Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 17, 2011
1,315
0
0
jens_attacks said:
he seems to do an ullrich approach to le tour. so i'm not worried yet, we'll see his power on belles filles. the climb i mean. still months to go
Could be true, Ferrari on Nibali: "Nibali's form is late this year , but 2 months is a long time..."
 
Apr 16, 2014
533
0
0
Yes, Nibali's form is late this year. He is a family man. He did have his first baby - my guess is that his baby girl makes it all worthwhile.

He is not that far off the giant preying mantis alien. Under a minute in the ITT today and 5th place overall. Still time to improve or not, we'll see. He says he has the right "determination and wickedness" ;)
 
Sep 2, 2010
1,853
0
0
Adam.S said:
Did Nibali get injured in the winter and miss a training block?
Have you been reading the posts in the thread? No, his wife had a baby. Sounds like he just spent less time training than he usually would.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
nah, Jullich style or not. Nibali is always hitting one gigantic form per season. I will be really worried if Nibali showed excellent form right now, not the right time, not the right place, and not his style.

But this does not mean Nibali can sleep well at night, Froom showed his hand in Romandi, and possibly he could be even better in the Tour. So Niabali knows what numbers and racing weight he must achieve just before the Tour to have a go with the CF or AC.
 
What worries me about Nibali isn't him getting in shape by the time the Tour arrives, but rather than he has not "improved" his level to compete against the Alien & Contador:( I'm realistic about his chances on July, but I can't help thinking that he might be in super form by the time the Vuelta & the World's arrive.:)
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Adam.S said:
Did Nibali get injured in the winter and miss a training block?
whittashau said:
Have you been reading the posts in the thread? No, his wife had a baby. Sounds like he just spent less time training than he usually would.
He missed his winter training block due to sponsor commitment (same as contador last year) And having a baby didn't help his cause either to catch up. Nibali will be ready for Tour, for sure. (contador was ready for TDF last year). But i don't think he'll be up there fighting Froome and Contador. He has to be absolutely flying to be up there. So far all sign point to different direction. He most likely will battle valverde for 3rd spot or god knows, maybe kwiat will throw him off the podium. :D
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
If Nibali really missed crucial training in the winter, then why didn't he postpone his start of the season? His 'racing to train'-approach hasn't paid off so far this year, and that's why he's missed the competitive edge in each race, often being beaten by lesser riders.(on paper)

Now Nibali will have to work even harder than he did before the Ardennes, while Contador and Froome enjoy their small break, because their better form allows it. In July this rest period is crucial.
 
People keep speculating he missed some training blocks in winter. I wonder if on the other hand something happened with the new trainer Paolo Slongo. I know they already successfully worked together in the past, but really, it seems like everyone in Astana is out of form (except a little Fuglsang and Guardini, still quite meh)
 
Pippo_San said:
People keep speculating he missed some training blocks in winter. I wonder if on the other hand something happened with the new trainer Paolo Slongo. I know they already successfully worked together in the past, but really, it seems like everyone in Astana is out of form (except a little Fuglsang and Guardini, still quite meh)
If we can judge by their team for the first gt of the year Nibai will peak like an angel. Landa, Aru and Scarponi looks to be getting into brilliant form in trentino, without really doing much/anything earlier in the season (Landa was climbing well in basque)
 
Vino attacks everyone said:
If we can judge by their team for the first gt of the year Nibai will peak like an angel. Landa, Aru and Scarponi looks to be getting into brilliant form in trentino, without really doing much/anything earlier in the season (Landa was climbing well in basque)
Yup should be interesting to see how they're going to perform in the Giro, so maybe we can draw some comparisons. Still I'm really unconvinced about this Nibbles, and I guess he isn't happy with himself.
 
Nibali definitely not happy with his current form:

"For me it has certainly not been a happy start with several problems that have hindered me," Nibali told Gazzetta dello Sport. "It’s not important for me to spend too much time thinking about what others are doing, but sorry I can’t do it. It is clear that this can not continue. When one thing does not go as you want it to, nothing goes right. I, we, must understand the reasons.”
But he won't give up :)

"Now, however, we must draw a line and start over. The Tour does not start tomorrow and I'm not discouraged. I have had more difficult times, but I will never give up."
There is time but it is running short and he is chasing form :(
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
If Nibali is frustrated about the lack of form, I wonder how richie porte will feel :D
Nibali is clearly playing catch up now. Luckily Quintana isn't lining up for TDF, otherwise, he will have to fight for 4/5 (hint: with the rate that Nibali now). Sure he'll be ready for TDF, but I can't see how he will be up there with Froome and contador.

