Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 480 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Alpe-Thibaut said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali in the Ronde? I need this in my life
I won't surprised if he finish top 10
It is not certain he'll take part and given that there are 20 days from Ronde to his target LBL he might not be ready to contest anything. He said he doesn't even know what to expect in Ronde if he goes. On the other hand either a suicide attack on Cote de Cherave or top 10 in Fleche is to be expected.
Is he planning on riding the Amstel?
 
Apr 12, 2017
204
8
3,045
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Alpe-Thibaut said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali in the Ronde? I need this in my life
I won't surprised if he finish top 10
It is not certain he'll take part and given that there are 20 days from Ronde to his target LBL he might not be ready to contest anything. He said he doesn't even know what to expect in Ronde if he goes. On the other hand either a suicide attack on Cote de Cherave or top 10 in Fleche is to be expected.
If he goes to the Ronde he'll be going with little ambition indeed. I don't expect any result in de Ronde at all, and it's just to get used to riding on cobbles in a peloton again, without the risk of PR.

However, he might like the experience of the Ronde itself and have a shot at it in the near future. Let's hope for that. He isn't getting any younger, so if he wants to add more monuments to his palmares, it's time he starts riding (and focusing on) them ;-)
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Alpe-Thibaut said:
Red Rick said:
Nibali in the Ronde? I need this in my life
I won't surprised if he finish top 10
It is not certain he'll take part and given that there are 20 days from Ronde to his target LBL he might not be ready to contest anything. He said he doesn't even know what to expect in Ronde if he goes. On the other hand either a suicide attack on Cote de Cherave or top 10 in Fleche is to be expected.
Is he planning on riding the Amstel?
Yes.
 
Re:

gregrowlerson said:
Just realising that Nibali could one day end up with as many GT's as Contador. '17 Vuelta, '18 Tour, '19 Giro?

Never thought I would ever see the day. Well I may not, but I might.
This reminds me of 18 months ago when Djokovic was a favorite to pass Federer's 17 slams at the time.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
gregrowlerson said:
Just realising that Nibali could one day end up with as many GT's as Contador. '17 Vuelta, '18 Tour, '19 Giro?

Never thought I would ever see the day. Well I may not, but I might.
This reminds me of 18 months ago when Djokovic was a favorite to pass Federer's 17 slams at the time.
Reminds me of all the yapping about how Tiger was going to pass Jack's record of 18 majors. Sure 14 is a staggering # but he'll never make it to 18 much less pass it.

Train well Vince we want
to see a Grande 2018!
 
Mar 24, 2015
743
1
3,280
Nice interview on the Italian newspaper Tuttobici: http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2017/12/23/107645/vincenzo-nibali-lo-squalo-ha-ancora-fame-oscar-tuttobiciweb-pier-augusto-stagi-tuttobiciweb-antonio-nibali

It's in Italian, too long to translate it all. :razz:

I guess the interview is not recent, as there are no references at all to Froome's case.

Dumoilin compared to Indurain at his best for his devastating strength against the clock.

About Moscon, that he considers a huge talent: when he was leading the peloton, his pace was crazy. He put you in the red. Only Kwiato has got the same ability to produce watts. They can work 6-7-8 mins full gas as only a few can. They destroy you. You get full of Lactic Acid up to your head!

About Sagan. Question: What do you think about him? Only good. We are friend, We were team mates. He is an absolute talent. I consider him the real number one of cycling.

About Froome. Question: What relationship do you have with him? Normal. Respect and esteem. He is a strong and fair adversary. Hard to beat and I hope he thinks the same of me. He's got a few weaknesses, as anyone, but outnumbered by his strengths.
 
I find more interesting the Eurosport's Blazin' Saddles review of the best riders of 2017. Froome was demoted to 9th place:

"Plummeting down the standings despite becoming the first rider to do a Tour-Vuelta double in the modern era, the British rider's lowly position may seem a tad harsh – especially for those fans for whom an extra 20 puffs of an inhaler represents a fair concession to a lifelong asthmatic."

and Nibali takes second place behind number one Tom Dumoulin:

"Few riders are as consistent over multiple platforms throughout the season as Nibali – an all-rounder with considerably more talent and weaponry at his disposal than his big rival Froome."

Coming from the English press this is quite surprising.

You can read all here: https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/blazin-saddles-best-riders-teams-and-races-of-the-2017-season_sto6456748/story.shtml
 
Nov 26, 2014
523
0
3,280
Re:

Jspear said:
That's probably the least "bold" of their predictions...His chances are pretty high imo.
most bold is definitelly Sagan victory on world championship as I do not know anything about women cycling :)
I doubt even that Sagan will ride road race in Innsbruck :)
 
Re:

Rollthedice said:
I find more interesting the Eurosport's Blazin' Saddles review of the best riders of 2017. Froome was demoted to 9th place:

"Plummeting down the standings despite becoming the first rider to do a Tour-Vuelta double in the modern era, the British rider's lowly position may seem a tad harsh – especially for those fans for whom an extra 20 puffs of an inhaler represents a fair concession to a lifelong asthmatic."

and Nibali takes second place behind number one Tom Dumoulin:

"Few riders are as consistent over multiple platforms throughout the season as Nibali – an all-rounder with considerably more talent and weaponry at his disposal than his big rival Froome."

Coming from the English press this is quite surprising.

You can read all here: https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/blazin-saddles-best-riders-teams-and-races-of-the-2017-season_sto6456748/story.shtml
That's absurd to have Froome ranked that low but if they didn't rank him at all for other reasons that would make more sense if the writer is assuming the worst about Froome's future.
 
Re:

Netserk said:
Confirmed he'll ride Ronde! I hope we'll see him in great shape in Liège, but also the races before that.
"I would like to do that, only there is the problem that the Tour of the Basque Country starts a few days later." (actually it starts the next day on 2nd of April) "There is a logistical problem for the time being to find a plane after the finish that will take me there in time. "
 
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Netserk said:
Confirmed he'll ride Ronde! I hope we'll see him in great shape in Liège, but also the races before that.
"I would like to do that, only there is the problem that the Tour of the Basque Country starts a few days later." (actually it starts the next day on 2nd of April) "There is a logistical problem for the time being to find a plane after the finish that will take me there in time. "
Sean Kelly in 1984, 1986, 1987 and 1988 in eight days rode Ronde, Pais Vasco and Roubaix.
 
Looking forward to seeing him give it a good in LBL, he is a superb racer with any sort of hills he can race, doesn't have punch of Valverde but a better rider on long climbs amd probably a little more tactical
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS