• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 208 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Afrank said:
Pinot was probably making Nibali hurt some at the top. No shame in that, Pinot was probably going all out as well and he's a very strong climber.

But Nibali also probably knew he was almost at the top and didn't have to worry about Pinot. I wouldn't read much into this.
Fanboys are always looking for ways to make news about nothing. Pinot descended very well, I wonder how many times reconed this stage.

SeriousSam said:
One wonders how many minutes Nibali would have lost today to first class climbers like Froome and Contador.
Sarcastic or serious? Funny either way :D

Nibs is getting tired, holding the jersey for 13 days is starting to tell on him. Stupid NBC cut away for a commercial so I didn't see the top of the climb, only that he was behind a car on the downhill. What the heck was that car doing there? Anyway now I've seen the vid and he was dropped, yes just a little cracks showing in the armor. He did the head drop which is his 'tell' so good it was downhill from then on. Hopefully this was his worst day and he has plenty of cushion for tiny 2 second cracks. Valverde looks even more tired than Nibs! The only concern is Astana, their weakness is exposed. However I don't think there is anyone to really take advantage of it!

Get a good nights rest Vincenzo, big day tomorrow!

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
cineteq said:
There you go [in Spanish] http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=73625

Nibali: "At the top, when Pinot accelerated, I was looking for a sugar bottle. I do not underestimate Pinot, or any other rider"

Yeah but this does not explain he was breathing heavely from the beginning of the climb...and tomorrow's stage is a lot more difficult then this one...i mean, there are 3 climbs ( 1st category ) + the 4th , H category...

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
alin.constantin89 said:
Yeah but this does not explain he was breathing heavely from the beginning of the climb...and tomorrow's stage is a lot more difficult then this one...

He really never looked in difficulty though. Obviously over the crest he was grabbing some liquid refreshment and Pinot wasn't a danger on the descent. I assume tomorrow will tell the tale, re. health.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
alin.constantin89 said:
Yeah but this does not explain he was breathing heavely from the beginning of the climb...and tomorrow's stage is a lot more difficult then this one...i mean, there are 3 climbs ( 1st category ) and the final, H category...

He is going to win tomorrow stage!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Good. He's human. It's even better he shows these signs when it doesn't matter.

Many dopers have shown signs of weakness, using that as an argument is ridiculous. So Froome dropping last year at the end of 3rd week means he doesn't dope :eek:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well, since Pinot went 37 seconds faster than Contador in 2010. He might have won time to Contador and Froome actually :eek:

They went way faster on the climb, movistar was killing it the whole time. In 2010 there were a lot of stop and attack moments. Besides Contador wasn't good at all in that climb, freaking menchov and sanchez were able to hold on.

Anyway pathetic that nibali always finds excuses when he gets dropped. He'll still win the tour easily, just admit it bro.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Maybe he was tired, thirsty and hungry - I saw him on the descent reaching around to the back of his jersey and he pulled something out to drink or eat on the descent. I don't think he was ever in any trouble...trapped behind a car for a moment and just not pushing it today. He is by himself - no helpers in sight; hopefully he can get more team support over the next few days, otherwise he has to do this single-handedly ;) Many of us long to see him demon descending and bunny hopping his was past the others but he wisely took the day off from pushing it. Lo Squalo is a very cool and efficient leader :cool:

Miburo said:
*clinic comment deleted by mod*

And BTW why on earth would you think I was wishing Nibs would have a mechanical? I'm concerned that he will be isolated and have one to his detriment. Just because you think like that doesn't mean other people do!

IMO Nibs is Rocking this Race and is a bike rider of tremendous quality. I wish him his well deserved and hard earned victory!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Or, he is actually telling the truth. Not that you would care, now would you :rolleyes:

This is the second time it happened in 2 weeks, all up to you to believe him or not. I don't believe him, he looked bad against pinot but hey ignore it and believe him.

And to carlos, only way nibali can lose is cause of mechanical or a hungerblow/crash. That's a fact, if you deny a fact there's no point in having a discussion. No rider has the balls to do a longe range attack to force nibali and his team to be a in bad position and it's pretty much impossible to try and do this. Astana is a good team and nibali is really strong.

Miburo said:
And to carlos, only way nibali can lose is cause of mechanical or a hungerblow/crash. That's a fact, if you deny a fact there's no point in having a discussion. No rider has the balls to do a longe range attack to force nibali and his team to be a in bad position and it's pretty much impossible to try and do this. Astana is a good team and nibali is really strong.

Is this your response for saying you thought I wished Nibali ill fortune? Scratches head in wonder......In case it hasn't sunk in I Want Nibali to win!

whittashau said:
How can one differentiate couldn't and couldn't be bothered in that scenario?

Nice handle btw.

Admitted, I don't know for sure, but to me he certainly looked like he bonked. His put his head down, as others have mentioned, and his pace dropped suddenly for no reason. Of course he'd have stayed on Pinot's wheel if he was able to.
But it's propably just a minor crack, nothing unusual, and most certainly not something that makes me believe he won't win.

And thanks. It's a great handle. :D

and beyond what he already know about Nibbs- he appears to be very generous too:)

With three stage wins already to his name at this Tour de France, Vincenzo Nibali may be in the mood to start handing out gifts as the race enters the Pyrenees. According to TuttoBici, Nibali got into the spirit of things during the rest day, by handing his credit card to trainer Paolo Slongo and asking him to take Astana’s soigneurs and mechanics out to dinner as a thank you for their efforts to date.