Tour of Lombardy, Tour Down Under, Tour de Pologne, Vattenfall Classic, Eneco Tour, GP de Plouay, GP de Québec and GP de Montréal.

So any non-PT team that rides the Tour will have spent half of their budget on that one race. This means that Pro Continental teams will not be able to focus on both cobbles, ardennes and GTs anymore. This can be very critical for teams like Cervelo, BMC or Vacansoleil etc if they don't get a PT licence.

The news of these changes are from May but a final descision was to come in June. Does anyone know if these changes are still on the books or if anything has been scrapped?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Another aspect to remember is that there will be restrictions for how many PT races that a Pro Continental team can ride next year. If I remember the change correctly then they would get a pool of 18 points that they can spend to be allowed into PT races. When the points run out they can't enter any more PT races even if they have technically qualified.

Looking at the top 17 of the ranking there could be as much as 4-5 teams that won't be PT teams next year that still qualify for the historical events. Those teams won't be able to ride all those races so chances are there will be lots and lots of wild cards in some top races.

6 Points - Paris-Nice, Tirreno-Adriatico, Milan-San Remo, Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, Amstel Gold Race, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Giro, Dauphiné, Tour de Suisse, Vuelta.
3 Points - Tour of Catalunya, Gent-Wevelgem, Vuelta Pais Vasco, Flèche Wallonne, Tour de Romandie, Clasica San Sebastián, Tour of Lombardy, Tour Down Under, Tour de Pologne, Vattenfall Classic, Eneco Tour, GP de Plouay, GP de Québec and GP de Montréal.

So any non-PT team that rides the Tour will have spent half of their budget on that one race. This means that Pro Continental teams will not be able to focus on both cobbles, ardennes and GTs anymore. This can be very critical for teams like Cervelo, BMC or Vacansoleil etc if they don't get a PT licence.

The news of these changes are from May but a final descision was to come in June. Does anyone know if these changes are still on the books or if anything has been scrapped?

I'm wondering how many pro-continental teams would want to choose the GP de Quebec and GP de Montreal. There are only 2 "America Tour" PC teams... BMC and Scott-Marcondes... and BMC would rather be in the european races.

How does it work with "regular" continental teams?

ingsve said:

so tirreno adriatico is worth as much as the giro. What the f**k is up with that.

kurtinsc said:
I'm wondering how many pro-continental teams would want to choose the GP de Quebec and GP de Montreal. There are only 2 "America Tour" PC teams... BMC and Scott-Marcondes... and BMC would rather be in the european races.

How does it work with "regular" continental teams?

I don't think continental teams are allowed to ride the Pro Tour at all which is one thing that is keeping Tour of California from becoming a PT race probably. In the historical races the organisers are free to invite who they want from PT and pro continental but for other PT races it is restricted to the PT teams and the top 17 pro continental teams in the 2010 ranking.

I'm thinking that the canadian races and other lower stature PT races will see some lower ranked pro continental teams that won't have a chance to ride the GTs or the monuments etc. Teams like ISD-Neri, CFS-Colnago Aqua & Sapone etc.

The Hitch said:
Then again, TDU is a 7 consecutive days, 7 races, - 100 points

Paris Roubaix is one day, one race. Done - 100 points.

while we are on the subject, i think the UCi should make a bigger deal out of this points thing. It should be a year round thing - like tennis, where you keep the points from a win up until that event takes place the following year, and they should have a jersey for whoever is leading the rankings at that time.
over the course of the last 40 years I have been following cycling. I have seen the rankings changes and return to the same thing. Who remember now the "super prestigue Pernod" of the 70's when the highest ranked rider was awarded that title and a prize.

TRENDING THREADS