• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
EnacheV said:
mediocre in report with the attention he gets

he won 2 2nd rate GT's in all his career but he is treated like Messiah of cycling of something like that. Every time he tried TdF he failed hard.

Also i find him boring and not spectacular. That add to "mediocre" label that i have for him. Each with his own ladder of values.

Added on that, cheating seems perfectly fine for him.

No, he's not treated like a messiah at all. There are plenty of people that don't like him and talk him down. Sure, us fans of him talk him up and cheer for him in a "Nibali will dominate" or "will crush everyone" style of cheering, but it should be noted that plenty of the talking him up is said in a half joking manner that's all in good fun.

IMO, he's a strong and exciting racer. Always giving it his all, attacking, racing for the win, making the race a real race, and never giving in even when things aren't going well. He's shown these characteristics numerous times over the past couple years.

And he's only raced the Tour 3 times out of the 11 GT's he's raced. The Tours not the only race in the world that matters you know.

Afrank said:
No, he's not treated like a messiah at all. There are plenty of people that don't like him and talk him down. Sure, us fans of him talk him up and cheer for him in a "Nibali will dominate" or "will crush everyone" style of cheering, but it should be noted that plenty of the talking him up is said in a half joking manner that's all in good fun.

IMO, he's a strong and exciting racer. Always giving it his all, attacking, racing for the win, making the race a real race, and never giving in even when things aren't going well. He's shown these characteristics numerous times over the past couple years.

And he's only raced the Tour 3 times out of the 11 GT's he's raced. The Tours not the only race in the world that matters you know.

he is the most complete gc rider around. Better at 1 day races than AC, Froome, QUintana, and a better tter than JRod and Valverde.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Come to think of it Nibali kind of rode a dumb final. But yeah, he was so desperate to win in his home land..

Actually you could say Nibali was lost when he fell the first time, it broke his confidence for a good final downhill.
Your comments sometimes are completed off or disconnected with reality, like this one. I guess this is how you see things from your own little bubble. :eek:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
he is the most complete gc rider around. Better at 1 day races than AC, Froome, QUintana, and a better tter than JRod and Valverde.

At the moment for sure, but watch out for Quintana though. If you can win Emilia and finish 11th in your first Lombardia, you can win big classic races as well.

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Nibali is the only GT winner this year who was involved in the WCs.

Froome packed it like the rest of the Brits. Same with Horner. Nibali deserves accolades for his performance.

Horner crashed out though.

I think.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
another perspective from Belgium:

Gilbert had actually had his eye on the Italians during the race, who rode aggressively. “Bettini and Nibali like to attack. I often sat on the wheels of the Italians, that was the best choice on this dangerous course.....”

Belgian national coach Carlo Bomans praised the winner, saying, “I am glad that Rui Costa won and not a Spaniard. They did not do anything along the way.”

May 19, 2011
Visit site
"I'd rather finish fourth than loose the race like Spain did. Vincenzo fought all the way to the end and raced with intelligence. I'm proud that we're back as the best nation in the race," Bettini said.

"I've got no regrets and can only praise all the riders. They fought like lions. We took on the race, as we'd planned. Almost everyone crashed at some point except Pozzato, who had a puncture and changed bikes. We were unlucky that Paolini crashed with Nibali and Scarponi because the finale would have been different if he'd been up there with Vincenzo."

"If Vincenzo hadn't crashed, I'm sure he'd have been up there: either to fight for the win with Rodriguez or he would have dropped him and won alone."

hope this is true in a parallel world.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Nice words from Bettini. Agree 100% with him. They were aggressive and raced for the win all the way. And looking back on the race I'm sure they can be content with their performance knowing that.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Nice words from Bettini. Agree 100% with him. They were aggressive and raced for the win all the way. And looking back on the race I'm sure they can be content with their performance knowing that.

Agree with that part, but the way he talks about the Spanish squad is really simple. I mean, if they had won with Jrod or Piti, everyone would have talked about great team tactics. Now they don't win, they ridden cowardly...

Italy was the most agressive squad, but in the end they rode rather stupid. Take the initiative with 100 k to, ok, but they were nowhere in the final (only Nibbles and Pippo Pozzato were there, but the latter didn't really made a impact). Paolini crashed, that was of course a big disappointment in terms of their team tactics, but did they rode agressive and clever or a little bit opportunistic?

Arredondo said:
Agree with that part, but the way he talks about the Spanish squad is really simple. I mean, if they had won with Jrod or Piti, everyone would have talked about great team tactics. Now they don't win, they ridden cowardly...

Italy was the most agressive squad, but in the end they rode rather stupid. Take the initiative with 100 k to, ok, but they were nowhere in the final (only Nibbles and Pippo Pozzato were there, but the latter didn't really made a impact). Paolini crashed, that was of course a big disappointment in terms of their team tactics, but did they rode agressive and clever or a little bit opportunistic?

