• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 314 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I think he'll probably try to go as high in the standings as he can get. I hope a stage win is his first priority though. A stage win would be better and more memorable then a top 10 or top 5.

Re:

Afrank said:
I think he'll probably try to go as high in the standings as he can get. I hope a stage win is his first priority though. A stage win would be better and more memorable then a top 10 or top 5.

I think he will go for a stage win. Doubt it will be from a breakaway though. He might want to show that he is one of the very best and just win from GC group, for example by having Astana pull, attacking 2-3km from the top of Allos, increasing the gap on descent and holding on on Pra Loup (that is if he is not sick anymore)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, he definitely couldn't do it form a breakaway. Lotto, Tinkoff, BMC, maybe even Movistar would chase that break (depending on how much GC is being rearranged in the Alps).

Allos presents him a very good opportunity tomorrow. Astana just has to make sure the gap to the break stays at a distance he can close between the descent and the finish. He'll have an even better chance if we get some good rain.

Re:

Pippo_San said:
Nibbles & Pistolero attack.
Craziness ensues.
Team Sky too weak to reply.
Valverde thinking about saving his ass and not giving a **** about Quintana.
Gap rises.
4 mins recovered.

Pippo_San sobers up and wakes up from a dream. When was the 4min gap ever made up with a tactic like that?
Lots of people praise Fuente De and hope for the same. Well, check the GC gaps prior to that stage and the GC gaps to 2 main competitors during that stage..... then take a look at current GC.

Unless Froome falls off the bike due to some kamikaze-like attack by other rider on descent (like Thomas), this race is over.
The fight for other spots on a podium and top 5 + stage wins will be very interesting though

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Love this guy. Most riders would have climbed of their bikes long ago, but he sits tight through all the crap and has regained some form to attack and do the number 1 on his back justice. Surprised that they did not keep the break on a leash today for him to go for the win though.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
not sure how he can get a stage win. No one controls the breakaway. And so far, they have gone to 10 minutes before the final climb. His chances is only when the GC guys wants the stage win. Otherwise, he should try break away. Contador has lost 6 minutes now. If Nibali goes, he should go.

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
Jelantik said:
not sure how he can get a stage win. No one controls the breakaway.
Astana could control it then.

They should, perhaps. Whether they could or would is another story. On another Astana related note I heard Kessiakoff talk on the Swedish Eurosport-broadcast the other day, he wasn't very pleased with the way Astana went around business. Seems like a tough team to ride for no matter if you'te dom or capt. I wouldn't be heartbroken to see Nibali ride elsewhere.

I just want some people's opinion on a question that I, and many other people, have been asking themselves:
If Nibali was in last year's shape, then where would he have come?
I think 2nd. Ahead of Quintana but behind Froome, although Froome would have been very stretched and forced to attack, unlike in this Tour.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
To be fair to Nibali he said at the start that he planned to be aggressive and gain a lot of time in the final week, as he thought the others such as Froome would be weaker then.

He's looking good

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Jspear said:
I could easily see him getting flak for this. :)

No holds barred. Aru took the Pink Jersey off Contador after AC crashed (only a teammate's bike saved the day). Nobody waited for Tony Martin when he had a mechanical (another teammate saved the day there too and Martin took Yellow). Who waited for Pinot when his derailleur failed in Stage 4? Maybe every time someone flats in Paris Roubaix, the whole field should stop and have tea. If attacking on a descent caused Froome to crash would they all have to stop? Uh oh, Bardet has a chain problem! Kreuzinger has a flat! Neutralize the race, stop the race! Enough.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

My stance on attacking has always been to quote Sastre 'It's a race not a tea party'. But Nibs is one of my favs and this just isn't sitting well. I should be happy he is winning this stage. But I'm not, I had higher expectations of him. Granted Astana has always attacked on others problems. Vino must have warped Nibs sense of honor.......

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
On the matter of his attack, here- https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/624587786444742657/pu/vid/640x360/Cm4mX8jERMA85h9Y.webm

Watching this it looks at first like Nibali took advantage of Froomes mechanical, but Nibali's teammate seems to be blocking his view of Froome. So perhaps he just saw that Froome was drifting back and suddenly didn't have a clear line to chase him if he chose to attack. He may not have even seen Froome had a mechanical.

Furthermore, Nibali was no threat to Froomes GC (more a threat to Movistar), otherwise we would have seen Sky go to the front immediately when Froome was back in it.

And this is a bike race, it stops for nothing. No harm, no foul IMO.

TRENDING THREADS