• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
The thing that will ultimately make me place 10 £ on Nibali this year is his strong pre-season. We've seen it the past years (Evans last year, Andy in 2009, Contador in 2007), when they perform better in the spring, they tend to perform at a higher level in the french mountains as well. I think we'll see the same progression for Vincenzo.

One more thing I like: he is a really agressive rider, and that downhill ability will be a great tool come July.

thegrimpeur said:
The thing that will ultimately make me place 10 £ on Nibali this year is his strong pre-season. We've seen it the past years (Evans last year, Andy in 2009, Contador in 2007), when they perform better in the spring, they tend to perform at a higher level in the french mountains as well. I think we'll see the same progression for Vincenzo.

One more thing I like: he is a really agressive rider, and that downhill ability will be a great tool come July.
It could be, but he could also be too tired when the TDF starts. He's had a very long season and has been on top since his first race.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
then did you put more money on Wiggins??:D
thegrimpeur said:

maltiv said:
It could be, but he could also be too tired when the TDF starts. He's had a very long season and has been on top since his first race.

Actually his season hasn't been that long.
He's not even in the top 300 in race days (33, including the 8 days vacation in Cali). He picked his races very well and has been extremely efficient.

Can't see him being too tired after this kind of season.

SafeBet said:
Actually his season hasn't been that long.
He's not even in the top 300 in race days (33, including the 8 days vacation in Cali). He picked his races very well and has been extremely efficient.

Can't see him being too tired after this kind of season.

Schleck,Evans and Wiggins have under 20 day's of racing in legs.In my opinion Nibali will have problems in the 3rd week of TdF.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
WOW 3.5m:D

According to Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, Nibali has already signed for two years with Astana at $3.5 million annually.

“I don’t want to name names,” Carera told VeloNews. “I can only say that there are two or three teams interested.”

BMC Racing and Astana have been rumored to be interested throughout the spring. When contacted last month, both teams told VeloNews they weren’t negotiating with Nibali.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/nibali-its-over-with-liquigas_222385

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I actually think the number is plausible, 2.2 M is offered (confirmed) by Liquigas, so whatever Astana or some other team offered must be more than that number.
jens_attacks said:
don't believe that number even if any pro rider deserves that in my opinion

if it's true,nibali has to up his preparation big time,we'll see

May 19, 2011
Visit site
you can laugh all you want, at least Nibali or his agent is extremely smart at negotiating salary, also it shows some people in the peloton have extreme high hope or faith at him.:D
Dekker_Tifosi said:
im laughing my *** off, 3.5 million for Nibali. As much as the guy has grown on me that's preposterous.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
im laughing my *** off, 3.5 million for Nibali. As much as the guy has grown on me that's preposterous.

yeah that seems way too high a salary for nibali. He can win some short stage races and GT's when against light competition but I simply don't see him winning the Tour against Evans, Schleck, Wiggins...