• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 154 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Haha like I said Nibali worked extremely hard in the winter for his TT ablibilty. But still he only wants to limit his loss to the minimum on long ITT against F. In order to beat F, N needs to gain time on the slope, let it be upward or downward. One weakness of the F is the SKY team this years maybe is not as strong as the SKY team in the previous two years while Nibali on paper should have stronger team members. But we will see, maybe Richie will have a resurrection just in time for the Tour.:eek:

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I always hate Nibali after that bland Vuelta 2010 win,the one that was in Anton pocket before the crash.Giro 2013 changed my opinion about the guy and i hope he will challenge Froome at TDF and if he's going to win no hard feelings.So if the alien don't deliver,Nibbs for the win.

jens_attacks said:
is it true that nibali said on rai that he missed a corner and he lost good time there?

makes sense if it's true. he lost too much on the last part

Didn't find any about it but he said the headwind was very strong. He's very happy with the performance, he's under no stress and as usual, he's tranquillo.
The usual day by day approach so let's see what's gonna be tomorrow!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Lo Squalo looking like a champion, perhaps in his best form this year.

Not best yet,:D i hope Nibali will not yield to those non-result nonsense, stick to his original Tour building up plan.

The key aspects of the training were strength work in the gym, time trial bike, pedaling cadence and racing weight, Slongo told Gazzetta dello Sport journalist Ciro Scognamiglio, warning that Nibali might not competitive with Froome and Contador at the D, due to the decisive Tour mountain stages are still several weeks away.

"It won't be a problem if there's a gap between (Vincenzo) and his rivals in the finale of stages. I love to work gradually and his 'high-end' work has not yet been polished as it should be," Slongo said.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The key aspects of the training were strength work in the gym, time trial bike, pedaling cadence and racing weight, Slongo told Gazzetta dello Sport journalist Ciro Scognamiglio, warning that Nibali might not competitive with Froome and Contador at the Crit

Good to see Nibali doing well again. Allthough this is just a very short TT, so not much can be sid about it really.

I really really hope he shows up with great form at the TdF. Normally Froome and Contador are a step anove him, but Nibali does have big cojones and together with great form he will always try to winor attack whenpossible.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
disappointed. i knew it was always going to be extremely unlikely but a small part of me had hoped neither froome nor contador would win the tour. will be a race for 3rd for nibali

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
disappointed. i knew it was always going to be extremely unlikely but a small part of me had hoped neither froome nor contador would win the tour. will be a race for 3rd for nibali

I am very happy. Nibali sticks to his plan, he was never super competitive in the Dauphine. And obviously he is not in his best shape yet, and that is the plan.

The key aspects of the training were strength work in the gym, time trial bike, pedaling cadence and racing weight, Slongo told Gazzetta dello Sport journalist Ciro Scognamiglio, warning that Nibali might not competitive with Froome and Contador at the D, due to the decisive Tour mountain stages are still several weeks away.

"It won't be a problem if there's a gap between (Vincenzo) and his rivals in the finale of stages. I love to work gradually and his 'high-end' work has not yet been polished as it should be," Slongo said

As i wrote on the Stage thread- Froome, Contador, Kelderman, Talansky & VdB were pushing really hard, while Nibbs just "cruised" - they dropped him & he kept cruising to get back up to them again and again- last 500 mts it was the last acceleration while he just crossed the line cruising.......

he looks good :)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
For now I think he can ride like in 2009 in this Tour, but to win he'll need to be at either 2007 or 2013 level in climbing. Taking time in GB and northern France is still a possibility though. And still anything can happen.

TRENDING THREADS