• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 4, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
Supremo Vincenzo!!!!!! Grazie Lo Sqaulo for such a grand show :)

Only the Strongest will wear the Pink and you have show all never to underestimate you again.

Meanwhile Aru and Kangert deserve major kudos for their performances in delivering him!

And I just loved him kissing his wedding ring to celebrate; lucky lady his wife!

:D Grazie, Lo Squalo!

Edit: now he can spend time with her somewhere nice and warm:)

LaFlorecita said:
They dropped out because they felt ****ty. So he didn't actually beat them and if he did, they weren't in great form ;) by the way read my edit

Well he had pretty well toppled them before they felt ****ty....at least Wiggo anyway :D

The strength of a field is determined by who starts, not who finishes. I will not dispute that the field was pretty thin by the end, as the final results reflect.

Carols said:
Well he had pretty well toppled them before they felt ****ty....at least Wiggo anyway :D

The strength of a field is determined by who starts, not who finishes. I will not dispute that the field was pretty thin by the end, as the final results reflect.

what people don't get is that if the top guns are not in good shape, they don't make the field much stronger. Well at least disgraced former moderator Barry agrees :D

Edit: barrus: Look at the top 10, most either unproven riders or riders past their prime
and he likes Nibali

Now I just want one of his "brownies" and I'll love him forever

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
okay, fair enough, but you have to admit that Nibali didn't actually beat him

Of course he beat him and not for the first time this year either, one finished first (and looked comfortable doing it) and one failed to finish does not change that fact.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Nibali survived in the harsh conditions that the riders who dropped out weren't able to survive in. So yes, he beat them.

This whole strength of field debate is ridiculous though, the strength of the field was fine, it wasn't a weak field IMO. Just because some riders, that were most talked about as GC contenders, dropped out (riders who probably couldn't have beaten Nibali here anyways) shouldn't detract from the prestige of Nibali's win.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
what people don't get is that if the top guns are not in good shape, they don't make the field much stronger.

But Wiggo had career best numbers, and Ryder looked to be in amazing form. Ryder clearly went too-deep during the ITT, and Wiggo clearly psyched himself out which was partly Nibali's doing.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I read that Mr. Nibs and Mrs Nibs just tied the knot last October. :)

Apparently his friend Agnoli introduced them to each other.

He does seem very grounded. The Shark is a good catch, I am thinking :D

No children...yet!

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Indeed, go to the beach and get some warmth back in the body! Do they have children?

No they don't. I've seen pictures of Nibbles playing games with Agnoli's little girl on twitter though so it's probably on the agenda at some point.

Was nice to see the emotion from Agnoli today actually. Shows the human side of cycling that often gets forgotten with all the clinic stuff and whatnot.

Gee, what a sappy post....

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Great photo, someone needs to take this for an avatar. :)

977059_10151935168319418_792367479_o.jpg

contessador said:
I read that Mr. Nibs and Mrs Nibs just tied the knot last October. :)

Apparently his friend Agnoli introduced them to each other.

He does seem very grounded. The Shark is a good catch, I am thinking :D

No children...yet!

Wow nice back story :) Quite a lucky lady to catch a Shark and tame him :)
I need to find a pic!

whittashau said:
No they don't. I've seen pictures of Nibbles playing games with Agnoli's little girl on twitter though so it's probably on the agenda at some point.

Was nice to see the emotion from Agnoli today actually. Shows the human side of cycling that often gets forgotten with all the clinic stuff and whatnot.

Gee, what a sappy post....

No problem with sappy posts, kissing his ring made me weep...but I am an old woman LOL:)

TRENDING THREADS