• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vaughters on Astana, Armstrong in 2009 TdF (not good)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:
That's a relief. I was getting scared that next some arsenal or liverpool fan would start on - we'd be winning the title if only.... :eek: :eek::D

Funny thing is, I am a Gunners fan. Don't worry, we won't be winning the Premier League. Chelsea might choke, Man Utd won't.

This is a couple of days old, so I'm not sure why it wasn't posted here, but here is JV's clarification:

http://www.versus.com/blogs/in-the-know/jon-vaughters-explains-comments-about-wiggins-astana-and-armstrong/

The relevant quote:

A more correct way to say what I was trying to get across is that Astana was riding a defensive game on the mountain top finishes in the Tour," he explained. "They were upset with Alberto (Contador) in the Pyrenees for attacking solo. They had Kloden ride tempo for Lance on Verbier. Then on Ventoux Alberto was visibly at ease and chatting with Lance in the last kms.

The team was not "soft pedaling" per se, and Lance certainly wasn't, but I do think Alberto had quite a bit left in the tank on Ventoux, and the Alpes, at the very least

A

Anonymous

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I thought he had more balls than Oldboy - seems I was sadly mistaken. Just because someone has a hide the thickness of cheap printer paper doesn't mean you have to fall over yourself to appease them, does it?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
give jv some credit

c’mon guys and gals. i think jvs clarifications are ok and he deserves some credit for speaking out.

i don’t think there is much factual difference between ’soft-pedaling not to embarrass lance’ and ‘the team was not "soft pedaling" per se, and Lance certainly wasn't, but I do think Alberto had quite a bit left in the tank on Ventoux, and the Alpes, at the very least.

jv's saying:
berto saved lances podium by chosing not to dump his sorry **** on ventoux cos he berto was and is a real team player.

c'mon, how could you miss it, folks?:confused::D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Ooh to, Ooh to be, Ooh to be a Gooner!

I didn't need to wait long for Chelsea to choke.

Python is right. JV said nothing wrong. Harmless joking that was cleverly put out to the media. JV's translation says it all. Lance was on the edge and struggling, AC was far from it. Lance should remember his own advice and best not forget that he was well below one rider. Oh wait! He does, that is why he's perturbed!

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
python said:
c’mon guys and gals. i think jvs clarifications are ok and he deserves some credit for speaking out.

i don’t think there is much factual difference between ’soft-pedaling not to embarrass lance’ and ‘the team was not "soft pedaling" per se, and Lance certainly wasn't, but I do think Alberto had quite a bit left in the tank on Ventoux, and the Alpes, at the very least.

jv's saying:
berto saved lances podium by chosing not to dump his sorry **** on ventoux cos he berto was and is a real team player.

c'mon, how could you miss it, folks?:confused::D

Contador could have dumped Lance, and pulled Andy with him.

But Lance looked stronger then everyone else on Ventoux. I don't see how Contador going up the road would have hurt Lance on that day.

If Frank had been having a good day, it' would be something else... but Frank was struggling much more then Lance to hold on to the lead group on Ventoux. Where Contador could have cost Lance the podium is if he pushed the pace on Grand Bornand rather then riding on the Schleck's wheels for the most part. If he had put even turns in on that stage, Frank could have had another minute on Lance.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
This

Angliru said:
A definite Freudian slip. I'm going to go with his first quote as being what he really meant and the subsequent message as the censored for self preservation version.

JV still has people to report too, and sponsors to get. Things like his original quote (which I loved) may have been too harsh for the upper brass so they asked him to put out something less inflamatory. I will agree that what he really meant was in the first post not the follow-up.
Just my personal opinion, but if I was a potential sponsor I would give him more money for the first post then if I saw the second one. Just me though, plenty of others out there who wouldn't want to be associated with that.