• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Van Avermaet going down?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 10, 2011
Visit site
"I was a patient with Doctor Mertens. I'm going to explain myself to the federation, why I was there. I don't have anything to blame myself for. I'm going to give my explanation and then all will be behind me," Van Avermaet said after the race. "I didn't do anything wrong. I think that I'm a clean rider. Nothing has happened for which I should feel guilty. It's absurd that I always have to provide accountability."

It's not absurd GVA, not at all. You're in a sport that has been rife with this crap for decades and now it's in the public eye more than ever. Riders should stop being surprised by this and just deal with it.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
If Greg was doping he would have a sheadload of big race wins to his name instead of the constant stream of top ten but not quite good enough placings. Let's hope he is cleared asap.

doping doesn't higher your iq or racing intelligence :rolleyes:

May 27, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
anyone on the internet knows that greg is a good guy...

Same with Jens Voigt...made it through the entire doping period free from the junk, and smiling and saying witty things like "SHUT-UP LEGS!!!"...that Jens, such a friendly guy, no way he'd dope...:rolleyes:

Got it: Nice guys don't dope...or Everyone has a favorite doper, which is it?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Same with Jens Voigt...made it through the entire doping period free from the junk, and smiling and saying witty things like "SHUT-UP LEGS!!!"...that Jens, such a friendly guy, no way he'd dope...:rolleyes:

Got it: Nice guys don't dope...or Everyone has a favorite doper, which is it?

Vaughters called out Jens on Twitter the other week, saying his history was no different to that of Levis, TDs and CVVs I think, in response to something Matt Cooke posted, the Tweet got deleted, but MC got a screen shot.

EDIT: my apologies, I missed that this has already been mentioned in the JV Talks thread.

Mishrak said:
It's not absurd GVA, not at all. You're in a sport that has been rife with this crap for decades and now it's in the public eye more than ever. Riders should stop being surprised by this and just deal with it.

"I was a patient with Doctor Mertens. I'm going to explain myself to the federation, why I was there. I don't have anything to blame myself for. I'm going to give my explanation and then all will be behind me," Van Avermaet said after the race. "I didn't do anything wrong. I think that I'm a clean rider. Nothing has happened for which I should feel guilty. It's absurd that I always have to provide accountability."

It's absurd that he said something as absurd as what he said....

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Bernie's eyesore said:
If Greg was doping he would have a sheadload of big race wins to his name instead of the constant stream of top ten but not quite good enough placings. Let's hope he is cleared asap.
Sometimes I like your posts for being reasonable, but on this one you are plain and simple trolling,

You know fully wel that doping is not a guarantee for success

This is extremely disappointing from you. You have disqualiufied yourself immensely and only look as a clown due to this idiotic post.

Apparently it's about products which are allowed (out of competition an not injected), and they don't even have hard evidence that he actually had it in his possession, let alone used it, let alone used it in an illegal way
If that's true his lawyers shouldnt have too much trouble with it I assume

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
tough for Van Avermaet.
pays big bucks to gear up on AICAR, EPO and god knows what else.
manages to mask it succesfully.
gets busted for Diprophos.
sees guys like Froome skate with fasttracked TUEs for similar products.

Re:

Gung Ho Gun said:
Apparently it's about products which are allowed (out of competition an not injected), and they don't even have hard evidence that he actually had it in his possession, let alone used it, let alone used it in an illegal way
If there is no evidence, how the hell does the prosecution plan on winning this case?
Strikes me as more than a bit absurd.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
tough for Van Avermaet.
pays big bucks to gear up on AICAR, EPO and god knows what else.
manages to mask it succesfully.
gets busted for Diprophos.
sees guys like Froome skate with fasttracked TUEs for similar products.

This is always the shame of it, and why I sympathized with Landis even after his facade crumbled. I like van Avermaet, just as I'm sure he's done more than he's being asked to answer for. If he goes down for two years, so be it. Taking him down won't lead to anything other than pure procedural justice and cleans nothing. Cookson and UCI continue to oversee a sty*.

*Offense to pigs unintentional, they have no choice when farmers decide to dope them and they don't deserve the association with cycling.

Re:

Gung Ho Gun said:

Judicial standards for evidence, in country, don't apply in arbitration. "Sporting offenses" are 100% arbitration.

How GvA gets done by the federation is a complete mystery. I guess Belgium isn't a favored nation? Is anyone on the management committee from Belgium?

I really don't think he thinks he's cheating. If he gets two years and keeps his mouth shut, he'll be back racing again. It's the price you pay for being a professional. GvA is a fighter so many top 10 placings. I would have liked him to have won a monument before he got popped.

Ha BMC. Keep forgetting they are Phonak.

It almost seems to me that avoiding testing positive is a sport within the sport.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
From Wikipedia -

Haglund’s deformity is often called “pump bump” because the rigid backs of pump-style shoes can create pressure that aggravates the enlargement when walking.

Is he moonlighting!?!?

So did he or didn't he get suspended and fined? I'm confused.

Also, goddamn, let's just have two PRO tours, one is clean, the other is allowed to dope. It'll just make things easier. It's impossible to know who you can feel good about when the win (or podium!).

Re: heelz and legz

58teeth said:
From Wikipedia -

Haglund’s deformity is often called “pump bump” because the rigid backs of pump-style shoes can create pressure that aggravates the enlargement when walking.

Is he moonlighting!?!?

Many cyclists, including me, have pretty nice legs. I'd probably look pretty good in high heels...instead I'll continue to just spend 50% of my life in Lycra...

TRENDING THREADS