• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valverde Banned - now can someone DNA test bag 'AC' please?

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Valverde Banned by DNA matching Puerto blood with a rider. Now can someone DNA test bag labelled 'AC' with a Tour de France winner with the name Alberto Contador please?

May 22, 2010
Visit site
he has provided every assurance that it wasn't his and that the initials are merely a coincidence. what more proof do you people want?!?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Its too selective an idea. What you should be calling out for is DNA testing of ALL the bags and ALL the current ProTour riders of any nationality

(logically this should be extended to all riders in continental teams or higher and all Spanish track and football players but that is equally extreme, unlikely to get support, and nothing I actually care about)

delbified said:
if it was Toni Colom, then why would AC have refused a DNA test?

Same reason most people would refuse one.

EDIT: I see Moose set the record straight (something I didn't know).

"I’ve already been saying it for a long time, but I hope this all changes someday. However, I also know that nowadays in cycling it’s this type of thing that sells papers, not the sport. And as far as Operación Puerto is concerned, if the authorities need me for something, I’m completely at their disposal. I can’t do more than that.”

Jul 7, 2009
www.dhbc.org.au
Martin318is said:
Its too selective an idea. What you should be calling out for is DNA testing of ALL the bags and ALL the current ProTour riders of any nationality
This is great idea - test them all and then we can be sure that no tainted riders are still not sanctioned. And while they're at it - extend the bans from 2 years to 10 (at least) - then they'll effectively never race again. All Valverde's "victories" since 2004 should be considered suspect and be cancelled out.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Quite a first post, that. I wasn't reading doping news at the time of Operacion Puerto, but I've seen elsewhere that Contador was only implicated because a document said "AC - same as (his roommate) or nothing. Dr. Fuentes even came out and said that he didn't know Alberto.

And like Moose said, there are other AC's in cycling. I guess people are looking for a smoking gun, or possibly a barking dog, but the case started in 2006, and Contador's big win prior to that was 2005 Setmana Catalana.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
You might have your facts mixed up.

"And even more, I am at the disposal of all the the authorities competent in doping (UCI, WADA, Olympic Committee, Federation) for any test they find appropriate to perform on me, including my DNA."

http://www.albertocontadornotebook.info/media.html

link

An article in Saturday’s LeMonde newspaper reported that he was interviewed by the Puerto judge Antonio Serrano in December 2006 and said then that the didn’t know Eufemiano Fuentes. According to the newspaper, he refused then to undergo a DNA test that would have judged whether or not he had any link to the blood bags that were found in Fuentes’ clinic in May of that year.

costs little to pump out PR that has little resemblance with the facts or truth.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
You might have your facts mixed up.

"And even more, I am at the disposal of all the the authorities competent in doping (UCI, WADA, Olympic Committee, Federation) for any test they find appropriate to perform on me, including my DNA."

http://www.albertocontadornotebook.info/media.html

Didn't the Spanish authorities say at some point that they wouldn't be doing any more tests? I think I recall something along those lines.

ETA: Here is the link of the Spanish federation dropping the investigation before AC decided to offer his full cooperation: http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/oct06/oct28news

And here is a refference to an earlier report in Le Monde where he refused to give DNA. http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road...07/interviews/tour_alberto_contador_stage1907

In other words, while the investigation was active he refused to give DNA, when it's closed he decides to cooperate.

Lamby101 said:
Valverde Banned by DNA matching Puerto blood with a rider. Now can someone DNA test bag labelled 'AC' with a Tour de France winner with the name Alberto Contador please?

We should demand DNA matching of all riders with Puerto and other investigations which have turned up evidence of doping, yes?

Or is "Attack Contador" the next tactic in the Lance team's arsenal? Distraction?

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Didn't the Spanish authorities say at some point that they wouldn't be doing any more tests? I think I recall something along those lines.
precisely. refuse to cooperate, then after the completion of investigations, announce your intention to cooperate fully. he's no different to Pharmstrong who does everything in his power to resist drug testing, without contravening his formal obligations. the intent of these guys is obvious to anyone willing to see past the BS.

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Operacion Puerto, but I've seen elsewhere that Contador was only implicated because a document said "AC"

And that he road for Liberty Seguros. That's like saying he road for Festina in 98.

delbified said:
link

costs little to pump out PR that has little resemblance with the facts or truth.

He was asked at the post time trial press conference if he would now provide such a sample. "I don't believe this is correct but if I have to do it then I will do it," he answered.

A journalist later returned to that subject, pointing out that he said that he would do so if he had to provide a sample. "Why not just do it and removed the doubts?" he was asked. "Because I am innocent and I don't have to prove everything to everyone," was his reply. "What do I have to do, give you my blood and my DNA?"

This was my original point. Unless there is something close probable cause that he in fact was a client, there is no point to providing DNA. In Valverde's case there was substantially more direct evidence liking him to Fuentes. Here you have initials that could belong to Contador or Colom. The fact that Colom was subsequently popped for doping, suggests that it is more likely to be Colom rather than Alberto.

LeMonde says Contador refused a DNA test.
Contador himself refuted this and stated that he's ready to give a DNA test.

Personally, I think Contador, Armstrong, etc. should all be DNA tested. I doubt anyone who has won a GT in the last 20 years has been clean.

Honestly, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on one of the Puerto bags having Contador's DNA. But then again, I think they're all guilty, so I'm perhaps overly cynical.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
This was my original point. Unless there is something close probable cause that he in fact was a client, there is no point to providing DNA. In Valverde's case there was substantially more direct evidence liking him to Fuentes. Here you have initials that could belong to Contador or Colom. The fact that Colom was subsequently popped for doping, suggests that it is more likely to be Colom rather than Alberto.

Sure there is a point, clearing yourself of suspicion. Lots of people agree to DNA tests to clear themselves or aid an investigation, even when there's no evidence against them. The police actually uses the technique in investigations with large pools of suspects and DNA. They ask everyone for DNA, and almost everyone agrees. The actual culprit is normally one of the very few or sometimes the only one who refuses. I won't say that him being guilty is the only possible explanation, but it's the most obvious. In particular it's the most obvious explanation for why his "principled" refusal lasts only as long as the investigation.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Oh that guy? I thought his initials were LA.

No, no, that would be the guy who climbed like the Chicken and time trialed like Spartacus. Past tense. Right now he climbs like Wiggins and Time Trials like Andy Schleck.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Well you can be sure the spanish themselves wont do anything to catch Contador, if Contador gets popped then it will be done by someone else. Im pretty sure Contador don't want to give DNA sample to say, italians and CONI.

TRENDING THREADS