• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 360 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Vass43 said:
What are peoples thoughts after today. I'm slightly disappointed - I thought he rode well but Kruijswijk rode better.

Actually I think he was quite good, probably didn't expect and was a little spent after dropping Bala and the rest, Kruijs counter attack and couldn't respond to the acceleration. But then he rode great alone on very difficult terain to stay in contention like an experienced champion.

He only has Kruijs to hunt down now and keep an eye on Chaves while managing to drop everybody else. Speaking stricly about Giro. Nibali is not the dominant 2013 version, years have passed, prep is different and the opposition is different but he is strong, confident and focused to win. I don't see why he can't.

I think tomorrow he has the chance to win the stage, don't doubt his recovery.

Re:

Fernandez said:
Today Nibali was as strong as Chaves and "Kruisbich", he could have been with then. The thing was that they attacked him just after the effort he did to break the group and he was empty at that moment, but I saw him going well.

Races are not won on could have beens. The only good thing about his attack is that he finished off Valverde but if he was as good as Chaves and the Dutchman he would have caught them on the descent. He is still in a good position but the race is still there for the taking. A three way battle now unless someone collapses suddenly which is unlikely. The others seem to be racing for fourth place with more mountains to come.

Gotta be honest here, I think today's stage was one of his most beautiful and gutsy rides ever. Being dropped so far from the finish and riding alone for such a long time losing only 35 seconds in the end, great stuff.
I had flashes of the Bola del Mundo 2010 stage, with Mosquera dropping him early and Nibali fighting his way back. That's the day I became a fan, and today I remembered why.

This is not the superhuman Nibali of 2013/14. This is a vulnerable and imperfect rider who will never give up without a fight. A true cagnaccio. I'm not sure he has the shape to fight for the jersey in the third week but I know he'll try. Some entertaining stages are coming. Chapeau champion.

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
Gotta be honest here, I think today's stage was one of his most beautiful and gutsy rides ever. Being dropped so far from the finish and riding alone for such a long time losing only 35 seconds in the end, great stuff.
I had flashes of the Bola del Mundo 2010 stage, with Mosquera dropping him early and Nibali fighting his way back. That's the day I became a fan, and today I remembered why.

This is not the superhuman Nibali of 2013/14. This is a vulnerable and imperfect rider who will never give up without a fight. A true cagnaccio. I'm not sure he has the shape to fight for the jersey in the third week but I know he'll try. Some entertaining stages are coming. Chapeau champion.

Great post. Agree 100%

Re:

Great post. Watched a Bein Sports french broadcast, and the guys were saying that Nibali was losing time, every minute, blah, blah...All I watched was a rider in control, cutting his losses to a minimum. I bet he was thinking about the next day, the ITT.
SafeBet said:

Re:

SafeBet said:

Great post, same thoughts. How would you translate cagnaccio?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If he has some serious balls, he needs to go nuclear on the descents. And catch up to his teammates from early breaks, that's the only way i see him winning it.

It's 50/50 between him and kruiswijk. Chavez isn't a real contender imo.

Nibali is at 2,90 right now. Insane value. Pretty confident that he will toy with the boys in the last week and has a much, much better team which they need to make use of instead of just setting tempo. I think Nibali has more room for improvement in the last week compared to Kruijswijk.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
SafeBet said:

Great post, same thoughts. How would you translate cagnaccio?

Literally would be something like mongrel, but it means someone that never gives up, very hard to deal with it. :D

Edit: ... but I guess you knew it! :)

Re:

SafeBet said:

Agreed. He showed real grinta today.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah obviously; it's a big if. But with nibali you really don't know what you gonna get. He might suddenly become a beast like in la toussuire or be average like on the alpe last year

He was focused to drop Valverde and in the process was caught in the crossfire by Kruijswijk. I doubt that if Kruij would've attacked first he would've been dropped. It doesn't help when Nibs has to do all the moves. From now on Steven is the target, let's see how he defends the jersey and the tactics could change, there are plenty of opportunities left even before Saturday.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
He was focused to drop Valverde and in the process was caught in the crossfire by Kruijswijk. I doubt that if Kruij would've attacked first he would've been dropped. It doesn't help when Nibs has to do all the moves. From now on Steven is the target, let's see how he defends the jersey and the tactics could change, there are plenty of opportunities left even before Saturday.

This :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ofcrouse Nibali would have dropped if Kruij went first, he and Chaves was simply stronger than Nibali yesterday no matter how you spin it, if he will be stronger than Nibali for the overall win remains to be seen tho but dont come with that ***. :eek:

blackmamba said:
Rollthedice said:

This :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ofcrouse Nibali would have dropped if Kruij went first, he and Chaves was simply stronger than Nibali yesterday no matter how you spin it, if he will be stronger than Nibali for the overall win remains to be seen tho but dont come with that ******. :eek:

Wow.

I couldn't see anything wrong with his post. He pulled massively on the flat part of the last climb when Valverde was in trouble, but once the road tilted upwards, Kruijswijk and Chaves had a little more in the tank. Disagree with him, but stop spamming those stupid smileys every time and be so aggressive. Post reported.

Re:

Miburo said:
If Kruiswijk is good enough, he needs to pull a Contador and drop nibali on the ascent to avoid that.

Lotto-nl and Kruijswijk agreed not to attack yesterday as they figured it was a bad day for attacking.... I kid you not!
It was after Nibali attacking that Kruijswijk felt so good that he told the DS he felt great and that he had a lot left. Only then they decided to attack.

Allthough they did add that the stage wasn't good to attack that if the lefs are good you should use them.

Valv.Piti said:
blackmamba said:
Rollthedice said:

This :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ofcrouse Nibali would have dropped if Kruij went first, he and Chaves was simply stronger than Nibali yesterday no matter how you spin it, if he will be stronger than Nibali for the overall win remains to be seen tho but dont come with that ******. :eek:

Wow.

I couldn't see anything wrong with his post. He pulled massively on the flat part of the last climb when Valverde was in trouble, but once the road tilted upwards, Kruijswijk and Chaves had a little more in the tank. Disagree with him, but stop spamming those stupid smileys every time and be so aggressive. Post reported.

While I agree with you. Reporting the post is maybe a bit too much.
His post is incredibly childish and the use of emojis is cringeworthy.

TRENDING THREADS