• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 736 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"When I crossed the line I didn't even know I'd won! I thought (Vincenzo) Nibali was up ahead of me. It was my cousin who told me at the finish that victory was mine."

Alaphilippe, Fleche 2018

Nibali, Cote de Cherave, Fleche 2015
That 2018 edition was just vintage Nibali. Not nearly the strongest rider but still blew the race wide open and almost ended the dominance of uphill sprinters in FW. Even if Schachmann (It was Schachmann, right?) had been able to win it would have felt so satisfying.

That 2018 edition was just vintage Nibali. Not nearly the strongest rider but still blew the race wide open and almost ended the dominance of uphill sprinters in FW. Even if Schachmann (It was Schachmann, right?) had been able to win it would have felt so satisfying.
My favorite Nibali loss is still Lombarida 2018 when he got caught by the chasing group then immediately attacked and stole 2nd anyway after losing a mano a mano with Pinot.

My favorite Nibali loss is still Lombarida 2018 when he got caught by the chasing group then immediately attacked and stole 2nd anyway after losing a mano a mano with Pinot.
I'll never forget that attack. That's Passion. And it's even better when you put into the context of his 2018 season.

Flanders 2018 is one of my favourites. Also that random Giro stage in Emilia last year when he attacked the descent and moscon crashed trying to follow.

2018 was Vincenzo at his best, without the results. A tour podium, world championship and 3rd Lombardia were on the cards

Man what are you talking about. Why always you are trying to make a debate.

I think it was a great second place too. But when the Nibali/Valverde debate is going on, Valverde wins, no questions asked, if podiums are given any importance. The Nibali backers of course don't want Valverde to win so they say that in a palmares discussion, only wins matter. And then it's just inconsistent when they laud Nibali for getting that second place.

Personally, I have no problems with appreciating secondary placings but Valverde is always criticised whenever he gets them (even when he is 41 and far too old to be expected to be in contention), but apparently, when Nibali does, it's great because he can't sprint and panache and bla bla bla.

Reactions: Sandisfan
And then it's just inconsistent when they laud Nibali for getting that second place.
It's only inconsistent because you chose to interpret it as that.

A palmares is the collection of victories during your career. Racing is about winning, and the only results that has weight -- as results -- are wins.

What was great about Nibali's ride in Lombardia was not that he got 2nd, it was the manner in which he rode. His ride that day tells a story about what kind of a rider he is, the result in itself didn't.

It's only inconsistent because you chose to interpret it as that.

A palmares is the collection of victories during your career. Racing is about winning, and the only results that has weight -- as results -- are wins.

What was great about Nibali's ride in Lombardia was not that he got 2nd, it was the manner in which he rode. His ride that day tells a story about what kind of a rider he is, the result in itself didn't.
Yeah, right.

Yeah that gotcha moment wasn't much of a gotcha moment.

I understand his comments and don't think they're that unreasonable but I still think you (the general you) somehow manage to twist every single feat Nibali ever makes into the paradigm that supports Nibali as the greatest racer there ever was (or something a little below that).

When in reality he is quite lazy as a bike rider and doesn't bother to show up in top shape in very many races and thus spends a lot of time as pack fodder.

I guess it then makes sense that you exaggerate it a bit when he has a rare good performance.

In fairness to Valverde, we should probably try remember some of his most memorable 2nd places too. Like, remember that one time someone won with a late attack and Valverde won the sprint for 2nd?
I remember him being the second strongest on the stage Sepp Kuss won, second to Contador on stage 17, and 5th on stage 17 in 2013 TdF with him and the riders ahead setting the best time. Purito doesn’t get anywhere near the flack when he had his killer sprint and would wait to use it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
In fairness to Valverde, we should probably try remember some of his most memorable 2nd places too. Like, remember that one time someone won with a late attack and Valverde won the sprint for 2nd?

What about getting second in the Vuelta at 39 years of age, making him being the only non-Slovenian ever to beat Pogacar in a Grand Tour?

I guess that isn't funny, though.

Actually, I think his best ever second place was on the Mont Ventoux back in the 2009 Dauphiné where he allowed Sylwester Szmyd to win the stage after the latter had been having a moment of serious gitters in anticipation of his first ever win. That showed enormous class and in the process he did gain enough time (barely) to take the overall win as he butchered Contador and Evans on France's hardest mountain.

Of course, it was just a preparation race for them and not for him but it was still a second place to remember.