• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eshnar said:
It's clear that the most important target for him is the Worlds. Now I'm not saying he's unprepared at all (after all without Horner he would be winning comfortably) but he's not in top shape at all.
It's clear to me his most important target is to win La Vuelta, especially him being on the driver's seat. The Worlds is down the road, a lottery.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
It's clear to me his most important target is to win La Vuelta, especially him being on the driver's seat. The Worlds is down the road, a lottery.

completely agree, one day race is always a big lottery. Vuelta will be decided in next two stage. The only objective for Nibali is to find the will and way to win this d**n thing!

cineteq said:
So do you think he is in the best possible form during the Vuelta, or do you think that he is sub-top form during the Vuelta on purpose so that he will be in better form for the worlds?

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Think it would had been better if the Vuelta was his main objective all along. Now it will be though to win, and 1 flat at the wrong moment during the worlds and he got neither.. Should had focused 100% on the Vuelta, and take that form into the worlds. Anyways I know he had a lot of appointments and stuff to do between the Giro/Vuelta so it's no surprise he is not 100%.

Netserk said:
So do you think he is in the best possible form during the Vuelta, or do you think that he is sub-top form during the Vuelta on purpose so that he will be in better form for the worlds?
Obviously, leading La Vuelta, with 1 big mountain stage to go, tells you his form is pretty good. I don't have a crystal ball, yet, to tell you if he'll be in better form for The Worlds.

Didn't Nibali himself state he would improve throughout the race and that his form should be at its best in the 3rd week?

Maybe he loosened the leash a bit too much after il Giro (I read he took a pretty long period off the bike) and his flawed preparation is catching up with him. Who knows.

Flamin said:
Didn't Nibali himself state he would improve throughout the race and that his form should be at its best in the 3rd week?

Maybe he loosened the leash a bit too much after il Giro (I read he took a pretty long period off the bike) and his flawed preparation is catching up with him. Who knows.

He was doing fine today by every standard, he's improved 17 sec. over his performance here in 2010 when he eventually won the Vuelta. The problem was a guy named Horner.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
He was doing fine today by every standard, he's improved 17 sec. over his performance here in 2010 when he eventually won the Vuelta. The problem was a guy named Horner.

yep short steep climb like this is never Nibali's forte, he lost more seconds here to JR a couple of years ago. I would say he is fine. On the other hand Angliru stage suits him much better than today's stage. The momentum is not on Nibal's side, but I think he will glue to CH's wheel in Angliru.:eek:

maxmartin said:
yep short steep climb like this is never Nibali's forte, he lost more seconds here to JR a couple of years ago. I would say he is fine. On the other hand Angliru stage suits him much better than today's stage. The momentum is not on Nibal's side, but I think he will glue to CH's wheel in Angliru.:eek:
He lost less time to Purito in '10 than he lost to Horner today.

maxmartin said:

I suspect he won't make the same mistake as today (and that Bertie made repeatedly in the TDF this year)...he's going to climb Angliru like he climbed Zoncolan in 2010, i.e. at his pace and hope for the best...

Now if he loses more time tomorrow, unlikely but possible, he'll even have to go on some sort of suicide attack, Badger 1984 style...

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
He lost less time to Purito in '10 than he lost to Horner today.

Nobody is denying CH's awesomeness in today's stage, but just as Rollthedice pointed out that Nibali's performance is actually really good in any kind standard. I only expect Nibali to do better in Angliru than in today. It is about time for Horner to have a mediocre day:rolleyes:

webbie146 said:
Think it would had been better if the Vuelta was his main objective all along. Now it will be though to win, and 1 flat at the wrong moment during the worlds and he got neither.. Should had focused 100% on the Vuelta, and take that form into the worlds. Anyways I know he had a lot of appointments and stuff to do between the Giro/Vuelta so it's no surprise he is not 100%.
Astana winning the TTT showed it was his main objective all along. Hopefully, he was sick, and he's saving the best for last.

Rollthedice said:
He was doing fine today by every standard

Was he also doing fine on Formigal?

he's improved 17 sec. over his performance here in 2010 when he eventually won the Vuelta. The problem was a guy named Horner.

What does that prove? That he's a better rider than in 2010? Then I agree ;) also, comparing climbing times from different years, in different kind of stages, conditions etc. doesn't tell us everything of course.

cineteq said:
Astana winning the TTT showed it was his main objective all along. Hopefully, he was sick, and he's saving the best for last.

I still believe that the wc is his primary objective, with, as he and Martinelli have said, Nibali hoping to be at his best then. Possibly still having the form to be competitive at the Vuelta was in their plans and have proved to work out quite well as evidenced by Nibali still being in red.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
He would have done better today if he hadn't followed Horner. He completely blew in the final 500 metres. I don't know if he's improving or not, hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure he can't beat Horner on Angliru.

agree AV measured his effort very well I guess, but Nibali will beat CH or lose less than 3 seconds after someone else took the first 3 places:D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
I still believe that the wc is his primary objective, with, as he and Martinelli have said, Nibali hoping to be at his best then. Possibly still having the form to be competitive at the Vuelta was in their plans and have proved to work out quite well as evidenced by Nibali still being in red.

their plan would be perfect without Honer;)

TRENDING THREADS