• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Van Avermaet going down?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

goggalor said:
Benotti69 said:
Crankpunk spells it out about BMC

http://www.crankpunk.com/blogs/crankpun ... d-out.html
Who thinks of BMC as the "good guys"? I've never heard of that. Everyone knows they're dodgy, it's just that they rarely get any big wins and their riders often animate races so no one cares. If they ever manage to perform according to their budget the Clinic will be all over them.

Seemed more of a rhetorical bit than anything, a set up a myth in order to bust it. That being said, Evans, Phinney, TJvG have a lot of people convinced, regardless of anyone else.

goggalor said:
Benotti69 said:
Crankpunk spells it out about BMC

http://www.crankpunk.com/blogs/crankpun ... d-out.html
Who thinks of BMC as the "good guys"? I've never heard of that. Everyone knows they're dodgy, it's just that they rarely get any big wins and their riders often animate races so no one cares. If they ever manage to perform according to their budget the Clinic will be all over them.

Well, you do have guys on BMC that are outspoken about doping, TJ? Surely he doesn't want to be involved with a team that has anybody doping. But then again, how do you know what every single person has done/will do on their own?

I think BMC has done a fine job internally trying to control/deal with doping. Sure, there have been some suspicious things in the past, like Gilbert's amazing run of the classics a few years ago, Hushovd etc...but they never came up dirty anybody.

Technically, he broke the rules with the association of the Dr. The cortisone thing, that is a joke, it is legal to use cortisone...ask Froome/UCI etc...just not during competition.

And as much as his face has been on the podium, on the front, making things interesting, you know he is getting tested pretty often. No positives. So...kind of a silly ban request...6 months....OK, give him the Danielson/Garmin treatment over the off season in September.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

zigmeister said:
Well, you do have guys on BMC that are outspoken about doping, TJ? Surely he doesn't want to be involved with a team that has anybody doping. But then again, how do you know what every single person has done/will do on their own?
Armstrong's training partner mate TJ?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Just watched the interview with GVA, was heartbreaking honestly. Glad he got cleared, he didn't do anything according to the tribunal so i'm going with that.

Re:

frenchfry said:
Maybe I don't understand, but it seems to me that if you have blood withdrawn then reinjected but call it ozone treatment that is OK?

Nope.

M1.1
The administration or reintroduction of any quantity of autologous, allogenic (homologous) or heterologous blood or red blood cell products of any origin into the circulatory system.

Any time you take blood out, and put it back, in any amount, it is against the rules (As written now. When Kittel went for his ozone treatments the rules were written differently).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

frenchfry said:
Maybe I don't understand, but it seems to me that if you have blood withdrawn then reinjected but call it ozone treatment that is OK?
could be wrong (and no time to double check), but i thought OZONE treatment was in the grey area because the bloodstream is never interrupted. Blood is pumped into some tube, is then radiated viz. treated with OZONE, and then pumped straight back into the veins. I.e. blood circulation remains continuous. Blood leaves the body, but it doesn't 'leave' the body. Technically it's not 'reinjection'.
something like that?

sniper said:
frenchfry said:
could be wrong (and no time to double check), but i thought OZONE treatment was in the grey area because the bloodstream is never interrupted. Blood is pumped into some tube, is then radiated viz. treated with OZONE, and then pumped straight back into the veins. I.e. blood circulation remains continuous. Blood leaves the body, but it doesn't 'leave' the body. Technically it's not 'reinjection'.
something like that?

WADA came out around the time of Kittel's use of the method was being publicised, and said (paraphrasing), it wasn't illegal then, but it is now under blood withdrawl and reinfusion.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Of course Greg is clean, he races for BMC, ex phonak and they were such a cool clean new generation team. I mean they have an anti doping saint in Taylor Phinney so they must be clean.

Saw him speaking with LeMond and the funny Italian announcer after a stage of the TdF last year. He seems like a genuinely good dude (but who knows!) so I'm glad to see this. Hopefully he can punch through to the top step more and more.

kosmonaut said:
nayr497 said:
He seems like a genuinely good dude (but who knows!) so I'm glad to see this.
To be a good dude doesn't mean you don't dope.

A lot of good guys have doped, and a lot still are. Even genuinely good dudes.

Usually the ones that stick in the sport while refusing to dope tend to be the ones that don't get along with anyone and therefore aren't affected by the peer pressure to dope. In short, nice guys are actually more likely to either quit the sport to not dope, or stay and dope.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cycling's name was thrashed a long time ago and those who participate in the sport are considered dopers by the majority of sports fans. Only those blind fans who follow certain riders think their 'hero' is clean.

Sport is still in its cosy cesspit and those in the sport are very content for it to remain there.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Cycling's name was thrashed a long time ago and those who participate in the sport are considered dopers by the majority of sports fans. Only those blind fans who follow certain riders think their 'hero' is clean.

Sport is still in its cosy cesspit and those in the sport are very content for it to remain there.

For the general opinion, it's still a big difference when someone is directly linked to doping or is a proven doper and when someone isn't.

TRENDING THREADS