Making the race hard favours climbers. Waiting till the last lap favours puncheurs. Waiting after the last climb favours sprinters. Italy best sprinter Pozzato/Viviani. Best Puncheur- Nibali Best Climber - Nibali. Nibali is a world class climber but there are better puncheurs than him like Gilbert. Also there are better sprinters like Degenkolb. To favour Nibali they had to make the race hard. Drop the sprinters, drop the teammates of the puncheurs and make them so tired that they can't respond to the final acceleration. Strategy to perfection i would say for Italy.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Arredondo said:

Waiting till the last lap may have been a smarter plan. But it was also expected that the likes of Sagan and Cance would be able to get back on, so maybe racing hard early helped to ensure they didn't. Italy also didn't have 2 of the worlds best climbers like Spain did, so I don't know if they would have been able to have more people in the final group had they waited.

It might have been a good idea to have Visconti hold off on his attack, maybe do it closer to the final lap and with any luck Nibali could have had a teammate in the final.

I haven't been able to access the forum since halfway through the WC elite race so I'll offer a couple of thoughts now.

Italy strategy was absolutely perfect but it fell short when Nibbles, Scarponi and Paolini all crashed at the same time.
Bettini was hoping that Belgium and/or Spain would send someone up the road with Visconti when Gio attacked, but nobody followed and Visconti was screwed there. Bettini later said he would've called him back but with no radios it was no easy task.

But even after burning this match Italy planned to make the race hard a long time before the last lap. Paolini was about to attack when he crashed (you'll recall it was three laps from the finish). He said he was feeling excellent and everything was going according to the plan.

Scarponi's attack on Fiesole was meant to happen on the previous lap but Nibbles had just bridged and needed to rest a bit so they decided to wait for the last lap.

To me, Nibs made a mistake when he attacked on the last part of Fiesole dropping Scarponi. He should've stayed on his wheel and get to the top with that group. I beliefe the only rider who could drop them all at that point was purito but even if that happened, they could chase him back. Having two Italians in that group was crucial to have any chance of medal.

movingtarget said:
Nibali gambled on Valverde chasing and he lost. If Valverde could not chase like he said he couldn't, Nibali might have cost himself the race by not going after Costa. Valverde seemed to have nothing left depending on who you believe.

Unfortunately for Nibs it was all over when he couldn't keep with Purito on the descent. When he remained with Valv and Costa there was really no chance either way you look.

SafeBet said:
I haven't been able to access the forum since halfway through the WC elite race so I'll offer a couple of thoughts now.

Italy strategy was absolutely perfect but it fell short when Nibbles, Scarponi and Paolini all crashed at the same time.
Bettini was hoping that Belgium and/or Spain would send someone up the road with Visconti when Gio attacked, but nobody followed and Visconti was screwed there. Bettini later said he would've called him back but with no radios it was no easy task.

But even after burning this match Italy planned to make the race hard a long time before the last lap. Paolini was about to attack when he crashed (you'll recall it was three laps from the finish). He said he was feeling excellent and everything was going according to the plan.

Scarponi's attack on Fiesole was meant to happen on the previous lap but Nibbles had just bridged and needed to rest a bit so they decided to wait for the last lap.

To me, Nibs made a mistake when he attacked on the last part of Fiesole dropping Scarponi. He should've stayed on his wheel and get to the top with that group. I beliefe the only rider who could drop them all at that point was purito but even if that happened, they could chase him back. Having two Italians in that group was crucial to have any chance of medal.
Totally agree. Though Nibali's position the last time on Fiesole was also a mistake IMHO.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
“Astana Pro Team is building its 2014 program with very specific goals, including the Tour de France with our team captain Vincenzo Nibali. With Landa on board we take a great step not only towards July of next year, but into the years ahead as well.”

Although he has signed an initial two year deal with the team, Vinokourov hints that Astana may see him as a longer term prospect.

never been so eager to see Tour de Bore!

maxmartin said:
“Astana Pro Team is building its 2014 program with very specific goals, including the Tour de France with our team captain Vincenzo Nibali. With Landa on board we take a great step not only towards July of next year, but into the years ahead as well.”

Although he has signed an initial two year deal with the team, Vinokourov hints that Astana may see him as a longer term prospect.

never been so eager to see Tour de Bore!

Yup. He might not win, but they will make a carnage for sure :p

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The feelings after the race were different for Nibali, who crashed as a heavy favourite in the World Championships road race, only to fight his way back and then settle for a heartbreaking fourth place. Nibali suffered a similar crash in the Giro di Lombardia, forcing him to pull out long before the race reached Lecco.

“I crashed on the same hip that I fell on at the World Championships last week, and so I have a very deep bruise right now. I'm okay, but I couldn't stand up after the crash,” Nibali stated.

Team doctor Andrea Andreazzoli gave his squad leader the all clear after an examination, and said that most of his Astana team had trouble staying upright on another wet edition of Il Lombardia.

"Vincenzo fell on his hip and needed to be examined, but he is fine. In the same crash Paolo Tiralongo also crashed, and he suffered more serious abrasions and a bruise to his abdomen. Later in the race Francesco Gavazzi came down on a wet descent, so in total we had three crashes today," Andreazzoli said.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...Gasparotto-with-Il-Lombardia-fifth-place.aspx

Two crashes in two rainy days, hopefully there will be no psychological aftermath effect.