• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Veloclinic Blood Dope Simulator

In case this hasn't been posted, Veloclinic has been continuing work on the blood dope simulator.

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/44356957133/explained-blood-dope-simulator-n-blood-dope-physiology

My question is, how does one populate the simulator to have some confidence in the simulator. Lets' assume the simulator works. Don't we need athlete data? Or, is there some other way to gather the data?

It should be obvious by the question I know nothing about the topic.

Any feedback from knowledgeable people on the simulator itself would be great.

His basic conclusion, which doesn’t require all the formulae and graphs to support, is that transfusions and microdosing carry less risk, because they not only increase Hb mass, but also blood volume, so that the Hb concentration, which is what the passport measures, does not increase as much as the Hb mass. He could have stated that conclusion succinctly in a couple of sentences, without all the numbers.

We had a discussion here somewhat relevant to this about two years ago, in which JV gave some estimate on the relationship of power output to HT increase. His value, IIRC, was about 0.5 – 0.75, that is, for every 1% increase in HT there was about an 0.5 – 0.75% increase in watts. I cited some studies suggesting that this figure was highly variable, and could be much higher, in fact, sometimes the power increase is more than the HT increase.

In any case, the point is that there is not necessarily a simple, fixed relationship between Hb mass, oxygen uptake and power (even taking into account differences in efficiency and threshold). One complicating factor that is very relevant to doping is the HT. At high levels of HT, approaching 50%, blood flow may be hindered, which to some extent counteracts the greater amount of oxygen being carried. It’s important to bear in mind that it isn’t enough for the blood to carry more oxygen; it must also be able to dissociate this oxygen readily from the Hb at the tissue sites.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Mørkeberg:

AS: What kind of a spike in the numbers would you expect to see from a typical unit of transfusion?

JM: 0.8 grams per deciliter. For half a liter of blood, an increase in the hemoglobin concentration of 0.8 g/dL.

Merckx index said:
In any case, the point is that there is not necessarily a simple, fixed relationship between Hb mass, oxygen uptake and power (even taking into account differences in efficiency and threshold). One complicating factor that is very relevant to doping is the HT. At high levels of HT, approaching 50%, blood flow may be hindered, which to some extent counteracts the greater amount of oxygen being carried. It’s important to bear in mind that it isn’t enough for the blood to carry more oxygen; it must also be able to dissociate this oxygen readily from the Hb at the tissue sites.

This reminds me of a weird thing I heard about the purpose of Actovegin as a PED. It was not to increase oxygen carrying capacity of the blood but to make the blood or capillary walls "slipperier."