• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Updated UCI rankings

There will still be some changes with the Vuelta, the rest of the calendar, and teams possibly losing their sponsors, but the 17 teams guaranteed entry into "monument events" for next year is just about set. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those races are the Tour, Giro, Vuelta, Paris-Nice, Paris-Roubaix, Tirreno, Lombardia, Flèche, Liège, and MSR.

1 ASTANA 884
2 TEAM SAXO BANK 788
3 TEAM KATUSHA 709
4 LIQUIGAS-DOIMO 634
5 OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO 621
6 RABOBANK 605
7 TEAM HTC - COLUMBIA 595
8 TEAM RADIOSHACK 562
9 BMC RACING TEAM 553
10 CAISSE D'EPARGNE 506
11 LAMPRE-FARNESE VINI 420
12 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI 419
13 CERVELO TEST TEAM 414
14 GARMIN - TRANSITIONS 393
15 QUICK STEP 309
16 ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI - SERRAMENTI PVC DIQUIGIOVANNI 243
17 SKY PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM 231
18 AG2R LA MONDIALE 182
19 COFIDIS, LE CREDIT EN LIGNE 148
20 BBOX BOUYGUES TELECOM 147
21 ACQUA & SAPONE 134
22 COLNAGO - CSF INOX 119
23 VACANSOLEIL 115
24 TEAM MILRAM 106
25 FRANÇAISE DES JEUX 88
26 SAUR - SOJASUN 63
27 TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN 60
28 LANDBOUWKREDIET 40
29 FOOTON-SERVETTO 31

We all know these rankings are flawed but that's just how it is for now. Teams 1-15 look like they're good to go. Frankly, I doubt there will be any changes in that top 17 at season's end but it's possible. All French teams out of the top 17 is going to make it tough for other teams looking for a wildcard entry into next years' Tour.

Does anyone know what happens if a team in the top 17 folds? Another wildcard or do they give an automatic to #18?

David Suro said:
Four US based teams in the top 15. Cool.

Does "based" really mean anything though? Over the last few years there have been several Italian teams based in Ireland but I don't think anyone really considers them to be Irish teams. I have a hard time calling Columbia (and even BMC to a lesser extent) US teams, but maybe that's just me.

Eyeballs Out said:
So as things stand we're going to be seeing a lot more of Savio's team next season ?

Could be some interesting riders pitching up there in the next few months

I hope they hang on to a spot as they are usually exciting to watch but they've got to do something about those kits. Sponsor overload! I could see them turning down some invites but it would be cool to see them in the Tour and/or Vuelta.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Booyaaa! =D

So Astana was the weakest team inside PT teams no? hahahaha

Definitely not the weakest. I still don't think they are the strongest team... but they aren't weak.

They are a bit top heavy... They have 4 riders with over 50 points (5 riders with any points) as opposed to a more balanced team like HTC that has 7 riders with over 50 and 14 with some points earned.

It will be interesting to see if someone passes Contador. I assume he's done with PT races for this year... could someone pass him? Rodriguez is 100 points down. Gilbert 180. LuLu, Andy, Gesink and Menchov are all more then 200 down. Could someone concievebly make that up?

Teams like Acqua e Sapone, Vacansoleil, Saur etc were only invited to few World Tour ranking races, so how can they ever score sufficient points?
It isn't a realistic reflection of the true teams strength. Only for the ones that got to participate in the most PT races...

The UCI is so incredible bad at inventing rankings.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Astana did a fantastic job in the Tour, showed themselves strong in the Giro and bagged an exciting LBL. It still surprises me that they're #1 though, but I guess that's how the points go down. :)

More then half of those points are from Contador alone.

I know we shouldnt speculate, bla bla bla, but where would caisse be if you know who didnt get his results revoked. I mean he had a tour of romandie, 2nd in paris nice, second in pais vasco + 2 stages + 2 podiums, and an lbl podium. Add to that LLS (who was leading it for half the year) TDU, Paris Nice podiums and the arroyo giro 2nd, they would have been having one hell of a season. Just saying.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Teams like Acqua e Sapone, Vacansoleil, Saur etc were only invited to few World Tour ranking races, so how can they ever score sufficient points?
It isn't a realistic reflection of the true teams strength. Only for the ones that got to participate in the most PT races...

Yeah, Paris-Roubaix is equal to the Tour Down Under for the UCI rofl.

The Hitch said:
I know we shouldnt speculate, bla bla bla, but where would caisse be if you know who didnt get his results revoked. I mean he had a tour of romandie, 2nd in paris nice, second in pais vasco + 2 stages + 2 podiums, and an lbl podium. Add to that LLS (who was leading it for half the year) TDU, Paris Nice podiums and the arroyo giro 2nd, they would have been having one hell of a season. Just saying.

Valverde had 392 points. Would have been close with Astana.

El Pistolero said:
Yeah, Paris-Roubaix is equal to the Tour Down Under for the UCI rofl.

