• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 206 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Tony is still a great benchmark, in 2013 first ITT Froom was only around 10 seconds behind Tony. It is very interesting to see where Nibali stacks with the Tony in the final ITT. For sure this route is more technical then 2013 first ITT.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Tony is still a great benchmark, in 2013 first ITT Froom was only around 10 seconds behind Tony. It is very interesting to see where Nibali stacks with the Tony in the final ITT. For sure this route is more technical then 2013 first ITT.
I say more than 30 seconds even with technical route.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I dont believe Nibali can be better than +30secs on Martin,thats science fiction;)

I actually don't understand what u are saying. Are u saying Nibali is ahead of Tony by 30 seconds or Nibali is within 30 seconds to Tony? My prediction is Nibali will get very close to Tony or even beat him but not by 30 seconds though.

You two are way off. Nibali is going to lose the ITT to Martin. Predicting 1:30 to 2:00 minutes.
2 reasons:
1. Martin is in exceptional shape, and his climbing is much better this year.
2. Nibali doesn't have to try and win this stage if his leading by 10 minutes.

Van Garderen is probably the one who needs to win it to podium.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Due to Nibali's huge success in this Tour, SKY (aka golden standard of procycling) decides to hire the son of Mr. Martinelli (aka Nibali's tour winning director).

For obvious reasons (zero something), SKY could not hire Mr. Martinelli directly. I guess it totally makes sense, since the proteams always try to better the trainings in any possible way, just like AC hired former SKY trainer to better himself. Glad to see the proteams are exchanging training information freely, it will only makes races more exciting.:D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I actually don't understand what u are saying. Are u saying Nibali is ahead of Tony by 30 seconds or Nibali is within 30 seconds to Tony? My prediction is Nibali will get very close to Tony or even beat him but not by 30 seconds though.
I say he will lose more than 30s on Martin.
cineteq said:
You two are way off. Nibali is going to lose the ITT to Martin. Predicting 1:30 to 2:00 minutes.
2 reasons:

Like usually your post is burbling with nonsense...
1.Because of better climbing,Tony will win TT,ohhh (or whats your point)
2.He doesnt have to win any other stage from now,soo...
great logic:eek:

maxmartin said:
Due to Nibali's huge success in this Tour, SKY (aka golden standard of procycling) decides to hire the son of Mr. Martinelli (aka Nibali's tour winning director).

For obvious reasons (zero something), SKY could not hire Mr. Martinelli directly. I guess it totally makes sense, since the proteams always try to better the trainings in any possible way, just like AC hired former SKY trainer to better himself. Glad to see the proteams are exchanging training information freely, it will only makes races more exciting.:D

Sigh.... I hope your post isn't serious, but I'm sure it is. Martinelli was a trainee with Sky already a few years ago. And this year, it was already reported before the Tour. FGS. :rolleyes: and that notion of teams freely exchanging training information is too ridiculous to even spend time writing about.

I just hope Contador sticks to his new Sky training regime and not to the stupid Nibali/Schleck -be **** all year and then super peak for the tour - training.

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Is it me or did Nibali at least in stages 13&14 kept his head turned little to the left for some reason? On stage 13 I was convinced that he was wasted, but soon after he attacked!

LaFlorecita said:
Sigh.... I hope your post isn't serious, but I'm sure it is. Martinelli was a trainee with Sky already a few years ago. And this year, it was already reported before the Tour. FGS. :rolleyes: and that notion of teams freely exchanging training information is too ridiculous to even spend time writing about.

I just hope Contador sticks to his new Sky training regime and not to the stupid Nibali/Schleck -be **** all year and then super peak for the tour - training.

Mee too, I hope for the sake of competition that Contador sticks with De Jongh style and not the stupid be **** all year like in 2013, no peak whatsoever for tour - training.

ILovecycling said:
I say he will lose more than 30s on Martin.

Like usually your post is burbling with nonsense...
1.Because of better climbing,Tony will win TT,ohhh (or whats your point)
2.He doesnt have to win any other stage from now,soo...
great logic:eek:
Is the ITT pan flat? No. Has Nibali win an ITT against Martin, Wiggings? No. Has Van Garderen been a better TTer than Nibali? Yes

I'm not sure what you call logic bro. Anyway, now you've been quote for posterity.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
Is the ITT pan flat? No. Has Nibali win an ITT against Martin, Wiggings? No. Has Van Garderen been a better TTer than Nibali? Yes

I'm not sure what you call logic bro. Anyway, now you've been quote for posterity.
Yeah,thats an obvious hilly itt that 1,4k hill will make massive gaps,actually I cant wait to see Tony to start his climbing legs:rolleyes:

cineteq said:
2 reasons:

I don't think TJVG has to win it to podium. Valverde will be the loser in the TT. Peraud and TJVG will make up big time on him. Martin will win the TT easily. I expect Nibali to finish in the top 4 in the TT, could even finish second. I think if TJVG can do well in the Pyrenees he is looking at second spot, third at worst on GC. Pinot and Bardet have to take time in the Pyrenees as they will also drop time to Peraud and TJVG in the TT.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
He finished 6min 19sec behind Wiggins in 2012 but 5min 56sec of that was lost in races against the clock.

"These last few years I've learnt a lot in every big race that every second counts, you can never take anything for granted," said the Astana rider ahead of Monday's second and final rest day.

"These first two weeks have gone quite well, the team have worked really hard, I felt really good and haven't had a bad day.

"In the last three years I've worked on the time trial, particularly my position, working on the track, and we've found solutions.

"Even last year in the Giro it was important and I tried not to lose too much time because it's fundamental.

"Two years ago I lost a huge amount of time (at the Tour) in the time trial so I tried to improve that."

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/55718/nibali-insists-he-s-learnt-from-past-mistakes

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
We shall see how the next few days in the Pyrenees goes and who is in what shape when the TT comes. My guess would be Tony Martin wins the TT. He is sporting a ton of confidence this tour, but so is the Nibs :p Nibs does not need to win the stage; he just needs to be safe and ride his bike like he has been the past couple weeks.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
cineteq said:
Nice to see, in short, the answer was NO.

"If he wins, he will have won against everyone, luck and bad luck both calculated in"

Well, the answer always has been NO, imo; just was nice to read the Vincenzo Nibali support from those guys. :)

pigoonse said:
If he is to win would it be a devalued TdF win for Nibali? Some experts give their opinion.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...ued-tour-de-france-win-vincenzo-nibali-130714

I thought the difference between the response of Nibali and his DS, and the others, was quite remarkable. The others say, yes he's been lucky, but you can only beat those who are there, and Nibali and his DS respond much more aggressively, he was the best, he would have beaten them anyway, others shouldn't fall off their bikes. They clearly feel like they have to defend themselves.

And I'd say no, not a devalued win, but a less impressive one and certainly not as amazing as it would have been if he'd won vs Froome and/or Contador, and no not a stolen win, but he was terribly lucky that the win fell right in front of his feet, and all he had to do was reach out and grab it.