• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 221 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dr. Juice said:
He let himself go too much after the Giro. And IMO he had not enough races to build up his form. He had to rush into form after he was shockingly slow in Tour of Poland. Not ideal.
But he underestimated Horner when he let him go in the first mountain stage. That day he probably would have arrived with Horner and not lost 46 seconds. He thought Horner would not go far, playing games with Rodriguez, Valverde and Basso.
Had Nibali been in front with 3 sec instead of 3 sec behind before Angliru he might have won - he was on par with Horner that day or at least not clearly inferior (imo) and had to attack him. Burned himself with those 5-6 attacks. The seconds he lost on that easy climb ( 5,5 % average, not more than 7-8 km long, don't remember the name) a couple of days before were crucial.

I always thought he should hang on to Horner on the Angliru and attack with 800 m to go because Horner is a diesel, not explosive. Take 4-5 seconds and win.

He had a great form coming out of the Vuelta, unlucky in the WC and Lombardia, could have won both --> my first argument : too short on preparation, his form came 1-2 weeks too late
After Nibali attacked the chasing group he didn't take any time on Horner, so no he wouldn't have ended with the same time as Horner in any scenario.

Netserk said:
After Nibali attacked the chasing group he didn't take any time on Horner, so no he wouldn't have ended with the same time as Horner in any scenario.

When Horner accelerated 4.5 km to go, none of Nibali, Purito, Valverde, Basso and I think Pinot tried to cover his attack. Nobody gave a rat's *** about Papi at that time in the race. They went together for another 2.5 K when Nibali attacked the group but it was too late, given his form compared to Horner's, to gain some time back. Surprisingly enough for everybody in the cycling world, Horner kept his form throughout the whole three weeks.

Rollthedice said:
When Horner accelerated 4.5 km to go, none of Nibali, Purito, Valverde, Basso and I think Pinot tried to cover his attack. Nobody gave a rat's *** about Papi at that time in the race. They went together for another 2.5 K when Nibali attacked the group but it was too late, given his form compared to Horner's, to gain some time back. Surprisingly enough for everybody in the cycling world, Horner kept his form throughout the whole three weeks.
And if Nibali had been as strong as Horner, he would've taken some time back when he left the other group. He didn't.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
JNC7iCDm.jpeg

THE CURRENT KING OF ROAD CYCLING

Vino attacks everyone said:
Slongo is quite clear on that Nibbles wont be in his tour shapw in the WC. I don't think Italy will be albe to make the race hard enough anyways so for me it seems more likely that it will be a Matthews vs Bouhanni vs perhaps Kristoff than anything else.... :(
Hopefully that means that Nibali will attack before the last lap :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Hopefully if he fails he won't complain about the lack of riders with balls in the peloton again.

Well...he was right. ;) Nibali may complain every now and then, but at least he's correct in that complaining most times. :p

I personally don't find "complaining" to be solely a bad thing. Ofc, if you are going to do it every god damn time you ride up a hard mountain, bad roads or in bad weather (Hi Cancellara :p) it might be somewhat annoying, but just pointing out that most riders have to attack to win, and therefore them not attacking is stupid doesn't seem so stupid/annoying/wrong to me.

Only my take on it though

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
‏@vincenzonibali
Compagnia d'eccellenza oggi!! @ivanbasso @ivansantino @DiegoUlissi pic.twitter.com/ja4cZKywhw

Nibbles out training with Ulissi :p
And Basso!
A bunch of really cool guys, well and Santaromita:p
Seeing Nibali and Basso together always makes me remember the good old days...