Then again, TDU is a 7 consecutive days, 7 races, - 100 points

Paris Roubaix is one day, one race. Done - 100 points.

while we are on the subject, i think the UCi should make a bigger deal out of this points thing. It should be a year round thing - like tennis, where you keep the points from a win up until that event takes place the following year, and they should have a jersey for whoever is leading the rankings at that time.

The Hitch said:
Then again, TDU is a 7 consecutive days, 7 races, - 100 points

Paris Roubaix is one day, one race. Done - 100 points.

while we are on the subject, i think the UCi should make a bigger deal out of this points thing. It should be a year round thing - like tennis, where you keep the points from a win up until that event takes place the following year, and they should have a jersey for whoever is leading the rankings at that time.
Doesn't matter if the TDU is one day, one week, one month long: Paris-Roubaix is still more prestigious, harder to win, with tougher competition, i.e. worth more points than the TDU.

About the points thing: there used to be the World Cup, which is sort of the same idea as you describe here, I guess. At the end of the year the rider with the most points got it.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
18 AG2R LA MONDIALE 182
Frankly, I doubt there will be any changes in that top 17 at season's end but it's possible.

As all of these teams are at the Vuelta, what is the chance of Sky slipping out of the top 17?

theyoungest said:
Doesn't matter if the TDU is one day, one week, one month long: Paris-Roubaix is still more prestigious, harder to win, with tougher competition, i.e. worth more points than the TDU.

About the points thing: there used to be the World Cup, which is sort of the same idea as you describe here, I guess. At the end of the year the rider with the most points got it.

Yep the paris roubaix will always be more prestigious. The UCI figures arent the be all end all. Riders will get bigger rewards in prize money, status, contracts, prestige by winning the hell of the north. In one aspect, just one aspect- uci points, the tdu is equal to the pr. Why? to raise is prestige is all. As good a way of making a race important as i know.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Aren't they changing it for next season to something more inclusive? I thought I read a post on here about that a while back.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
whats the deal with FOOTON-SERVETTO next year??? do they get to ride the big tours,did they sign that silly thing that locks them in for next years big tours??? hope not :(

hard to belive bbox is in 20th...

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
16 ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI - SERRAMENTI PVC DIQUIGIOVANNI 243
18 AG2R LA MONDIALE 182

We all know these rankings are flawed but that's just how it is for now. Teams 1-15 look like they're good to go. Frankly, I doubt there will be any changes in that top 17 at season's end but it's possible. All French teams out of the top 17 is going to make it tough for other teams looking for a wildcard entry into next years' Tour.

Does anyone know what happens if a team in the top 17 folds? Another wildcard or do they give an automatic to #18?

Nicolas Roche just signed a 2 year extension with AG2r-La Mondiale. :(

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/cyclist-roche-pens-contract-extension-466900.html

I guess John Gadret is still alive. :D Well, at least they're a French team. :)

jaylew said:
18 AG2R LA MONDIALE 182

salixcycling said:
As all of these teams are at the Vuelta, what is the chance of Sky slipping out of the top 17?

I don't see it. None of those teams is likely to do much at the Vuelta. None of the 4 have much in the way of GC guys and the ones they do have just raced the Tour. Sky may send EBH for a couple of weeks for Worlds prep so he could score some points, but I don't see any of the French teams overhauling Sky via the Vuelta.

mowie133 said:
whats the deal with FOOTON-SERVETTO next year??? do they get to ride the big tours,did they sign that silly thing that locks them in for next years big tours??? hope not :(
I believe Footon is guaranteed entry into Pro Tour races for next year but not these:

Tour, Giro, Vuelta, Paris-Nice, Paris-Roubaix, Tirreno, Lombardia, Flèche, Liège, MSR

On another note, I finally figured out how to use the multi-quote!

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's a link to the detailed points for the teams. On;y the top five riders are counted, so further depth doesn't come into play.
http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template3/layout.asp?MenuId=MTU2NzU&LangId=1

Here is the list of races and the points available for each. The Vuelta winner earns 170 points for that, plus additional for every top five finish in a stage.

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/g...bjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NTgwMzQ&LangId=1

I wonder how many teams will send strong squads to the Canadian races to try to move up in the standings? I'm also really curious about the proposed Luxembourg team with the Schlecks. I remember last Fall watching as Astana and others had to meet various deadlines to qualify. At various points they had to have a certain number of riders signed, plus all the administrative stuff. Astana had to change a lot, but they still had half their squad. The new team has their work cut out for them. It's a risky situation for the Schleck boys.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
If you look at the country rankings Luxembourg's slipped into the top ten... pretty funny seeing as they have three pro riders total - one of which has been in a coma and another who has just broken their collarbone!

danyela said:
If you look at the country rankings Luxembourg's slipped into the top ten... pretty funny seeing as they have three pro riders total - one of which has been in a coma and another who has just broken their collarbone!

How 'bout a little love for Gastauer(Ag2r) and especially Laurent Didier? Didier did finish 33rd overall at the Giro this year - not bad at all!

TRENDING THREADS