• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 394 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Taxus4a said:
I think he is more leader than Aru for le Tour.

No way...he won't be able to be competitive in the Tour and the Olympics. The competition is too high these days. If he's smart, he'll control himself in the Tour and go all out for the Olympics. He has a real shot at winning the RR. Right now in his career a gold medal would mean more than another Tour win. Picture, winner of all 3 GT's, monument winner, Olympic gold medalist...that would be mighty impressive.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
I think he is more leader than Aru for le Tour.
I think the team is more geared to help Aru (since its mostly his doms), but if Nibali gets to the Pyrenees without having lost time and used too much keeping himself in contention (maybe he will get one helper), I think its 50/50. But it all comes down to Nibali's mindset, wether he chooses to go big and chases Le Tour or if he just uses it as preparation which probably is the smartest move.

Lets not underrated the fact that Contador tried in '11 and '15 AND, more importantly, Nibali won the Tour in '14 when Contador crashed out. That lead many people to say and believe that he wouldn't have won if not for Contador crashing out - Nibali hasn't forgot that.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
im not the only one who isnt happy with nibali though, the peloton seems to be pissed with im too
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/the-secret-pro-nibali-the-giro-ditalia-and-the-importance-of-respect/

He praises Chaves, who also didn't wait for Kruijswijk, while he blasts Nibali, for not waiting for Kruijswijk. The guy's an idiot and I doubt any decent pro-rider agrees with him. Tom Dumoulin also said he wouldn't wait in the same situation. Is he a *** as well now?

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Ha now we are attributing Kruijswijks fall to Nibali's greatness? That's hilarious.

Would Kruijswijk have won the Giro if Nibali had an off-day on stage 19? The answer is most likely yes and you know it.

Nibali saw Kruijswijk was breathing heavy on the Coll d'Agnello, so he attacked near the top and Kruijswijk was on his limit (as he admitted in an interview) and he cracked under the pressure of Nibali's descending prowess. Nibali was the strongest on stage 19 and 20, that's what won him the Giro. That and his attitude of willing to risk everything for the victory. Not caring for second or third place.

Quoted for Truth !

Great to see you back Pistolero, and that too as a fan of Nibbles !

People should just admire Nibali for what he is.
Great courage and risk taker. Very good tactician who rides on instinct and a super bike handler.
This is what sets him apart from other Gc riders of his generation bar Contador.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Is there a serious discussion going on that nibali had to wait for Kruijswijk? LOL

Sounds like chaingate all over again. Kruijswijk cracked under the pressure or was inexperienced. You don't try to eat something when you're descending against nibali.

Or he lied about that or he's an idiot.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

the asian said:
El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Ha now we are attributing Kruijswijks fall to Nibali's greatness? That's hilarious.

Would Kruijswijk have won the Giro if Nibali had an off-day on stage 19? The answer is most likely yes and you know it.

Nibali saw Kruijswijk was breathing heavy on the Coll d'Agnello, so he attacked near the top and Kruijswijk was on his limit (as he admitted in an interview) and he cracked under the pressure of Nibali's descending prowess. Nibali was the strongest on stage 19 and 20, that's what won him the Giro. That and his attitude of willing to risk everything for the victory. Not caring for second or third place.

Quoted for Truth !

Great to see you back Pistolero, and that too as a fan of Nibbles !

People should just admire Nibali for what he is.
Great courage and risk taker. Very good tactician who rides on instinct and a super bike handler.
This is what sets him apart from other Gc riders of his generation bar Contador.

Yeah, I'm a relatively new fan of Nibali. When Contador crashed out I was rooting for Nibali because he'd make a much better winner than Peraud or Valverde, but I wouldn't really call myself a fan back then. It was in his 2015 Tour that I became a fan, when he was at his absolute lowest point, yet he refused to give up and won a stage in a brilliant fashion. His fighting spirit is what made me a fan and he showed it again later that year in Lombardia, which is in my opinion one of the most beautiful classic victories I have seen. Right up there with Gilbert's Lombardia win in 2010.

