• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maxmartin said:
yep he dropped a few sopts in the middle maybe he wanted other people do some work, and in the end he took control and perhaps he did not not know exactly how many people were in front of him, so he tried to sprint to get the bonus.

Maybe he was thinking of an attack from behind but quit the idea. I don't think he was in trouble at all. None of the contenders seem to able to drop him so if nothing exceptional happens he has the Giro-Vuelta double this year.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:
He looked to be in trouble for a tiny bit today, but he might have had a tiny bit of trouble shifting

apparently AV was on the same boat with you. We will see what is going to happen in the next week.

"His objectives, Rodriguez says now "are a podium or a stage win." He almost snorted in disbelief when told that Valverde said after stage 15 he believed that Nibali was ‘looking a little weaker'. "He says that? Well I didn't see that," he responded. "He's doing really well.""

May 16, 2013
Visit site
on JRO's attack,Nibali seemed a bit in trouble. but perhaps had a gear too hard. After that surpassed Uran did not give more signs of weakness. indeed ...

number0 said:
on JRO's attack,Nibali seemed a bit in trouble. but perhaps had a gear too hard. After that surpassed Uran did not give more signs of weakness. indeed ...
On any climbs now when they are close to the finish, Nibali has to be calculating how much efforts he wants to put on counters. Roche was the only one he let go. With the rest of them he is smart to hesitate when they go in order to give somebody else a chance to cover. Pozzo, Valverde, Pappy H and Purito have to be first responder. His hesitation when Purito went may have just being him checking who was still capable to cover

Pippo_San said:
Actually is Sir Bradley Marc Wiggins, Commander of the Order of the British Empire

British Empire is an oxymoron of the jumbo shrimp order. Last we checked those muppets couldn't close out Argentina without begging their American masters for assistance.

Wiggins would have been curled up in a ball crying during this Vuelta. Too much bad weather.

Moose McKnuckles said:
British Empire is an oxymoron of the jumbo shrimp order. Last we checked those muppets couldn't close out Argentina without begging their American masters for assistance.

Wiggins would have been curled up in a ball crying during this Vuelta. Too much bad weather.

I thought this was a Nibali thread, not Moose McKnuckes Brit Bashing fiefdom

If nothing out of the ordinary happens Nibali has this Vuelta in the bag. While Horner's performance is exceptional given his age and GT history, I don't think he can drop Vincenzo. He evolved in a very mature GT rider and I think he is just keeping Horner under control preparing the final blow.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nibali is so amazingly consistent and all round in GT's. It's amazing...

Froome is a freak of nature, but Nibali is a real cyclist racer.. could be interesting next year.

Yes, it will be great to see them going at it next year. It seems as if Froome has the advantage, certainly in the TT, but the mountains may be a bit closer. Nibali would probably need a brutal classics (weather et al) type stage to take any serious time out of Froome.

Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Yes, it will be great to see them going at it next year. It seems as if Froome has the advantage, certainly in the TT, but the mountains may be a bit closer. Nibali would probably need a brutal classics (weather et al) type stage to take any serious time out of Froome.

Yes. He did it this year in TA when he attacked in stage 6 Porto Sant'Elpidio while descending in the rain after Muro di Sant'Elpidio with Sagan and Purito.
he put 50 sec into Froome and won the race although he previously lost some time on the mountains.

Rollthedice said:
Yes. He did it this year in TA when he attacked in stage 6 Porto Sant'Elpidio while descending in the rain after Muro di Sant'Elpidio with Sagan and Purito.
he put 50 sec into Froome and won the race although he previously lost some time on the mountains.

I know this is the common narrative but Nibbles actually attacked on the wall and dropped both AC and Froome before the descent started.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
apparently AV was on the same boat with you. We will see what is going to happen in the next week.

"His objectives, Rodriguez says now "are a podium or a stage win." He almost snorted in disbelief when told that Valverde said after stage 15 he believed that Nibali was ‘looking a little weaker'. "He says that? Well I didn't see that," he responded. "He's doing really well.""

AV was spot on yesterday :D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
If nothing out of the ordinary happens Nibali has this Vuelta in the bag. While Horner's performance is exceptional given his age and GT history, I don't think he can drop Vincenzo. He evolved in a very mature GT rider and I think he is just keeping Horner under control preparing the final blow.

said it one day too early:p:D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Bad day for him, but only 22 seconds lost to Horner isn't too bad. Think it will all come down to Angliru and I think he'll still come out the victor in the end.

TRENDING THREADS