• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 417 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

johnymax said:
I still feel like Nibali is being underrated around here. Quintana should be the favourite but Nibali isn't far behind if you ask me. He can win even if he's not the strongest rider in the race. He is a true racer and he's shown that several times. I believe he can still reach a high level of peak form, at least as good as in last year's Giro third week. That would be enough to be in the mix for the win imo. And if Nibali is in the mix we all know he'll try anything to get the final victory. If we add some extra motivation, Scarponi, Sicily, 100th Giro,...he'll be there fighting with Quintana (and hopefully some other riders in form) for the top position, I'm pretty sure.

I totally agree. Vincenzo for Giro #3 and GT #5!! Many people don't give him the respect he has earned IMO.

I feel like if Nibali is doing well and is challenging Quintana, everybody would say that was expected due to his GT pedigree, experience etc.

While on the other hand, if he is pretty mediocre, it would all fit the scheme on a gradual decline since he won TdF. i personally don't really know what to expect.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Dekker_Tifosi said:
“Kruijswijk was a surprise last year but we know him now and so things will be different, we won’t give him as much space. Then there’s also [Tom] Dumoulin, [Bauke] Mollema, Tejay van Garderen. There are a lot of good riders here at the Giro d’Italia this year.”

WTF does Nibali mean? Give him space?? Kruijswijk took that space not by being in some early break, he simply outclassed you before the fall :rolleyes:
Translation isn't accurate. Rollthedice got it right.

It surprises me that he mentions three Dutch riders among the contenders actually.

I want Quintana to win on Blockhaus, Nibali to suggest Quintana has been up to shady things in rural Colombia, Nibs doing everything in his might to take the jersey from the the boy from the poor family in the jungle and finally doing so in a snowstorm on Stelvio, then Quintana to play down his achievements and saying his Stelvio-gate was x2 the masterpiece Nibali's was, the two to go back and forth in La Gazetta, polemica...

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I want Quintana to win on Blockhaus, Nibali to suggest Quintana has been up to shady things in rural Colombia, Nibs doing everything in his might to take the jersey from the the boy from the poor family in the jungle and finally doing so in a snowstorm on Stelvio, then Quintana to play down his achievements and saying his Stelvio-gate was x2 the masterpiece Nibali's was, the two to go back and forth in La Gazetta, polemica...

Hahahaha...I'd like that!
Let the war begin! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re:

Forever The Best said:
He was weak today, maybe even as much as last year. I thought Quintana and co would put some digs to distance him but they didn't. Maybe Quintana is weak as well. I hope he gets better before Blockhaus so he can contend for the win against Quintana. (or others if Quintana is weak)

Actually he was pretty good and more cautious than last year when he attacked without having the legs in the wrong moment. Sure this "attack" was for the TV, sponsors, press and the fans. After struggling a bit two weeks ago to keep up with the likes of Roson he is very much on track. He will follow Quintana until a right moment will come.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Forever The Best said:
He was weak today, maybe even as much as last year. I thought Quintana and co would put some digs to distance him but they didn't. Maybe Quintana is weak as well. I hope he gets better before Blockhaus so he can contend for the win against Quintana. (or others if Quintana is weak)

Actually he was pretty good and more cautious than last year when he attacked without having the legs in the wrong moment. Sure this "attack" was for the TV, sponsors, press and the fans. After struggling a bit two weeks ago to keep up with the likes of Roson he is very much on track. He will follow Quintana until a right moment will come.
I think he will try to limit his losses until stage 16 where I expect him to go ballistic.