Some people try to discredit Nibali by saying he wasn't the strongest in many races he won, but that's what I kind of like about him, he's perhaps not the most talented climber out there, but he has amassed such a great palmares. Andy Schleck was a prodigy, but he never won a GT on the road. His only big win was LBL. Nibali on the other hand has 4 Grand Tours (Giro, Tour and Vuelta) and one monument.

Re:

Miburo said:
Is there a serious discussion going on that nibali had to wait for Kruijswijk? LOL

Sounds like chaingate all over again. Kruijswijk cracked under the pressure or was inexperienced. You don't try to eat something when you're descending against nibali.

Or he lied about that or he's an idiot.

chain gate??

In the chain gate was Andy who attacked, Contador didnt do anything and he just attacked when Andy had that problem... it is not the most polite for a champion. He doesnt have to stop... just to keep the pace and attack later, not in that moment...

In this case Nibali attacked in the descent, Kruiswijk tried to follow him and did a mistake, it is just his blame, there is no more.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Nibali publicly stated his feelings about Aru, feels disrespected. I'd like to know the dynamics and allegiances within the team. I feel strongly (but I could be wrong), that Nibali will spoil Aru's chances at the TdF.

Tonton said:
Nibali publicly stated his feelings about Aru, feels disrespected. I'd like to know the dynamics and allegiances within the team. I feel strongly (but I could be wrong), that Nibali will spoil Aru's chances at the TdF.

Last I heard was Nibs pledged support in le Tour i return for support at the Olympics from Aru. Where did you hear differently?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Tonton said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064ghp6r_ps

What I found hilarious in this interview was when the interviewer asked how much they liked each other from a scale from 1 to 10. Nibali gave an 8 (obviously just being polite) while Aru only gave a 6 lol. Probably pissed Nibali off even more.

Carols said:
Tonton said:

Last I heard was Nibs pledged support in le Tour i return for support at the Olympics from Aru. Where did you hear differently?
Pledged? Quote, please. And even then, same pledge as Hinault '85? If you followed the statements, you have to be very skeptical. Nibali super-dom? Come on.

The Olympics is a free for all. Check '36 for the best ever. The course is not help-dom-friendly. So what kind of a deal would that be?

We'll see.

El Pistolero said:
Tonton said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064ghp6r_ps

What I found hilarious in this interview was when the interviewer asked how much they liked each other from a scale from 1 to 10. Nibali gave an 8 (obviously just being polite) while Aru only gave a 6 lol. Probably pissed Nibali off even more.

So they don't care for each other, it happens! As long as they behaved professionally.

Tonton said:
Carols said:
Tonton said:

Pledged? Quote, please. And even then, same pledge as Hinault '85? If you followed the statements, you have to be very skeptical. Nibali super-dom? Come on.

The Olympics is a free for all. Check '36 for the best ever. The course is not help-dom-friendly. So what kind of a deal would that be?

We'll see.

I will have to find it later, I can't hang on line right now. I think it was in the Vino 'maybe Nibali will stay with us' article on either CN or VN ater he won the Giro. But it was basically Vince says he will ride in support of Aru in le Tour in return for support at the Olympics and a graceful exit from Astana.

However should Aru stumble I have no doubt the Shark will bite if he can :).

Meanwhile may I have the Aru disrespected me quote source :) If it was last year who cares, dynamics change.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Post Giro victory:

“[Fabio] Aru will be the leader for the GC. I will go in a support role, and to prepare for the Olympics. The Olympics are my next big goal, that doesn’t change.”

There is some swirling media speculation in Italy that Nibali could take aim at the yellow jersey, and try to become the first rider since Marco Pantani to win the Giro and Tour in the same season, but Nibali said he wouldn’t be trying to match history.

“I don’t think too much about that. Aru is the team’s GC man. My goal is to prepare for the Olympics.”
(http://cycling-today.com/nibali-aru-will-be-the-leader-for-the-gc-in-tour-de-france/)

Exactly what that supporting / backup / decoy role this will be, time will tell, but it will be Aru's team to start.