• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 268 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Mr.White said:
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Mr.White said:
If he doesn't win the Tour, and I think he won't, his season will be disaster. He has no chance in Vuelta, after the Tour, Worlds doesn't suit him, he can't win Lombardy on this new course, and other races are not good enough for the rider of his caliber...

He could've won a few Vueltas by now if he wanted to... you really think he wants to?

Yeah, I actually think he would like that, and want that... although not as much as Giro or Tour, and that's why he rode them in 2011 and 2013, but failed to win. In that years he rode Giro before Vuelta, and he wasn't capable of reaching his 100% form in the Vuelta. Imagine then what percent of his top form he would reach with Tour in his legs. That's why I'm saying that he'll hardly win Vuelta. Of course if he would targeting only Vuelta, he would probably be the top favorite.

He was targeting Worlds is why he gifted the Vuelta to PH. Because he doesn't target **** small races.

Well he certainly got that right, with his targeting I mean, considering how he manage to do in that same Worlds, 4th place is a big success for him! He's never been placed higher, I understand his logic now, complete success for him.
And Vuelta a small race, name three bigger. I guess you are one of those "Tour" lovers

TOUR IS EVERYTHING. Ten veulta is no better than one Tour. That is the sad truth of the current cycling world.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

ICEROCK said:
TOUR IS EVERYTHING. Ten veulta is no better than one Tour. That is the sad truth of the current cycling world.

Well for me it isn't. Tour is the biggest race, but far, far from everything. And for that matter I like both, the Giro and Vuelta, much more than Tour.

Kwibus said:
Nibali was a rider that was at the front almost the entire year. Winning t-a and always a challenger in the 1-day races, but it seems he's doing it exactly like last year. Invisible and only good during the TdF.

I really liked that offensive aggressive Nibali that was good and attacking all year long. I really do not like this Nibali, allthough I'm sure he will be aggresive during the TdF again and will enjoy his rides there, but I have no love/respect for riders that only peak for July.

Mayomaniac said:
I feel the same, he was an unique guy, great all year long and attacking, always animating the classics, how many modern GT winners get a podium in Milano – San Remo? It's a shame, people became his fans because of those things.

I agree with both. And with Netserk and whoever else said this. I want the old Nibali back. Even if that means never winning the Tour again. Or even never winning a GT again. I want a rider to cheer for all year long.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
Kwibus said:
Nibali was a rider that was at the front almost the entire year. Winning t-a and always a challenger in the 1-day races, but it seems he's doing it exactly like last year. Invisible and only good during the TdF.

I really liked that offensive aggressive Nibali that was good and attacking all year long. I really do not like this Nibali, allthough I'm sure he will be aggresive during the TdF again and will enjoy his rides there, but I have no love/respect for riders that only peak for July.

Mayomaniac said:
I feel the same, he was an unique guy, great all year long and attacking, always animating the classics, how many modern GT winners get a podium in Milano – San Remo? It's a shame, people became his fans because of those things.

I agree with both. And with Netserk and whoever else said this. I want the old Nibali back. Even if that means never winning the Tour again. Or even never winning a GT again. I want a rider to cheer for all year long.

Obviously, Nibali changed quite a lot in the past few years. Maybe he realized that he can't win big GT if he peaks for races such as MSR or LBL in the spring.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Kwibus said:

Mayomaniac said:

Me too. But he developed into the most consistent GT rider from the last years, he is guaranteed to podium every one he enters. So this is what he is paid for. Maybe if Astana is going down and he'll have to change team things will be different.

Re:

Red Rick said:
It's just dumb, Nibali was great in the Giro 2013, his Tour win was better but there he crushed too, and he was competitive and decisive from march to october.

His Giro win would have been as good as his Tour win if all the mountains stages were completed. He was untouchable in both races. I hope he gets back to that sort of form in July as it will make the Tour much more interesting.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
It seems that everyone is assuming that this new Nibali we've seen this last year is because he's trying to "super peek" for the Tour, but isn't it more likely that since the birth of his child he's just less inclined to train like a mad-man all year round?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
We all know Nibali can't win MSR. But the fact he didn't do a single thing in this race, and being one of the first riders dropped on the Poggio, is just really poor.

The Nibali of the last two years is just some boring regular rider who only rides strong for three weeks in july.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
The Nibali of the last two years is just some boring regular rider who only rides strong for three weeks in july.

AKA Andy :eek:

andy-schleck.jpg

In the shape he is it would have been just plain dumb to expect something today. Climbing with Greipel is about all that he can do after 280K. Some real training should take place from now on including altitude and weight loss. Hope Astana will still be in business until he'll start showing something.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

LaFlorecita said:
uhhhh so apparently Nibali avoids jail time for unpaid tax :confused: :eek:
http://www.cicloweb.it/news/2015/03/22/ ... -ne-restit

No Flo in Italy nobody goes to jail for tax evasion and if you are rich you just cut a deal and pay a percentage of what you actually owe and everyone lives happily ever after.

Cipollini and Bettini were in the same boat (residences in Monaco), as was Valentino Rossi (residence in London).

Re: Nibali discussion thread

rhubroma said:
LaFlorecita said:
uhhhh so apparently Nibali avoids jail time for unpaid tax :confused: :eek:
http://www.cicloweb.it/news/2015/03/22/ ... -ne-restit

No Flo in Italy nobody goes to jail for tax evasion and if you are rich you just cut a deal and pay a percentage of what you actually owe and everyone lives happily ever after.

Cipollini and Bettini were in the same boat (residences in Monaco), as was Valentino Rossi (residence in London).

That happens in a lot of countries.

TRENDING THREADS