• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 313 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
The end result of USADA's actions may virtually destroy the UCI's "product" as it currently exists. It's not a surprise that McQ is deploying anything he can now. Without access to USADA's evidence, he has to assume that it's strong enough to cause huge ripples on several levels within the sport, and so he may not see himself as having anything to lose by going all in.

Just like USADA is fighting for its own ongoing relevance, since a bad loss here will render them wholly ineffective for many other future cases. If the precedents are set it won't take other athletes nearly as much in resources/cost to achieve a similar outcome in future.

With each rant and press release it condemns Armstrong further. It's funny. Ever since the UCI threw public support behind Armstrong the remaining believers have dried up. They've gone.

He's also lost. What will he do with the next doping case? The athlete will cite the Armstrong case.

So when JV makes his statements it will help. A lot.

MacRoadie said:
So now Paddy has finally come right out and said WADA is carrying out a witch hunt and is breaking it's own rules. That should go over well...

ETA: There goes the problem of USADA not being able to fund a protracted battle with Liestrong.

Paddy crossed the line when he unambiguously directed USADA to halt their proceedings. That just has to generate consequences.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Off topic

Off topic, I know. But the sheer gravity of the topic of this thread has it approaching the million views mark. I don't know if any thread has ever reached this count so quickly.

How about a pool for the date that it reaches a thousand thousands? I say Wednesday, August 15. :p

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
With each rant and press release it condemns Armstrong further. It's funny. Ever since the UCI threw public support behind Armstrong the remaining believers have dried up. They've gone.

He's also lost. What will he do with the next doping case? The athlete will cite the Armstrong case.

So when JV makes his statements it will help. A lot.

Well, to anyone who doubted, Armstrong attempting to strangle the case through the Courts has confirmed he is a doper.
Worse, the UCI involvement has confirmed that there has been an elaborate coverup and corruption.

mewmewmew13 said:
Cyclingnews.com bit.ly/P5MTIv

here it is....

Edit: oops thanks Weapons

No prob. I'm just glad to see that a major cycling media outlet is calling it like they see it, if not perhaps a little late in the game. Kudos to Benson for going all in now with the proper questions, even though in the past it's been said CN has given too much benefit of a doubt toward Armstrong & Co.

Also kudos to CN for letting the Clinic operate over the past few years, while other web sites essentially discouraged or tried to play down open talk of doping on their forums.

Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
No prob. I'm just glad to see that a major cycling media outlet is calling it like they see it, if not perhaps a little late in the game. Kudos to Benson for going all in now with the proper questions, even though in the past it's been said CN has given too much benefit of a doubt toward Armstrong & Co.

Also kudos to CN for letting the Clinic operate over the past few years, while other web sites essentially discouraged or tried to play down open talk of doping on their forums.

Kudos to those who instantly recognized that a forum at CN would be invaluable for spreading the word about this dirtbag so they left other forums to seize high ground and encouraged others to do likewise..

Not that I would know anything about that. :)

May 11, 2009
Visit site
benzwire said:
Bravo CN. McQuaid is a complete bafoon. I hope this brings him down, along with Hein V and Armstrong.

Quote:
"Historically over the last 10 to 15 years there has been a political campaign against cycling by senior people within WADA and I don't think that's acceptable," McQuaid told the press.
Source http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-im-not-trying-to-save-lance-armstrongs-skin

I'm not a McQuaid fan but I agree with him here.
**** pound appeared to be anti-cycling for years and it appeared that he was looking for publicity.

avanti said:
Quote:
"Historically over the last 10 to 15 years there has been a political campaign against cycling by senior people within WADA and I don't think that's acceptable," McQuaid told the press.
Source http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-im-not-trying-to-save-lance-armstrongs-skin

I'm not a McQuaid fan but I agree with him here.
**** pound appeared to be anti-cycling for years and it appeared that he was looking for publicity.

Yeah, it was clear from his unfounded criticism of that high quality, unbiased, and professional Vrijman report, that Pound's sole purpose in life was to discredit the UCI and Armstrong...

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Fausto's Schnauzer said:
Off topic, I know. But the sheer gravity of the topic of this thread has it approaching the million views mark. I don't know if any thread has ever reached this count so quickly.

How about a pool for the date that it reaches a thousand thousands? I say Wednesday, August 15. :p

I'll cop to about 5000 of those.

Also well done DB! I'd of loved to be at that press conference!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I really suspect that Armstrong has sent another check or checks to Verbruggen/McQuaid. Why wouldn't he, obviously he's willing to throw piles of cash at this problem. Seems obvious that Lance believes he is hedging his bets with the multi-pronged approach (or at least believed until McQuaid's recent letters to Howman and Bock).

Maybe it is just a matter of Armstrong basically blackmailing Verbruggen into coming to his defense but my guess is that some money has changed hands.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The UCI's idiot can't even say what he means;

The question at stake is that the authority of the UCI as an international federation and my colleagues by what is going on here with USADA and the support of WADA

He would be fun on the stand in front in Travis. :)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Fausto's Schnauzer said:

Not this little echo chamber with no more than 12 disciples?

This place is read regularly by all the pros who can read english, the cycling hacks, a few journalists no doubt (hi Dan Benson), anyone interested in Amrstrong's doping and not forgetting the most important part of any sport, the fans.

I guess Armstrong checks out the Clinic every morning over breakfast. Good healthy start to his day;)

The Clinic is a brand well known in cycling.:cool:

Judging by the writing of the USADA compared to Armstrong's muppets, I would place a pretty big bet that one side will be able to clearly, concisely, and forcefully answer questions from the judge. The other side, not so much.

That has to be a big plus in the USADA's favor.

BroDeal said:
Judging by the writing of the USADA compared to Armstrong's muppets, I would place a pretty big bet that one side will be able to clearly, concisely, and forcefully answer questions from the judge. The other side, not so much.

That has to be a big plus in the USADA's favor.

Well, there's always the Wookie (and I don't mean Keifel)...

May 14, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
When the laziest thing to do corresponds with the right thing to do, the right thing to do is almost always done.

:D Hahahaha. :D Love it. That may be my new forum signature.

The Daniel Benson piece read like real press work, and, like real press (which these days is an animal almost extinct) it really put the interviewee (McQuaid) in the hot seat. When you're asking questions like that, you want to stand clear - I'm sure McQuaid's sweat was flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.