• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 318 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

I respect you opinion, but not agree. Sportmanship has always been part of the sport.

Brullnux said:
Guybrush said:
it's not about Froome, think about it:

*Nibali attacks when he has a mecanical problem
*Froome doesn't care because he's far back in GC
*The other CG riders must wait the arrival of Froome
*Nibali takes advantage of CG rivals (places between 3 and 8)
*They (Contador/Valverde/Gesink) should be angry with him, not Froome

I disagree. They should be angry with themselves, they could have chased on. Valverde almost led the GC guys back up to Nibali before he saw how close Bala and co were so attacked again. Point 3 is false too. They don't have too. It's a choice. In the end they made the wrong one. I have zero sympathy for Froome, as you have to learn to ride a bike properly not just know how pedal to win, zero sympathy for Valverde too as the only reason because he didn't chase back on was because he couldn't. End of.

end of what?

Re:

warmfuzzies said:
We're slowing seeing the end of gentlemen's racing. This change puts more emphasis on winning at all costs at the expense of some notion of sporting chivalry. Chaingate was the last memorable example, but Nibali's attack will be remembered in a similar fashion. I do agree, tho, the move was not important to the overall classification.

I think this is just what makes Froome's complaints so silly.
Chaingate was controversial, as was Astana attacking Contador when he had a mechanical during this year's Giro - though they got hit pretty hard by karma a few days later.
This, on the other hand, had no real impact on the GC; Nibali passed Contador but that's it.

taken from cn article

Nibali surged away a few seconds after Froome stopped on the side of the road, three kilometres from the top of the Col de la Croix de Fer, with 58km left in the stage. Several riders tried to go with the Italian but he powered clear alone, dived down the descent and won alone atop the climb to La Toussuire.

Froome quickly recovered from his mechanical problem (a stone had apparently become lodged in his rear brake) on the climb, but Nibali revealed Froome verbally attacked him after the stage in the podium area.

“I won't say the words he used because they've too harsh and it's not nice to say them. He was very angry but I don't know what his problem was. Lots of things happen in a race…” Nibali said in the post-stage press conference, seemingly unworried by the attack.

“Before judging, you need to think and use your brain. We're all nervous after the stage but he (verbally) attacked me. But I didn't reply, I didn't say anything,” Nibali explained.

It seems Froome and Nibali have never had a good relationship, with events during last year's Tour de France worsening their relationship.

snccdcno said:
gazr99 said:
Eagle said:
gazr99 said:
whittashau said:
He didn't throw a bottle. People were imagining things

Trolling right?
How is this trolling?

Claiming Nibali didn't throw a bottle. Even Nibali pretty much admitted it

Erm no, he very much denied throwing a bottle at Froome.

Yes, and what people thought was a bottle was obviously a flag.

Re:

gazr99 said:
50/50 on whether Nibali knew Froome had a mechanical or not. If he didn't, he probably simply thought Froome was struggling by slowing down, so fair enough. If he did, it's a very cheap move, it's an unwritten rule to not attack the yellow jersey when he has a mechanical and he probably knew the majority of his rivals wouldn't counter attack

He did see it. He didn't deny it at all.
Get out with this unwritten rule please. Some wait, some don't. The waiters shouldn't expect it from everyone though since it's a race.
After the stage there is always an hour long tv show about the TdF in the Netherlands(there are 2 actually) and Peter Winnen and Hennie Kuiper were there as guests today and they said Nibali didn't do anything wrong. Also they wondered why Froome made such a big deal of it since Nibali was so far down anyways.
It's nice when someone waits because he doesn't want to take advantage of a mechanical, it sure is, but they certainly don't have too.

Kwibus said:
SeriousSam said:
Nibali said:
“Lots of things have happened to me too, but that's cycling. When Contador crashed on the descent (to Pra-Loup) we didn't know until three or four kilometres after. It happens a lot of times in races. I can remember when I crashed at the 2010 Giro d'Italia, at Montalcino. There was the incident when Andy Schleck was attacked by Contador at the Tour the other year. There are no rules….”

He doesn't have to explain this BS to anyone.
It's a race, not a teaparty said the wise Sastre once. Froome messed up his gearing, own fault. Bye!

Another whiny Chaingate. Please stop this madness!

More dittos from me. I have never understood this idea of holding up for your rivals because of misfortune or their errors. I have also noted how inconsistently it is applied within the sport.

Someone will have to let me know the next time an NBA player's shoe falls off and the guy he's guarding doesn't drive to the hoop and instead waits for him to put his shoe back on his foot. It's lunacy.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
My favorite part of the CN article is nibali referencing himself in the third person.

