• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 155 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
disappointed. i knew it was always going to be extremely unlikely but a small part of me had hoped neither froome nor contador would win the tour. will be a race for 3rd for nibali

I wouldn't read too much into today's stage, it didn't suit his style as the descents were far too far from the finish. The only thing to take from today is that Nibali will need to take time on his rivals in TdF stages with tricky descents near the end...if there are any?

Pentacycle said:
For now I think he can ride like in 2009 in this Tour, but to win he'll need to be at either 2007 or 2013 level in climbing. Taking time in GB and northern France is still a possibility though. And still anything can happen.

:confused:

Maybe wrong thread?

As for Nibs, I'm fairly satisfied with his result today, but it's hard to envision an improvement giving him the chance to compete with Froome and Contador. A podium in the TdF is the most likely scenario, unless he goes all in and tries to win the whole thing with some crazy attack.

hfer07 said:
As i wrote on the Stage thread- Froome, Contador, Kelderman, Talansky & VdB were pushing really hard, while Nibbs just "cruised" - they dropped him & he kept cruising to get back up to them again and again- last 500 mts it was the last acceleration while he just crossed the line cruising.......

he looks good :)

This exactly....to me it looked like he was just riding his own tempo. Besides I don't think he has ever been one of the "explosive" climbers.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
disappointed. i knew it was always going to be extremely unlikely but a small part of me had hoped neither froome nor contador would win the tour. will be a race for 3rd for nibali

Well compare to his early season, he wasn't that bad though. If his coach said was actually the truth, then he will get some gap for good reason. But if he bleeds a lot more.. like minutes during the last two mountain stages, not even an altitude camp for 3 weeks can help him winning TDF. He'd better pray Valverde is less strong than him, otherwise podium is out his reach. So I'm still giving him a benefit of the doubts. (especially because the distraction from his team, which he doesn't need it at this time)

Jspear said:
This exactly....to me it looked like he was just riding his own tempo. Besides I don't think he has ever been one of the "explosive" climbers.
Nibali has always been attacking just not in complete form in this Dauphine. Besides he has never matched Contador in the big GTs. He has to play a tactical game in the TDF and not follow explosive accelerations by the big 2 and allow them to neutralize themselves. Also considering that Froome's acceleration made Astana's numerical superiority useless:eek:.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Guys listen. Nibali will have the same pregression as Aru had from Trentino. Going from not being able to follow Evans to being the second best climber in the giro = not being able to follow AC and Froome to being the awesomest super best climber in the universe.

Tbh I think Aru is a bigger talent than Nibali, and certainly a better climber. But that is not the point of discussion of course. You can never rule out a Tour victory, but it will be hard. AC and CF were playing with him today, and both of them have to fail at le Tour if Nibali wants to have a chance. And then there's a bunch of other riders left who are also trying to get on the podium. But with you, I am hoping he can put up a decent fight against the current big 2. :) Especially in the first week, where his classics pedigree will help him.

Pentacycle said:
Tbh I think Aru is a bigger talent than Nibali, and certainly a better climber. But that is not the point of discussion of course. You can never rule out a Tour victory, but it will be hard. AC and CF were playing with him today, and both of them have to fail at le Tour if Nibali wants to have a chance. And then there's a bunch of other riders left who are also trying to get on the podium. But with you, I am hoping he can put up a decent fight against the current big 2. :) Especially in the first week, where his classics pedigree will help him.

Aru would ofc make Froome and AC look like amateurs, but he is not here. :eek:

He is still doing training, going at his own pace. Which seems better than what he looked like all year. Whether he'll be able to match the two in TdF remains to be seen. When it was decided he'll do the Tour it was obvious that Froome is better. The only things that changed are that Contador miraculously became the rider before the suspension and Vincenzo is worse than last year. So now it looks like he's in it with the third chance. Those two guys are stronger than him in normal circumstances and he can't do anything about that. But normal circumstances might change in Le Tour. That's his chance.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:

he has turned himself to 'a wiggins style' :D Tomorrow is a downhill after the final climb. Maybe he'll go bezerk there or maybe on the Gap stage.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
think we can safely discard whatever delusions we harbored that nibs can truly challenge for the victory

lol are we watching the same race? he looks really good on the bike, hardly any upbody movement, showing he is doing controlled temp riding not 100% at all. And when he crossed the line, I would use ease to describe the facial expression. So he is on the track to fight for the Tour.