• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 242 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jspear said:
Actually what AC is doing is giving himself something that is more of a challenge. The double - that is his goal.
Off course he's talking about the double as a new goal. He can't say he gave up of he Tour and past his prime. It would be marketing disaster for him and Tinkoff.

Jspear said:
As for Nibbes (this is his thread): something else that could be interesting later down the road.

From his CN interview: " He can always ask me for advice when he wants. He might not ask but the truth is that we've never really raced together this year but I've never really had any serious problems with him. And I don't think he's had any problems with me. Of course, racing is racing, we're in the same team but we've tried to get on. I think that'll continue while we're in the same team."

It will be interesting to see how their relationship is in 2015.
Where there's smoke, there's fire.
I doubt their relation would have been a topic if there's nothing to talk about.

sir fly said:
Off course he's talking about the double as a new goal. He can't say he gave up of he Tour and past his prime. It would be marketing disaster for him and Tinkoff.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
I doubt their relation would have been a topic if there's nothing to talk about.

I hope you'll be prepared to admit you were wrong if Alberto smokes everyone in July :)

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
So it's your belief that he must be on a serious decline performance wise for you to say that his making the top 10 is a maybe?

I would not go as far as "decline", but AC's performance is definitely "irregular" after his ban. He has not been able to touch the podium of the Tour in the past four years even though he did reasonably well in the Vuelta. I just wish fanatic people like you could have a pair of objective eyes to analyze things, not wasting your time to pick up other people's writing style. LOL (there you hvae it!)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I would not go as far as "decline", but AC's performance is definitely "irregular" after his ban. He has not been able to touch the podium of the Tour in the past four years even though he did reasonably well in the Vuelta. I just wish fanatic people like you could have a pair of objective eyes to analyze things, not wasting your time to pick up other people's writing style. LOL (there you hvae it!)

:eek::(:confused:

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
sir fly said:

Then why did he go 100% for the Tour this year after a disastrous 2013 season?

You don't even make sense, it's funny :eek:

No, here's your logic: after a splendid 2014' season winning the GT featuring the toughest field on one leg, he gave up on the Tour, and actually got past his prime.
That is brilliant.

Now, onto the Ronde joke because you have nothing to say? :eek:

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:

I think the one who was irregular this year was Nibali, ghost all year then out of nowhere to win the Tour (against the s h i t tiest field in the last ... oh wait, ****tiest field ever? )

maxmartin said:
Yep, any person with reasonable intelligence can see through it.

Getting back to Nibali, it is no doubt in his favour that Contador is being ambitious in his attempt at the double come TDF. The first week again seems to be in Nibs favour but without a big ITT, in the 2 weeks after, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Contador. In fact, I would go as far to say he, Contador, is actually a favourite along with Quintana and Nibali with little to split them.

And I do believe I have somewhere between reasonable and quite good intelligence, I'll let you shoot me down on that of course.

maxmartin said:

Try to be reasonable and look what happens. You are truly a sad case.

Sergi López-Egea is a true cycling fan
icefire said:
B2Zk8EPIAAE-UuN.jpg

LaFlorecita said:
I hope you'll be prepared to admit you were wrong if Alberto smokes everyone in July :)

Yeah, but with his past doping history, how could ANYONE take any results he's had since then even remotely legit or serious? You are aware he was stripped of results too, and cheated?

IMO, AC has no business still competing, nor should he be allowed to.

BlurryVII said:
I think the one who was irregular this year was Nibali, ghost all year then out of nowhere to win the Tour (against the s h i t tiest field in the last ... oh wait, ****tiest field ever? )

1. I think AC this year was really great, and if he shows the same kind of form next year he will be hard to beat no matter what.

On your Nibali comment though

1. He has been celar ALL year that the tour was his only real goal. Add this to getting a kid + some rumored marital problems in the spring are all probable causes for a sub par classics season

2. He had taken minutes on Froome and AC before both dropped out. Not his problem that they couldn't stay on the bike and fight it out in the mountians.

3. perhaps he didn't come out of nowhere in the tour, perhaps he was at his lousy spring level, you know, since the field was so extremely ****ty that a amateur cyclist could have won it :rolleyes:

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Loved reading Nibali's interviews, part 1 and part 2 this week :) This part about Contador riding for the Giro-Tour double was great; and can be quite blunt about his opinions, so I believe he means it :p

VN: To be honest, If I was Contador, I'd do the same thing. It's risky because he could win the Giro but then struggle at the Tour. But after winning several Grand Tours, going for the double is a new challenge. We'll see if he can do it. If anyone can do it, Alberto can.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exclusive-interview-vincenzo-nibali-1

Happiest 30th Birthday wishes to the truly great Giro-Tour-Vuelta Champion, Vincenzo Nibali :)

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So Nibali is certainly not doing the Giro bythe looks of it. Aru by the sounds of it will take Contador on. What a puppy he is, he should know you never win the lottery twice, Nibali will not have that fortune again. Even Quintana could beat Nibali in the TDF if Froome crashes. He is clearly scared of Alberto Contador and know's the only shot he as of finishing ahead of Contador is if Contador has alot of fatigue from the Giro. No way Nibali wins another TDF again, he should have proved he was the best next year by beating the best GC rider of 2014. He could have made a real name for himself by beating Contador as we all know he was trying so hard to prove his dominance in the TDF so we would not question it.

TANK91 said:
So Nibali is certainly not doing the Giro bythe looks of it. Aru by the sounds of it will take Contador on. What a puppy he is, he should know you never win the lottery twice, Nibali will not have that fortune again. Even Quintana could beat Nibali in the TDF if Froome crashes. He is clearly scared of Alberto Contador and know's the only shot he as of finishing ahead of Contador is if Contador has alot of fatigue from the Giro. No way Nibali wins another TDF again, he should have proved he was the best next year by beating the best GC rider of 2014. He could have made a real name for himself by beating Contador as we all know he was trying so hard to prove his dominance in the TDF so we would not question it.

I am happy Aru gets a chance to go mano a mano with his idol.

TANK91 said:

The guy won the Tour. It is natural that he will base his next season around defending that title. He has no control over everybody else's schedule.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
TANK91 said:

i had you on ignore in july, august, and september because your opinions about Nibali are not even worth reading. i took you off ignore because you can write some intelligent and interesting posts when not going on and doing your best to bash VN. Back to ignore you go :D

TANK91 said:

Froome and Quintana are scared of Contador as well I assume?

LaFlorecita said:
well, it is quite odd that Nibali said he was seriously considering riding the Giro and the Tour, then after Contador announced he was going to do the double Nibali started backtracking.

I never expected him to do the Giro. Froome was also talking about the Giro.

Sure maybe Nibali thought I can win an easy Giro so why not. Then Contador decided to ride it and he figured he might as well go all out on the TdF again.
But honestly I never really thought he would ride the Giro this year. Just like I knew Froome wouldn't, even when he wanted too.

They are restricted by their sponsors and Contador isn't, well he is, but Tinkof is a special breed.

TRENDING THREADS