• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 737 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The point of the forum is obviously to be excited about watching races and then go back to armchair psychoanalysis on posters we disagree with about riders who don't even know we exist.

With the exception of you being on a first name basis with Primoz.

We're the ones who don't actually know your real first name :p

P.S. My guess is that your friends - and Scarlett Johansson, and Geraint Thomas's mother - call you Richard The Sharkheart.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Look, soon we will celebrate 11 years since this thread was started by a member who is long gone from around here. After following for some years I decided to join this forum during the Giro in 2013 mostly because I felt that Nibali will win that Giro from an underdog position against Mighty Wiggo and The Sky Train. Not very popular opinion then.

During the following almost 10 years he reached the highest highs and some real lows. We were dead serious, Nibali was dead serious in his sport. But things change, as we grow older so is Vincenzo Nibali. While the effect on him gradually translated in a lack of meaningful successes, we became somewhat euphoric, drunk on the past glory of our favorite rider as we discovered our sense of humor oppressed by so many years of being dead serious. It's like we're trying to have the best fun just before the inevitable end of something that we hold dear.

Look, soon we will celebrate 11 years since this thread was started by a member who is long gone from around here. After following for some years I decided to join this forum during the Giro in 2013 mostly because I felt that Nibali will win that Giro from an underdog position against Mighty Wiggo and The Sky Train. Not very popular opinion then.

During the following almost 10 years he reached the highest highs and some real lows. We were dead serious, Nibali was dead serious in his sport. But things change, as we grow older so is Vincenzo Nibali. While the effect on him gradually translated in a lack of meaningful successes, we became somewhat euphoric, drunk on the past glory of our favorite rider as we discovered our sense of humor oppressed by so many years of being dead serious. It's like we're trying to have the best fun just before the inevitable end of something that we hold dear.

Well said. I was a Vincenzo fan well before this thread was even started. I first noticed him in 2009 and he hit my favorite list in the 2010 Giro. I picked him to win the 2010 Vuelta and reveled in his win then and all through his glory days. Now he's in decline but I'll Always root for him and wish him the best. He is My Kind of Rider. Filled with Grinta, Courage and BALLS. He rode to win, not to place. The day he retires I will be sad. But I'm over 70 and have seen my favorites through their years of Glory followed by the inevitable fate of any sportsman as he ages.
We just want enjoy the time we have left to see him ride and remember his wins, many of which I have first on vcr and converted to dvd or recorded on dvd and dvr.
IMO he is one of the Most Underrated riders to ever ride the sport. It's in my signature that he managed to do something last done by Hinault! When will we see anyone accomplish that again? Probably not in what is left of my lifetime.

Last edited: