• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Wiggo is not his only opponent. Hesjedal, Evans and Samu are very good bike handlers and could gain time on Nibali if he's not healthy.

True to that, W is a less danger right now actually the whole SKY team f***** up big time on today stage

May 19, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
Wow, perhaps he isn't quite the bike-handler we all thought he was. Either that or his air-pressure was down or something.

It is possible after the first crash, he is hurrying to chase causing the second crash. It is understandable. It is always a huge risk to attack on the wet descending, but at least he lived up to his reputation. Too bad the plan with Tanged did not work out this time.

My guess is:
- he attacked, opened a gap, then crashed (tv) before the last climb started;
- the front group merged and they climbed together;
- he crashed again in the last descent (no tv covergae) hence dropped from the front group;
- he then bridged and finished with them.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I think it's worrisome for Nibali that it seems that Kangert is the only teammate thus far who has constantly been up front with him. Aru I feel will have good days and bad, but Kessiakoff and Tiralongo both seem out of sorts.

whittashau said:
I think it's worrisome for Nibali that it seems that Kangert is the only teammate thus far who has constantly been up front with him. Aru I feel will have good days and bad, but Kessiakoff and Tiralongo both seem out of sorts.

Tira probably still suffers from his crash.
Kessi looked better today, only 4 minutes behind at the finish.

Aru is in great shape. He crashed today, otherwise he could've been in the front group.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
I just hope he isn't injured. When the adrenaline is still flowing it is easy to say 'I'm fine'. Later the true pain surfaces.....

Glad he took the major risks and the time, but hoping it doesn't cost him later because of an injury.

He will definitely feel sore tomorrow, the first one is no joke high speed crash. I am amazed how fast he got back on the bike luckily the bike was intact.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:

Tiralongo has knee problem and Kessiakof crashed badly in the previous stage, hopefully LUCK will come back for Astana in second and third week

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Tiralongo has knee problem and Kessiakof crashed badly in the previous stage, hopefully LUCK will come back for Astana in second and third week

Yeah, I think Astana might struggle if he picks up pink tomorrow though. Hopefully they come right soon.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
Yeah, I think Astana might struggle if he picks up pink tomorrow though. Hopefully they come right soon.

Well they do have an option here, since Nibali started second to last, he can pace himself not to take the pink. But I think that is very unlikely, he will try to take as much time as he could against other big favorites to get the pink. Then on a later stage to gift the pink away to another break if Astana does not have the man power.

maxmartin said:
Well they do have a choice here, since Nibali started second to last, he can pace himself not to take the pink. But I think that is very unlikely, he will try to take as much time as he could to get the pink. Then on a later stage to gift the pink away to another break if Astana does not have the man power.

After the ITT gaps will be huge. You might need a 10 minutes break to gift the jersey unless a second tier attacks (and in that case you can't take it easy for sure).

I don't think he'll have the maglia rosa anyway.

Nibali
"Qualche botta c'è,ma diciamo che ok!! Vedremo domani!Ho disegnato curve pulite sapevo che si poteva scivolare ma non è bastata la prudenza!!"

Not so fluent in Italian (still learning), but GT says this:
"About a bit there, but let's say ok! We'll see tomorrow I drew curves clean I knew that you could slip but it was not enough prudence!"

Seems like good news!

SafeBet said:
My guess is:
- he attacked, opened a gap, then crashed (tv) before the last climb started;
- the front group merged and they climbed together;
- he crashed again in the last descent (no tv covergae) hence dropped from the front group;
- he then bridged and finished with them.
Makes sense!!!

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Nibali
"Qualche botta c'è,ma diciamo che ok!! Vedremo domani!Ho disegnato curve pulite sapevo che si poteva scivolare ma non è bastata la prudenza!!"

Not so fluent in Italian (still learning), but GT says this:
"About a bit there, but let's say ok! We'll see tomorrow I drew curves clean I knew that you could slip but it was not enough prudence!"

Seems like good news!

Makes sense!!!

I don't really understand the English translation. He is saying he's okay?
What does 'I drew curves clean' mean? And what does 'Prudence' mean?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webbie146 said:
I don't really understand the English translation. He is saying he's okay?
What does 'I drew curves clean' mean? And what does 'Prudence' mean?

means "he already take precaution when cutting corners but not enough because he fell'

TRENDING THREADS