• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 624 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Nibali's ability to read a 1-day race is amazing and is better than his ability to read a GT. He makes some tactical mistakes in GTs ( giving Carapaz minutes in 2019 Giro, going to deep and blowing up in Oropa and Blockhaus in 2017 Giro ) but he is usually involved with the winning move in the classics. What do you think?

Probably. He even launched the attack that lead to Terpstras Ronde win in 2018 before he was dropped on the false flat.

Yeah, always found it kinda funny that in 2018 Nibali won a monument, but innitiated the winning moves in two. And neither of those two were the monument he won.

I'm kinda disappointed about the result today but I guess I shouldn't have expected more. For years he's been struggeling in races he didn't have a perfect preperation for and today that was the case again. Still, another monument he massively shaped, although this time I wish he wouldn't have.

Reactions: Rollthedice
I think Nibali's ability to read a 1-day race is amazing and is better than his ability to read a GT. He makes some tactical mistakes in GTs ( giving Carapaz minutes in 2019 Giro, going to deep and blowing up in Oropa and Blockhaus in 2017 Giro ) but he is usually involved with the winning move in the classics. What do you think?
As he got older, he started talking smack, playing mind games, and talking too much in between GT stages. In one-day races, by definition, you can't. So yes, I agree post-'14, when he read the TdF like an open book and won it in the first week, Sheffield, cobbles, 2'30" smack. Master tactician, making the best of his assets, but sometimes guys are better. Overachiever if you will.

As he got older, he started talking smack, playing mind games, and talking too much in between GT stages. In one-day races, by definition, you can't. So yes, I agree post-'14, when he read the TdF like an open book and won it in the first week, Sheffield, cobbles, 2'30" smack. Master tactician, making the best of his assets, but sometimes guys are better. Overachiever if you will.
Pretty much.

I'd say in GTs Nibali does still have some great tactics in winning stages instead of winning the GC, like in Sheffield and Andorra.

I had to re read that as I thought for a moment you said he started taking smack! :D

Actually I’m a little dissapointed, in this field... I expected more. But let’s hope he’s keeping his best shape for the Giro...

Not really, think of it like two weeks of competitive racing in early spring with his target coming up in two months time except it's over 30 degrees and there's two monuments 7 days apart. Then look at his competition for the Giro, one is out, one is in a worse position that him right now, one is invisible and one is already flying sky high. Given the type of rider he is, the usual approach to his main targets and the unusual circumstances I think he's doing the best possible.

Tuesday he is riding Giro dell'Emilia.

Nibali s strava file analysed. Fastest descent ever apparently.
The real monuments are the Strava KOMs we took along the way

• Haha
Reactions: Bardamu and Gigs_98

TRENDING THREADS