• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

VDB to publish his blood values on line

A

Anonymous

Bag_O_Wallet said:
He's hoping to attract yet another new team by showing he's clean. One question: would any team be interested in a clean VDB?

I read this and vurped (vomit/burp). Of course I had a few of my favorite adult beverages, so that may explain my response.

Seroiusly, Who f'ing cares? Here we have another good dope responder who can't seem to figure it out... without the dope, you struggle. Welcome to the world the rest of us are in. VDB is pathetic.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
He's hoping to attract yet another new team by showing he's clean. One question: would any team be interested in a clean VDB?

VDB is publicity gold. Most popular rider in Belgium after Boonen.
Plus he's the most talented rider in the world. By far.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I plan on releasing my blood values on line as well. I want to show that a washed up overweight 55+ masters racer can do it clean.

I finished 4th in my crit today, after attacking the peloton to try and bridge up to the leading three man breakaway, so I will release my blood profiles to stop Big Boat saying I was jacked. I obviously am clean because I never quite made the junction across to the break.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
It's more or less impossible to know whether a rider at his prime in the 90's would have been a chump without dope, as all of the were supercharged in that period.
VdB would probably have been a very good rider in a clean world - he got very good results at a young age and he was probably genetically gifted (several pro riders in the family).
I always feel sad for VdB, a classy rider with a very fragile mind being exploited from early age by greedy DS' and living in a subculture ripe with PEDs and recreational drugs.

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Martinello said:
I always feel sad for VdB, a classy rider with a very fragile mind being exploited from early age by greedy DS' and living in a subculture ripe with PEDs and recreational drugs.

I think the subculture is the major problem riders face as they develop addiction behavior for the drugs they take and additional drugs to offset these problems. That's what killed Pantani who took a classical way of illegal drug addiction.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I finished 4th in my crit today, after attacking the peloton to try and bridge up to the leading three man breakaway, so I will release my blood profiles to stop Big Boat saying I was jacked. I obviously am clean because I never quite made the junction across to the break.

I suspect that you're not as good a "responder" to the dope that you're all clearly on.:p

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

Extremely talented. He's shown himself to be quite adept at holding wheels in the Tour of Qatar and even occasionally maneuvering to near the front in the sprint.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:
Extremely talented. He's shown himself to be quite adept at holding wheels in the Tour of Qatar and even occasionally maneuvering to near the front in the sprint.

He has also had some amazing performances in local Granfondos in Italy.

His talent comes in a syringe

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Yeah, but he's freaking nuts!

No good team will likely want him because he's so short tempered and hard to deal with.

He needs to get clean, plus get his head on straight.....

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
He has also had some amazing performances in local Granfondos in Italy.

His talent comes in a syringe

So all the guys he absolutely destroyed in '99 were clean? Or did VDB have some magical superdope the rest of the world didn't know about?

VDB has clearly f-cked up, but his talent is obvious.

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
So all the guys he absolutely destroyed in '99 were clean? Or did VDB have some magical superdope the rest of the world didn't know about?

VDB has clearly f-cked up, but his talent is obvious.

A super responder doped to the gills. End of story.

If VDB had a decent PR team we'd have a plethora of information about all the genetic super-freak qualities that he has. Like LA.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
A super responder doped to the gills. End of story.

You left out the Alpha and Omega etc etc part.

But seriously, now every great rider from that era is just a 'super-responder'? No real talents at all in that period?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

But seriously, now every great rider from that era is just a 'super-responder'? No real talents at all in that period?

He is a very talented car crasher, I'll give him that. Perhaps he publishes his blood values to show he is alcohol free? ;)

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:

I think you have to question super-human performances from that era. VDB had a few of those...

Laszlo said:
shocking, sad- what is the possibility dope or peds caused it ?

A very real possibility, directly that is, there's no doubt that indirectly doping would have contributed to this unfortunate situation.

Yet another tragic event which shows that professional cycling and the organisations which run it are playing Russian Roulette with people's lives.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Preliminary reports on the cause of death states 'blood clot' (http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/frank-vandenbrouckes-life-in-pictures) and 'pulmonary embolism' (http://spn.dk/cykling/article1849236.ece)

While it is likely that PEDs were involved it doesn't really make sense that VdB gets an embolism in these days of bio passports. Pulmonary embolisms and mural thrombosis were things of the early nineties (before the 50% hct limit), when semi-pros jacked their 'crit up to 59% without medical supervision.

On the other hand - maybe Frankie was in Senegal for some 'banking business' - so maybe Senegal is the new Mexico??

Anyways - many fans knew/feared it would end like this, either by suicide or accident. Poor VdB was never destined to live a long, happy life in retirement.

TRENDING THREADS