• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 223 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Well is PR strategy... you have to distract your rivals and put the pressure on them always, would be stupid to say "Yes I have super form and I will attack in the stage 7-8-11-12-13 etc." and he is good doing that... He is always putting pressure on their rivals and downplaying his chances.

I agree, it's an off the bike tactic. Nothing wrong with it.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
I believe what they mean by sandbagging is Contador being disingenuous about his form and intentions for the Vuelta.

Now...where the idea that he was doing this to Nibali comes from...I do not know.

Well is PR strategy... you have to distract your rivals and put the pressure on them always, would be stupid to say "Yes I have super form and I will attack in the stage 7-8-11-12-13 etc." and he is good doing that... He is always putting pressure on their rivals and downplaying his chances.

But sorry... enough with AC, this is a Nibs thread...

Would be great to see Nibs winning MSR next year I think that He can do it...

Afrank said:
I believe what they mean by sandbagging is Contador being disingenuous about his form and intentions for the Vuelta.

Now...where the idea that he was doing this to Nibali comes from...I do not know.

I think it wasn't disingenuousness, but real uncertainty about how his leg would hold up under race conditions. if his post-race comments are to be believed, he didn't feel good until stage 9 and 10.

Publicus said:
I think it wasn't disingenuousness, but real uncertainty about how his leg would hold up under race conditions. if his post-race comments are to be believed, he didn't feel good until stage 9 and 10.

I agree and am unable to comprehend how people can truly believe he was certain his leg would hold up under race pressure beforehand.

Many are so cynical. What an awful way to live :(

Anyway this is the Nibali thread. He showed some form in that last race. More to come from Lo Squalo. Is 2015 the year he takes a classic?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Anyway this is the Nibali thread. He showed some form in that last race. More to come from Lo Squalo. Is 2015 the year he takes a classic?

Im would like to him to target MSR next year but is always hard especially with Gerrans that is racing like a motorbike

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
With the new climbs set to be included, the course will never be better for him (probably will have the same chance in the following years but who knows how long they'll keep the pompeiana in it).

Jspear said:
Nibali crashed at the Tre Valli Varesine. They are saying that it wasn't "a serious injury," but he did quit the race. Hopefully he is okay for the worlds....

http://cyclingquotes.com/news/nibali_and_gasparotto_crash_in_italian_classic/

Saw the crash, rain, slippery roads but didn't look too bad. No point in finishing the race after, it was maybe less than 10K to go. Otherwise a good training I think, he was controlling the second group to help Gasparotto in the front group. Sadly Gasparotto went down first then Nibs so even if, bravely Gaspa was back chasing the front group, Astana lost any chance to contest the race.

Jspear said:
Nibali crashed at the Tre Valli Varesine. They are saying that it wasn't "a serious injury," but he did quit the race. Hopefully he is okay for the worlds....

http://cyclingquotes.com/news/nibali_and_gasparotto_crash_in_italian_classic/
He is!
Bx4--HzIcAEa8dA.jpg

LaFlorecita said:
Beijing? Tropicale Amissa Bongo...?!

It would be funny but I'd like to remind you and all the other Contador fanboys and fangirls who keep trolling this thread that Nibali started last year's Giro against the reigning TdF winner and this year's TdF against the reigning TdF winner and another multiple GT winner. On both ocassions he won. Unless Horner is riding I don't see a reason why he would be afraid.

Rollthedice said:
It would be funny but I'd like to remind you and all the other Contador fanboys and fangirls who keep trolling this thread that Nibali started last year's Giro against the reigning TdF winner and this year's TdF against the reigning TdF winner and another multiple GT winner. On both ocassions he won. Unless Horner is riding I don't see a reason why he would be afraid.

As long as you believe that yourself I'm fine with it :D:D

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
1 - Nibali started last year's Giro against the reigning TdF winner and this year's TdF against the reigning TdF winner and another multiple GT winner.

2 -On both ocassions he won.

1- I do agree, Nibali isn't afraid to race against top riders, that's not the problem. The problem is his luck.

2- That was unnecessary to add as it is completely insignificant, and you know it.

BlurryVII said:
1- I do agree, Nibali isn't afraid to race against top riders, that's not the problem. The problem is his luck.

2- That was unnecessary to add as it is completely insignificant, and you know it.

The posts in this thread mocking his will to fight against the best were unnecessary. I was just replying with a bit of sarcasm, that's all.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
With Contador doing the Giro and Froome the Tour, Nibali will no doubt announce that he'll target the Vuelta next year. :p

If you mean Nibali will announce he'll target a Vuelta win to go along with his inevitable Giro-Tour wins in 2015, then yes, you are correct. ;)

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Is not going to be easy next year for Nibs...

Giro: Contador, Uran, Purito
Tour: Contador, Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Kiwatowski, etc, etc, etc
Vuelta: Quintana, Contador (if going for triple), Froome (if anything fails in Le Tour), Uran, Aru (will want to ride too), Purito and Valverde, etc, etc

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
With Contador doing the Giro and Froome the Tour, Nibali will no doubt announce that he'll target the Vuelta next year. :p

LOL... I think so too. :D:D and God knows if Quintana announces he'll target Vuelta, don't be surprise if Nibali announces that he'll target the World instead.

The hindsight is, at least once in for all, we finally get the answer of who drop who.. instead of using a comparison of Nibali at TDF with what if Contador was there etc, etc, etc .. to the nauseum... :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Is not going to be easy next year for Nibs...

Giro: Contador, Uran, Purito
Tour: Contador, Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Kiwatowski, etc, etc, etc
Vuelta: Quintana, Contador (if going for triple), Froome (if anything fails in Le Tour), Uran, Aru (will want to ride too), Purito and Valverde, etc, etc
ohh crap, there is no escape, he will have to surrender :D