• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why is Vino not in the car with Martinelli for the giro. First gt as DS, first gt win as ds on the cards, with his own team, surely its not a moment he wants to miss.

he will be in the car in the tour, i guess it is polite to give the limelight to the Italians in the Giro

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
I think he shouldn't go full gas in the vuelta. Use it as a prep race for the wc instead, that should be his main goal. It's hard to peak for so long.

One day race there are too many uncertainties, I still think a more punchy rider will have more chance on WC course, so Nibali should go full gas on the Vuelta.

Finally got to watch a vid of the final 8km....wow Nibs looked strong!!! Still hope he doesn't have an adverse reaction due to the cold and choosing to dump all his gear!

One race at a time, let's get this one in the books then a rest, then the Vuelta :)

maxmartin said:
One day race there are too many uncertainties, I still think a more punchy rider will have more chance on WC course, so Nibali should go full gas on the Vuelta.

He'll have plenty of opportunities to win the Vuelta in the future.
Such a hard WC comes once every 15 years, maybe more. And it will be raced in Italy too.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Chapeau to Nibali for giving Santa the stage. Great guy.

This can't be stressed enough. Remember the OS where Italy, captained by Nibali spat a huge loogie in the faces of the UK team? When Spain collectively gave the UK the middle finger and attacked?

Wiggins and Froome are seriously detested in the peloton, quite simply because they wreck chances of other riders without reason. Sanchez was oh so right when he found Wiggins a A-hole. Valverde just had pity remarks for the dynamic duo. Basso and Nibbles just laughed when the topic was Sky.

Someone here said: Real Bosses dont give gifts. It's a sign of how many people don't follow cycling. A real boss is known to give gifts. And is known when to punish.... ;)

Nibali has shown to be a great leader.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Franklin said:
This can't be stressed enough. Remember the OS where Italy, captained by Nibali spat a huge loogie in the faces of the UK team? When Spain collectively gave the UK the middle finger and attacked?

Wiggins and Froome are seriously detested in the peloton, quite simply because they wreck chances of other riders without reason. Sanchez was oh so right when he found Wiggins a A-hole. Valverde just had pity remarks for the dynamic duo. Basso and Nibbles just laughed when the topic was Sky.

Someone here said: Real Bosses dont give gifts. It's a sign of how many people don't follow cycling. A real boss is known to give gifts. And is known when to punish.... ;)

Nibali has shown to be a great leader.

A gift like that is just denigrating, just look at AC patting Schleck on his cheek after he gave him the Tourmalet stage in '10. It's a way of showing your superiority. And it's pretty much killed all hope for an exciting race next week. This Giro is over, Nibali didn't even have to attack to win it. His opponents simply wiped themselves out.

About the Sky hatred in the peloton; is Froome really disliked? I can understand if it's just Wiggo, but what has Froome ever done to any rider or team? Basso and Nibali aren't exactly liked in the peloton either, among riders who don't speak Italian.

The Olympics had nothing to do with this. How were they riding against Froome and Wiggins when those two were just Cav's doms? The RR was all against Cav, simple as that, every country except GB and Germany were on the offensive.

Pentacycle said:
A gift like that is just denigrating, just look at AC patting Schleck on his cheek after he gave him the Tourmalet stage in '10. It's a way of showing your superiority. And it's pretty much killed all hope for an exciting race next week. This Giro is over, Nibali didn't even have to attack to win it. His opponents simply wiped themselves out.

About the Sky hatred in the peloton; is Froome really disliked? I can understand if it's just Wiggo, but what has Froome ever done to any rider or team? Basso and Nibali aren't exactly liked in the peloton either, among riders who don't speak Italian.

Really ?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why is Vino not in the car with Martinelli for the giro. First gt as DS, first gt win as ds on the cards, with his own team, surely its not a moment he wants to miss.

maxmartin said:
he will be in the car in the tour, i guess it is polite to give the limelight to the Italians in the Giro

Ow he wil... and scream "ATTACK!!! ATTACK!!!!:D

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:

I feel there is certainly different cliques within the peloton. I've noticed as a NZer who visits the various NZ riders twitter pages etc that the Aussies, Kiwis, and British tend to be pretty tight with each other while discretely showing their distaste at the Italians and Spanish especially.

There are obviously exceptions. Cameron Wurf has nothing but nice things to say about Basso on his blog

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:

Has any rider from outside his team or Italian speaking community ever said he likes Nibbles?

It's something I'm not sure about, that's why I for one didn't say they're hated by anyone. But then again what riders are generally disliked?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Has any rider from outside his team or Italian speaking community ever said he likes Nibbles?

It's something I'm not sure about, that's why I for one didn't say they're hated by anyone. But then again what riders are generally disliked?

What a flawed reasoning.

Based on this, what if they also don't say they dislike them. Then what?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Giro is not over.

But the danger doesn't come from Nibali's opponents. Nibali can only be defeated by bad luck or himself (bad day)

His team is pretty mediocre. Agnoli pulled for almost the entire climb but dropped nobody, if nibali gets attacked early he´ll have to depend on Kangert or he´ll be isolated quickly

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
His team is pretty mediocre. Agnoli pulled for almost the entire climb but dropped nobody, if nibali gets attacked early he´ll have to depend on Kangert or he´ll be isolated quickly

Actually I think they're doing a good job. I don't think Agnoli was trying to drop anyone. He was just riding a good tempo and he did it brilliantly. Aru seems a lot better, and Kangert is still a beast.

I do worry about Nibbles advantage right now though. It'll only take one puncture at the wrong time, or one bad spell and his lead could be gone. I don't think it's any certainty that Vincenzo will gain time on Evans in the MTT either, especially considering it's not very steep.

LaFlorecita said:
What? Surely people are allowed to be disappointed this beautiful race is turning into a bit of a borefest, right?

Well if no one has the balls to attack him, GC will get boring. But I guess they have given up and accepted he is the strongest???? It's up to the rivals to make it a race at this point....

EDIT: Shame the guy with the biggest balls got the lead so early....

whittashau said:
I do worry about Nibbles advantage right now though. It'll only take one puncture at the wrong time, or one bad spell and his lead could be gone. I don't think it's any certainty that Vincenzo will gain time on Evans in the MTT either, especially considering it's not very steep.

Very true...it can all change dramatically at any time.....

TRENDING THREADS