• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 224 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Contador has challenge Nibali to a duel at Giro d'Italia. I like this kind of feuds

Duel1.jpg

Has Nibali even stated that he will ride the 2015 Giro?

I was under the impression that he wanted to ride the Giro in order to avoid Froome, Nario and Contador. Truth is, all his GT wins so far has been against lesser rider and I must say that his strategy is the best one in my opinion.

I mean, in my humble opinion, there is no way Nibali can ride the Giro aiming to win it and then come back to the Tour with the same objective. The competition is too stiff.

Walkman said:
I was under the impression that he wanted to ride the Giro in order to avoid Froome, Nario and Contador. Truth is, all his GT wins so far has been against lesser rider and I must say that his strategy is the best one in my opinion.

Yes he always try to avoid them, and obviously his only goal this year was TDF because he already knew Contador and Froome would have crash and then abandon :eek:

Walkman said:

I mean, in my humble opinion, there is no way Nibali can ride the Giro aiming to win it and then come back to the Tour with the same objective. The competition is too stiff.

He would wait to see if the routes were managebale to ride in 1 year (not to hard)
Yea the tour this year started out with 0 competition :rolleyes:
And he rode the giro last year solely because he was afraid of the other gt rider, not because he wanted to wn his home gt for the first time or anything :eek:

I agree with you on this. I think AC has a chance at doing it (slim one), but no way Nibali can win both. Would like to see him use giro as a prep though, and ride for Aru :)

Walkman said:
I was under the impression that he [Nibali] wanted to ride the Giro in order to avoid Froome, Nario and Contador. Truth is, all his GT wins so far has been against lesser rider and I must say that his strategy is the best one in my opinion.
LOL! Actually Contador and Froome found a way not to finish the Tour, that was a great strategy. ;)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Walkman said:

It's very likely, I posted a link to an article in the Contador thread recently where he confirmed he would do Giro-Tour.

Riding the Giro of course has nothing to do with trying to avoid the other 3 of the big 4. And everything to do with he's just intrigued by the idea of winning the elusive Giro-Tour double. Plus, I think he probably really enjoys the Giro being his home race and everything, Tour was a new challenge for 2014. But he's not about to become a Tour obsessed rider.

Eshnar said:
Pellizotti you mean?

Anyway, Nibali rode the Tour 3 times in 7 years since 2008... don't see how he's always been more about the Tour.

Unless Delfino was back on the team again in 2011, I mean Basso. Note the "and only rode the Giro the next year"

2008 Giro-Tour
2009 Tour only
2010 Meant to only ride the Tour, did Giro-Vuelta
2011 Wanted to do Tour, did Giro-Vuelta because of Basso
2012 Tour Only
2013 Giro-Vuelta
2014 Tour only

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Nibali should do the TDF why be Contador's lap dog in the mountians?. Contador is just too good for Nibali. So why not do the TDF and hope for Froome to leave and Quintana? He may retain the TDF that way lol.

TANK91 said:
Nibali should do the TDF why be Contador's lap dog in the mountians?. Contador is just too good for Nibali. So why not do the TDF and hope for Froome to leave and Quintana? He may retain the TDF that way lol.

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, "If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you better stop immediately." Tears welled up in his eyes when he realised exactly what was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My Mother said to me- "Don't smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed and at 21 I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because this post gave me cancer anyway

Never read such stupid comments about a triple GT winner. He (the Shark) was the first to say he wants a Giro-Tour. He (the Shark) entered le Tour with defending champion CF and best decade GT rider AC. He (the Shark) was the closest one to a double (last year) and still able to aim at worlds. Everything else is just keyboards warriors fantasies. I will go to watch him in Prato tomorrow. Good luck to Alberto and Chris. They will need it.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, "If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you better stop immediately." Tears welled up in his eyes when he realised exactly what was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My Mother said to me- "Don't smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed and at 21 I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because this post gave me cancer anyway
I have never touched it either and I dont think its any tough or anything, dont make it such a big deal (altough I understand what happened to your grandpa)
anyway kudos to you :)