• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 326 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-and-aru-show-united-front-ahead-of-vuelta-a-espaa/

I found it quite an entertaining interview. It was interesting to see him make thinly veiled digs at Froome and Movistar, clearly there is little love between them. :D

I was impressed by Nibali's incredible calmness in that interview - he must be feeling very little pressure right now. Lo squalo è tranquillo. If he is in decent shape then he will be awesome to watch, attacking from 60km out again won't be out of the question.

He is also pretty happy about the relationship between him and Aru. I think Aru looks up to him, for sure. Like Nibali looked up to Basso, sort of way, but maybe Aru looks up to Nibali more. He is saying that he would be happy to work for Aru, which is more that can be said for Landa :p

I'm looking forward to see what he can bring us for the Vuelta.

Re:

Brullnux said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-and-aru-show-united-front-ahead-of-vuelta-a-espaa/

I found it quite an entertaining interview. It was interesting to see him make thinly veiled digs at Froome and Movistar, clearly there is little love between them. :D

I was impressed by Nibali's incredible calmness in that interview - he must be feeling very little pressure right now. Lo squalo è tranquillo. If he is in decent shape then he will be awesome to watch, attacking from 60km out again won't be out of the question.

He is also pretty happy about the relationship between him and Aru. I think Aru looks up to him, for sure. Like Nibali looked up to Basso, sort of way, but maybe Aru looks up to Nibali more. He is saying that he would be happy to work for Aru, which is more that can be said for Landa :p

I wouldn't call it thinly veiled at all, more Nibs telling it like it is :D Nibali said, adding: “At the time, I preferred not to mention it, but in 2010 Froome was excluded from the Giro for being towed by a car…” I thought it was a moto though. He obviously cannot stand the guy. Makes two of us Nibs :).

Nibs is a team player, if Aru is stronger he will ride for him. But I hope both of them have excellent rides and give the old one, two punch. Landa is already 'short time' as we say in the US and he is Spanish. I doubt he will be accorded anything but a minor role by the united Italians.

At the time, I preferred not to mention it, but in 2010 Froome was excluded from the Giro for being towed by a car…
What does this have to do with his classless behaviour in Le Havre?
Or is it regarding the 2013 data? If so, he should be reminded how long it took him to become the Tour contender.
That arrogant environment is getting to him. He's less and less likeable.

Re:

Brullnux said:

One can be quite tranquilo in an interview. Nibali is known for being calm under fire so his demeanor leading up to the Vuelta shouldn't be surprising but I'd say he's under pressure to salvage his season. His primary focus was the Tour and he failed to even make the podium. A Tour stage win wasn't what he prepped his season for so he should be expected to be under pressure from Vino to make up for his disappointing Tour performance by delivering at the Vuelta. His all for the Tour approach that many tauted as the reason for his extraordinary form at the 2014 Tour and was defended by many prior to the Tour as him not changing what got him his Tour win has proven to have failed him in 2015. He should be motivated to make up for what has been, with the exception of his Italian road championship and Tour win, a less than stellar follow up to his 2014 Tour win season.

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
At the time, I preferred not to mention it, but in 2010 Froome was excluded from the Giro for being towed by a car…
Or is it regarding the 2013 data? If so, he should be reminded how long it took him to become the Tour contender.
If i recall correctly he had problems with himself till at least 2011. He then had some problems with Contador, because Alberto was laughing and sharing food with Scarponi or sth like that #sarcasm. My opinion is of course completly biased, as I clearly hate this guy - i like him on the bike, hate him off the bike. For me he seems to have an unsympathetic, egoistic and arrogant personality and he's not 20, he's 30. Bullsheep, not family man. On the bike he seems to be different - knows how to ride his bike, how to strategize properly and sacrifice himself for better gains. I hope that the very strong personalities of Nibbles, Angel and Iban Mayo 2.0 (another suspicious personality, hope he won't destroy himself like Iban did; Taxus, watch him please, i don't want another wasted talent) will find peace with each other and will ride Vuelta undisturbed.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Bringing up Froome's embarassing incident seemingly unprompted, mocking Q and V for riding for third, all when the 2014 Champ himself who prepared all year to be in the best possible shape at the Tour was profoundly humiliated... not a good look.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:

Well how long?! What's your point? His career trajectory went just fine, unlike some others that he mentioned..

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:

Landa actually worked for Aru pretty hard, which is a lot more that can be said for Nibali

Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
sir fly said:

Well how long?! What's your point? His career trajectory went just fine, unlike some others that he mentioned..
Longer than his arrogance suggests.
The remark is classless. As was his behaviour in Le Havre.
He just can't get over the fact he's light years behind the man he was with on the Restefond in 2008 Tour.

Mr.White said:
Brullnux said:

Landa actually worked for Aru pretty hard, which is a lot more that can be said for Nibali
Landa worked very hard for Aru, but not happily. I'd be surprised if he works for Aru again. Maybe he'll work with Aru, but not for him.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

sir fly said:
Mr.White said:
sir fly said:

He just can't get over the fact he's light years behind the man he was with on the Restefond in 2008 Tour.

Light years?! Really? You have some strange perspective... Don't know if he's behind at all

Mr.White said:
sir fly said:
Mr.White said:
sir fly said:

Light years?! Really? You have some strange perspective... Don't know if he's behind at all
When the defending Tour champion after the first summit finish finds himself so far behind the winner, even unable to follow own lieutenants - that's light years.
And when was the last time he defeated Froome?
But if he keeps talking loud enough about Froome and the motorbike, people will maybe forget about Astana's image, they're confirming every day.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
How about last year's Tour...
Anyway, more GT's, more podiums, more top 10, way better classics rider and record, and you say light years behind, well something doesn't fit in that picture!

Re:

Mr.White said:
Anyway, more GT's, more podiums, more top 10, way better classics rider and record, and you say light years behind, well something doesn't fit in that picture!
He won the Tour, yes, but didn't defeat Froome.
Tirreno 2013 is the last time, I'll tell you. You make the calculation in years.
Light years and noise about credibility, that's all left of once likeable rider.
That's what you get hanging around with Vino.

sir fly said:
Mr.White said:
sir fly said:

Nibali has more class than Froome will ever have. On and off the bike.

sir fly said:
Mr.White said:
He won the Tour, yes, but didn't defeat Froome.
Tirreno 2013 is the last time, I'll tell you. You make the calculation in years.
Light years and noise about credibility, that's all left of once likeable rider.
That's what you get hanging around with Vino.
He did defeat Froome - if a rider forgets how to ride a bike without falling over then they lose to everyone in the race. Kittel beat Froome that year.

Billie said:
sir fly said:
Mr.White said:
sir fly said:

Nibali has more class than Froome will ever have. On and off the bike.
So he's just stupid then.
You really have to be dumb to get hit from the left and think a rider on your right is responsible.
Pure class.

Re:

sir fly said:

His (Nibali's) was a more natural progression to being a Tour contender, unlike Froome's.

His comment about Froome being towed by a car was a reminder that Froome is not devoid of ethically questionable behavior in his past.

Angliru said:
sir fly said:

His (Nibali's) was a more natural progression to being a Tour contender, unlike Froome's.

His comment about Froome being towed by a car was a reminder that Froome is not devoid of ethically questionable behavior in his past.
Yeah, like no one's asking questions, and the audience is so kind.
I'll repeat - we might forget about Astana's problems if he shouts it more loud.