“Froome, Valverde or Quintana always came after me when I moved, but I was down in eighth overall. Perhaps if Nibali rides well, it scares people,” he (Nibali) said.

Well, he was like Chief Crazy Pedal at Little Bigmountain showing general George Armstrong Froomster how to fight a battle.

Kwibus said:
gazr99 said:
50/50 on whether Nibali knew Froome had a mechanical or not. If he didn't, he probably simply thought Froome was struggling by slowing down, so fair enough. If he did, it's a very cheap move, it's an unwritten rule to not attack the yellow jersey when he has a mechanical and he probably knew the majority of his rivals wouldn't counter attack

He did see it. He didn't deny it at all.
Get out with this unwritten rule please. Some wait, some don't. The waiters shouldn't expect it from everyone though since it's a race.
After the stage there is always an hour long tv show about the TdF in the Netherlands(there are 2 actually) and Peter Winnen and Hennie Kuiper were there as guests today and they said Nibali didn't do anything wrong. Also they wondered why Froome made such a big deal of it since Nibali was so far down anyways.
It's nice when someone waits because he doesn't want to take advantage of a mechanical, it sure is, but they certainly don't have too.

This. Admirable, but certainly not treacherous when it doesn't happen. And what goes around, comes around.

Certainly, I took far more of a dim view of Barguil's antics on the d'Allos descent. He smashed G head first into a pole, and didn't even look back once to see if he'd killed the guy or not. Now that was a bum move.

Re:

warmfuzzies said:
We're slowing seeing the end of gentlemen's racing. This change puts more emphasis on winning at all costs at the expense of some notion of sporting chivalry. Chaingate was the last memorable example, but Nibali's attack will be remembered in a similar fashion. I do agree, tho, the move was not important to the overall classification.

Back in the days of heroic cycling, attacking when an opponent had some kind of mechanical problem was considered absolutely normal. Actually, there have been cases of riders attacking when the leader was peeing (Charly Gaul lost a Giro because of that). And there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion: it's a race, taking advantage of your opponent's misfortune is totally fine. I've never seen a football game where the striker decides not to take advantage of a defender's fall, or a F1 race where all the drivers wait for one of their opponents to get back his position if he has a puncture or some kind of technical or mechanical problem.

Turn it on it's head.
Quintana's in Yellow, Froome's 2nd. Quintana catches bars in spectators camera bag from a long way out and has to stop to untangle, Froome looks back twice and attacks Quintana and gets into Yellow.
How would you feel about this. Same scenario.
The unwritten rule is clear in that if the race is on and in full battle mode, you don't wait, because you can't. In Froomes case the battle wasn't on until Nibali attacked, therefore the unwritten rule was stretched to favour Nibali. Looks like he would have won the stage anyway, but this sin;t the point. It was a concious decision on Nibali's part to shoot when he knew the oppositions gun had jammed before the battle had started. The team car would have eventually told Nibali what had happened and he still continued. At least Ullrich eventually waited for Armstrong when the team car told him to lol!

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
Turn it on it's head.
Quintana's in Yellow, Froome's 2nd. Quintana catches bars in spectators camera bag from a long way out and has to stop to untangle, Froome looks back twice and attacks Quintana and gets into Yellow.
How would you feel about this. Same scenario.
The unwritten rule is clear in that if the race is on and in full battle mode, you don't wait, because you can't. In Froomes case the battle wasn't on until Nibali attacked, therefore the unwritten rule was stretched to favour Nibali. Looks like he would have won the stage anyway, but this sin;t the point. It was a concious decision on Nibali's part to shoot when he knew the oppositions gun had jammed before the battle had started. The team car would have eventually told Nibali what had happened and he still continued. At least Ullrich eventually waited for Armstrong when the team car told him to lol!
The race was on from the second Contador attacked

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nibali discussion thread

Hayabusa said:
Mozart92 said:
Froome complaining because of the attack while he had a mechanical. He's trying to find excuses because today Quintana overpowered him.

That is complete nonsense. How would Froome complaining about Nibali have anything to do with Quintana riding better than Froome?

Honestly engage brain...

Engage the brain and the eyes. :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-froome-accuses-nibali-of-unsporting-behaviour

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Mozart92 said:
Hayabusa said:
Mozart92 said:
Froome complaining because of the attack while he had a mechanical. He's trying to find excuses because today Quintana overpowered him.

That is complete nonsense. How would Froome complaining about Nibali have anything to do with Quintana riding better than Froome?

Honestly engage brain...

Engage the brain and the eyes. :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-froome-accuses-nibali-of-unsporting-behaviour

Show me where he says he lost to Quintana due to Nibali's attack.