Porte? whoah... i don't know what's going on with him. Suddenly he is another version of Andy with string of DNF. He started to look like 2013 cadel now. Something must be going on with his health. Maybe it's not the gastro problem as they claimed at TA. Maybe his new diet or something.
 
Apr 16, 2014
533
0
0
Ideally, we would have them all in top form so it would be a great season. That is likely not going to happen unless Nibs and Porte sort out their issues. Maybe with Nibali he simply is getting used to balancing time with the baby, family, priorities, training, ect.; he knows what he is doing, he's a professional, and so on, but he is in a new phase of his life. It might not be his year. If he is determined, he'll find a way.

Would prefer to have Nibbles in the mix for TdF, but maybe we have to settle for the Alien vs. Contador :D or some new surprises, hopefully. As long as it is not a one man show; particularly a repeat of last TdF. Even if Wiggo was there and happened to beat Froome :D :D that could be quite entertaining/hilarious. But happiness to me is having Contador, Nibali, Quintana, Porte, Horner, Thibaut, and bunches of lively GC cyclists in action.

Come on, let's go Lo Squalo!
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
pigoonse said:
Ideally, we would have them all in top form so it would be a great season. That is likely not going to happen unless Nibs and Porte sort out their issues. Maybe with Nibali he simply is getting used to balancing time with the baby, family, priorities, training, ect.; he knows what he is doing, he's a professional, and so on, but he is in a new phase of his life. It might not be his year. If he is determined, he'll find a way.

Would prefer to have Nibbles in the mix for TdF, but maybe we have to settle for the Alien vs. Contador :D or some new surprises, hopefully. As long as it is not a one man show; particularly a repeat of last TdF. Even if Wiggo was there and happened to beat Froome :D :D that could be quite entertaining/hilarious. But happiness to me is having Contador, Nibali, Quintana, Porte, Horner, Thibaut, and bunches of lively GC cyclists in action.

Come on, let's go Lo Squalo!
Nah, two months are long enough to get into a monster form. I don't know what you guys are worrying, but I will be very worried if he showed too much form right now. Top 10 at race of Romdi sounds about right to me.
 
maxmartin said:
Nah, two months are long enough to get into a monster form. I don't know what you guys are worrying, but I will be very worried if he showed too much form right now. Top 10 at race of Romdi sounds about right to me.
What you probably don't get is that Froome isn't in top shape either.
Nibbles will improve, but other contenders will too.

I'm partially satisfied with his result in Romandie anyway. It's muche better than anything he had shown prior to this race.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
SafeBet said:
What you probably don't get is that Froome isn't in top shape either.
Nibbles will improve, but other contenders will too.

I'm partially satisfied with his result in Romandie anyway. It's muche better than anything he had shown prior to this race.
So, let's wait until the july to give the judgment. What are those fuss about inadequate form? Every rider is different in how to prepare and peak. There is no point to compare current form.

And on paper everyone will agree Nibali is inferior to Froom in almost every aspect maybe except descending.;) But if Nibali can reach or better his last year Giro form in the July, he will dish some hurt to AC and CF, and even winning the whole damn thing. But the odds is not at his favor.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
pigoonse said:
Ideally, we would have them all in top form so it would be a great season. That is likely not going to happen unless Nibs and Porte sort out their issues. Maybe with Nibali he simply is getting used to balancing time with the baby, family, priorities, training, ect.; he knows what he is doing, he's a professional, and so on, but he is in a new phase of his life. It might not be his year. If he is determined, he'll find a way.

Would prefer to have Nibbles in the mix for TdF, but maybe we have to settle for the Alien vs. Contador :D or some new surprises, hopefully. As long as it is not a one man show; particularly a repeat of last TdF. Even if Wiggo was there and happened to beat Froome :D :D that could be quite entertaining/hilarious. But happiness to me is having Contador, Nibali, Quintana, Porte, Horner, Thibaut, and bunches of lively GC cyclists in action.

Come on, let's go Lo Squalo!
didn't we have this at Catalunya?(except nibali) and it ended up a total yawn since nothing happen.:confused:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY