• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 316 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

whittashau said:
What did happen to Nibali this Tour? Very strong ITT. Strong on the cobbles, doesn't lose much time on the Mur de Huy. Then he gets crashed into and apparently can't follow big accelerations However, in the first big mountain stage he was climbing worse than Kangert.
I think the crash took more out of him than he let on

Re: Re:

cineteq said:
Afrank said:
On the matter of his attack, here- https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/624587786444742657/pu/vid/640x360/Cm4mX8jERMA85h9Y.webm

Watching this it looks at first like Nibali took advantage of Froomes mechanical, but Nibali's teammate seems to be blocking his view of Froome. So perhaps he just saw that Froome was drifting back and suddenly didn't have a clear line to chase him if he chose to attack. He may not have even seen Froome had a mechanical.

Furthermore, Nibali was no threat to Froomes GC (more a threat to Movistar), otherwise we would have seen Sky go to the front immediately when Froome was back in it.

And this is a bike race, it stops for nothing. No harm, no foul IMO.
Hi didn't take advantage of Froome per se. He aimed to win the stage, and take time on Valverde and Contador. Basta!
This. I don't really understand why Froome complains about Nibali attacking. First of all, before the stage Froome said he would not follow anyone else's attack but Movistar duo. So why is he suddenly so much interested in commenting Nibali's attack? As pointed out above, Nibali's attack was to gain time mainly on Contador and Valverde. If Froome believes that his position can be threatened by Nibali attacking, well... then he is not so secure as he seems.

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nibali discussion thread

Froome complaining because of the attack while he had a mechanical. He's trying to find excuses because today Quintana overpowered him.

Cramps said:
Carols said:
My stance on attacking has always been to quote Sastre 'It's a race not a tea party'. But Nibs is one of my favs and this just isn't sitting well. I should be happy he is winning this stage. But I'm not, I had higher expectations of him. Granted Astana has always attacked on others problems. Vino must have warped Nibs sense of honor.......

I feel where you're coming from. One thing David Millar pointed out was that an attack of that kind , so much distance, so much mountain, isn't something you do on a whim. It was probably largely planned out. Seeing Froome struggle might have been the immediate trigger but the attack would have been launched soon anyway (probably!) Would the chase have been any different? Probably not but impossible to say for sure. Anyway I was thrilled by the heart and fire behind a fantastic long range attack like that!

It was an epic ride not doubt! He was Awesome! I should be jumping for joy. I've always believed no quarter should be given.

But for some reason it's just not sitting well. It caused no impact to Froome's position. Nibs view was blocked and he probably thought Froome was in difficulty, not having a mechanical. If it was a mechanical, not just a missed gear shift. It wasn't for the jersey but only for a stage win. All this rationalizing but I'm still disappointed he chose that particular moment to take off!

Mozart92 said:
Froome complaining because of the attack while he had a mechanical. He's trying to find excuses because today Quintana overpowered him.

That is complete nonsense. How would Froome complaining about Nibali have anything to do with Quintana riding better than Froome?

Honestly engage brain...

I like the way Nibali rides but he won today because he attacked when Froome had a mechanical - He's been under a lot of pressure and not handled himself well on this tour - shame he's better than that.
Imagine the response if a sky rider had done that mmmmmmmeltdown on the forum!

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site

Hayabusa said:
Mozart92 said:

That is complete nonsense. How would Froome complaining about Nibali have anything to do with Quintana riding better than Froome?

Honestly engage brain...

You should probably give that advice to Froome

Re:

rkp5097 said:
I like the way Nibali rides but he won today because he attacked when Froome had a mechanical - He's been under a lot of pressure and not handled himself well on this tour - shame he's better than that.

Haha, if Froome had attacked a rival who was having a mechanical, and went on a 50km solo win, there would be nothing left of the server room except a smoking hole in the ground.

whittashau said:
Hayabusa said:
Mozart92 said:

Honestly engage brain...

To the guy winning the TDF? Out of the Big4 he has played this Tour the best. Movistar on the otherhand....

Re:

rkp5097 said:
What are you babbling about?
Nibali was 8 minutes behind Froome. Froome should care about Quintana and Valverde, not about anyone else.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Re:

rkp5097 said:

He was 8 minutes down. I don't expect any rider that far down to adhere to any "unwritten rules". Plus, Sky attacked in stage 2 when Nibali got caught behind in a crash. Froome didn't stop riding when Contador crashed either.

How about when he attacked his own teammate in 2012?

The pot is calling the kettle black

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My only regret is that Nibali was not in this form/2014 tour de france form from the off in this race. With his race instinct he would have made this tour amazing and might have been strong enough to win.

If Froome insists on shifting the front derailleur while spinning at 200rpm it's his own fault if his chain drops. Ok, slight hyperbole but it's a bike race and having a properly functioning bike and knowing how to use it is part of the race. They didn't give Bardet a head start because Sram are incapable of building a functioning groupset did they?

And quite frankly I doubt Froome and Sky would have chased Nibali, he's no threat to them.

He is however, a massive problem for Movistar now. If he goes tomorrow will they let Valverde chase and possibly blow himself up so he can't help Quintana? If Valverde does chance will Sky let them go and then try to burn out the Little Columbian. It could be very interesting.

Most likely it'll just be a procession up the Alpe with 15-130 seconds going one way or the other, but you never know.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site

Hayabusa said:
whittashau said:
Hayabusa said:
Mozart92 said:

Honestly engage brain...

To the guy winning the TDF? Out of the Big4 he has played this Tour the best. Movistar on the otherhand....
Team Sky's tactics have been sound. I'm talking about when Froome opens his mouth.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fungusbear said:
My only regret is that Nibali was not in this form/2014 tour de france form from the off in this race. With his race instinct he would have made this tour amazing and might have been strong enough to win.

His form seemed fine to me at the start of the race. The problem was after he crashed

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Now a podium. Would be a great end after such a disappointing start.

Oh my god...Congrats Nibs!

Just realized he won the stage :cool: wow. Working today and gave up following results but did spend energy posting in the clinic lol...

Can't wait to watch the stage!

Forza Lo Squalo!

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Nibali said:
“Lots of things have happened to me too, but that's cycling. When Contador crashed on the descent (to Pra-Loup) we didn't know until three or four kilometres after. It happens a lot of times in races. I can remember when I crashed at the 2010 Giro d'Italia, at Montalcino. There was the incident when Andy Schleck was attacked by Contador at the Tour the other year. There are no rules….”

Jagartrott said:
rkp5097 said:
What are you babbling about?
Nibali was 8 minutes behind Froome. Froome should care about Quintana and Valverde, not about anyone else.

Spot on. Nothing else to say.

whittashau said:
rkp5097 said:

He was 8 minutes down. I don't expect any rider that far down to adhere to any "unwritten rules". Plus, Sky attacked in stage 2 when Nibali got caught behind in a crash. Froome didn't stop riding when Contador crashed either.

How about when he attacked his own teammate in 2012?

The pot is calling the kettle black

You mean when piti was drilling it on the descent to secure a podium place? Froome should have stopped on his own and wait for Contador? :confused: