• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 325 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Nibali discussion thread

Carols said:
I just checked Nibs' twitter page to see he says anything about possible moves.

He describes himself:
2014 Victory: EmmaVittoria's Father, Campione d'Italia and Tour de France

His biggest victory is his daughter, I'm so totally impressed :).

The description is there since last year and it's also interesting to mention that campione d'Italia is the second on the list followed by TdF. He really is a family man, heard he doesn't train in Lugano and is not too happy going to Tenerife with the team. I think this year he wasn't so motivated to go through all the hard work and sacrifices for Le Tour. Quite simply he wasn't ready 100% and rode into form during the race.

Rollthedice said:
Carols said:

He describes himself:

The description is there since last year and it's also interesting to mention that campione d'Italia is the second on the list followed by TdF. He really is a family man, heard he doesn't train in Lugano and is not too happy going to Tenerife with the team. I think this year he wasn't so motivated to go through all the hard work and sacrifices for Le Tour. Quite simply he wasn't ready 100% and rode into form during the race.

Yes he obviously values his Giro win only behind his daughter and before le Tour. His daughter has changed his outlook on descents also as he claimed not to go all out because he is a 'family man'.

I hope he can start his own team but that hasn't worked to well for other cyclists in the past. For sure he would be top dog at either BMC or Trek. He should look at Tinkoff if he can stomach Oleg.

Wherever he goes he's got to train hard! But getting dissed by Vino is surely old and less than motivating.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
One would hope that such a unsuccessful season will make him more inclined to train harder next season. Personally as a fan of his I really want him to have another go at the Tour and show the many naysayers on this forum that he is a serious challenger to Froome and co. Especially considering he is at the age where he could conceivably start declining soon. I think he would be capable of winning a Giro at 33-35, but I personally think that the next couple of seasons are the last years where he'll be capable of contending for the Tour.

Carols said:
Rollthedice said:
Carols said:

He describes himself:

Yes he obviously values his Giro win only behind his daughter and before le Tour. His daughter has changed his outlook on descents also as he claimed not to go all out because he is a 'family man'.

I hope he can start his own team but that hasn't worked to well for other cyclists in the past. For sure he would be top dog at either BMC or Trek. He should look at Tinkoff if he can stomach Oleg.

Wherever he goes he's got to train hard! But getting dissed by Vino is surely old and less than motivating.
"Campione d'Italia" in italian is referred to the italian road race championship not the Giro.

Carols said:

He stomached Vino. Tinkov will go down as easy as water compared to him.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Btw I don't think the description on his page means anything. It's a chronological list of his achievements in 2014, he sure doesn't value the Italian Championship before his tour win.
I was wondering if this was the case, but couldn't be bothered to look up when Emma Vittoria was born :D thanks for having the energy for me

Brullnux said:
Carols said:

He stomached Vino. Tinkov will go down as easy as water compared to him.

I don't know about that! Sagan won Green and still Oleg took him to task publicly. They both S*ck as bosses!

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
He haven't gone all out in any race besides the Tour de France all year, where he only reached his peak condition in the 3rd week. He should be fine for the Vuelta.

But will he be the undisputed captain, 60/40 or 50/50 with Aru? Could be epic to see Landa be stronger than both of them, but i doubt he will be as strong as the Giro.

It could be a good battle between him, Quintana, Valverde and the other guys who are coming as outsiders. (Majka, JRod, Poz etc).

I expect to something like this, just with three riders, a lot of times during the Vuelta :p

preview-astana.jpg

There is only one captain in Astana and that is Nibali, when he's not available it is Aru. Landa will pack his bags so he'll be a dom and was never supposed to lead in Vuelta. That was the whole point of Vino sending Nibali to Vuelta, the Kazakhs need a GT win and Aru is not yet capable of delivering. Whether Nibs can keep or improve the level he showed in last week TdF remains to be seen. Anyway Astana will have a formidable team in Vuelta, should be fun.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Now i'm 100% sure froome and quintana won't do the vuelta. Look what happened with Contador, and now nibali is in the team too :p

The question isn't whether astana will win the vuelta but which one?

Re:

Rollthedice said:
There is only one captain in Astana and that is Nibali, when he's not available it is Aru. Landa will pack his bags so he'll be a dom and was never supposed to lead in Vuelta. That was the whole point of Vino sending Nibali to Vuelta, the Kazakhs need a GT win and Aru is not yet capable of delivering. Whether Nibs can keep or improve the level he showed in last week TdF remains to be seen. Anyway Astana will have a formidable team in Vuelta, should be fun.

agreed. this move to send him to the Vuelta is to assure the title is for Astana-whether is Nibbs himself, or Aru. Landa will find himself in a strange situation when he can well perform to win it and yet kept on domestique duties . Gotta add that If they don't deliver with the team they're sending to Spain, then some head will roll for sure :D

Re: Re:

hfer07 said:
Rollthedice said:

agreed. this move to send him to the Vuelta is to assure the title is for Astana-whether is Nibbs himself, or Aru. Landa will find himself in a strange situation when he can well perform to win it and yet kept on domestique duties . Gotta add that If they don't deliver with the team they're sending to Spain, then some head will roll for sure :D

This. They've got a pretty impressive line up. I really hope they don't use the tactics from the Giro. I hope they realize how strong they are and actually use that to their advantage. I do think they will be smarter here simply because Nibali is on the team.

Re:

Carols said:
Bye, Bye Vino!!!! I hope it is true. He has delivered 2 GT wins for Vino and been treated like crap.....

Nibali will leave the turquoise team at the end of 2016, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. BMC and Trek Factory Racing have been named as squads who might sign him, but the newspaper reported that the 30-year-old Sicilian is considering a team of his own.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/report-change-on-the-horizon-for-nibali_379941#wCF5p4o370b2cAyS.99

What is up with BMC? Surely TJVG and Porte are enough for one team to focus on.

Re: Re:

Could very well be an all-Astana podium and does somewhat hope Skeletor joins now just to see how he copes with Astana in Giro fashion. That is unless Skys handwashing and pillows doesnt create yet another potential Tour-winner á la Froome in a reversed situation 2011.

Nah. Froome wont bait and runs out this one.

Re:

Miburo said:
Now i'm 100% sure froome and quintana won't do the vuelta. Look what happened with Contador, and now nibali is in the team too :p

The question isn't whether astana will win the vuelta but which one?
After Guillén took charge of the Vuelta odd numbered years result in odd winners no matter the level of contenders: Cobo, Horner, fill the gap here. Oh! And someone in the Vuelta podium will win the TdF next year :D