• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USA Cycling National Criterium Championships, Downer's Grove, Illinois

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Did anyone else have the opportunity to get soaked in the rain yesterday in Downers Grove?
I was at the race for about a hour and when the rain picked up again, I split.
The race was delayed twice.

Luis Amaran (Colavita-Sutter Home) did a phenomenal job of holding off the field for ~70k.
This is a small course ~1.2 miles and half of it is uphill with 8 turns!!

In past years the breakaways would never last anywhere near that long. Usually the filed absorbs the break and then absorbs the next break and so on. I have never seen a successful break like yesterdays effort.

Congrats to Luis even though he didn't win the race. He sure chalked up a bunch of preen $$$.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I just posted my pics, mostly of the Pro W and Elite Men, I took off shortly after the pro race started.

The woman's race was animated by some surprising Tibco tactics, all hell broke loose when Kat Carroll launched a 2 to-go attack out of the Tibco lead-out train.
Here she is jumping the train.

The Elite Men's race faced some mid-race treachery when the skies opened up and dumped for 15 min....
Check out the peril

Late in the race a 2 man break turned into 5, and just barely stuck.
Here is the inital attack.

And the resulting glory.

More pics here...
http://otbphoto.smugmug.com/Road/862701

TRENDING THREADS