• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 149 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:
because by attacking, he can invoke Froom to see where Froom is, and to gauge himself against. That is just my guess maybe he just love attacking whether reasonable or not:p

He does. His attacks this year have not been successful but if they had allowed him to get away on this stage...even out of shape, he had a chance to win. I'm guessing he likes to race and it is important to get the Froomester to show his hand. Nibali will be where he needs to be come July to give himself the best chance he can. My guess is that Froomester is more worried about Contador. I like it like this ;)

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Is it just me or is Nibali turning a massive gear uphill? If you see his attacks or when he tries to hang on it really seems he is doing it almost Gonchar style
I guess he's doing some specific (strength) training. The birth of a child certainly has affected his training program earlier and now he's compensating. The attack could be explained from that prospective too.
But although he's there primarily for training, a minute on a descent finish looks too much to me.
The tt should be another indicator.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
watching today's stage, I admire Nibali wanted to test his form and his aggressive racing. Not sure if he should have waited close enough to the top and run away in descent. But clearly, his form (today) is still way behind Froome by a mile. I can't help to see a similarity between Nibali now and Contador last year. (I hope he proved me wrong, but all signs so far point toward that way).

Anyway, if he wanted to challenge Froome , he got a lot of work to do, in fact tons. Of course, Froome will improve a lot more than today.

As I've said on this thread a few days ago, I believe Nibali is not as strong as Froome or Contador going up the climbs. He will need close to a miracle if he is to challenge if you consider how far away from Froome he is at this moment, Froome has shown his form after a difficult couple of weeks where he lost ground due to his back and illness but Nibali seems a long way off where he wanted to be at this stage.

I hope he does find some form quickly as he is very capable of adding to the excitement in July.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Sad to say that based on current form the top step looks out of reach for Nibali. :( But the podium is definitely still possible. He just needs to stay the course and keep improving on his form, really all he can do.

Then enter the Tour ready to attack at every opportunity. If there's one thing we an count on coming from Nibail it's for him to always be ready to attack. And, it's a long Tour, anything can happen.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I still think if he has the same form he did in the Giro last year that he should get close to Froome. You only have to go to the clinic to see that the numbers he did were very impressive despite the lack of competition. So if he can get back to that I think he is in with a chance. Obviously that's a big if.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Sad to say that based on current form the top step looks out of reach for Nibali. :( But the podium is definitely still possible. He just needs to stay the course and keep improving on his form, really all he can do.

Then enter the Tour ready to attack at every opportunity. If there's one thing we an count on coming from Nibail it's for him to always be ready to attack. And, it's a long Tour, anything can happen.

But was his goal reaching the podium? He already has done that. Podium would be good, but in the end not something you target as a great champion like Nibali.

Let's hope he will have his best form at the Vuelta, worlds and Lombardia. Otherwise it would be quite a disappointing season.

Well it wasn't too bad yesterday, he did finish in the first group after it looked like he might collapse after his early attack. The Giro 2013 was a perfect setup for him weather wise and the opposition was weak (Evans, Uran) and I wasn't convinced he was really any stronger than in the 2012 TDF...

Yesterday's stage is still his best effort in a mountain stage this season. He's not where he should be (and likely won't the whole year) but his form his getting better. How close is the battle for podium in Romandie? I haven't checked the standings.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
Well it wasn't too bad yesterday, he did finish in the first group after it looked like he might collapse after his early attack. The Giro 2013 was a perfect setup for him weather wise and the opposition was weak (Evans, Uran) and I wasn't convinced he was really any stronger than in the 2012 TDF...

Not convinced? Him beating everyone in the MTT by almost a minute? The very good times he had up the various climbs? He was clearly far better than he was the previous year.

“I tried, but I quickly realized that I couldn’t follow Chris. Perhaps my attempt was a result of a wrong assessment and most likely it was a mistake, as I haven’t been thinking he would be so strong,

Must have been a shock seeing Froome in full alien mode live and not just on TV since I don't think Nibali raced with Froome since TA 2013. Well, back to work.

I wouldn't call getting caught by Spilak and then looking like he was about to get dropped (he admitted so much on Swiss TV in the interviews after the stage), the "full alien" (i.e. Ventoux 2012) mode...which is not good news for Nibali but then riding with a group with Fuglsang and Costa we already knew that.

webvan said:
I wouldn't call getting caught by Spilak and then looking like he was about to get dropped (he admitted so much on Swiss TV in the interviews after the stage), the "full alien" (i.e. Ventoux 2012) mode...which is not good news for Nibali but then riding with a group with Fuglsang and Costa we already knew that.

I agree, Froome didn't even attack and he is still probably missing the form to do this at this stage. Nibali couldn't even follow a tempo ride from Froome who then just slowed to wait for Spilak.

I still think Nibali will find some form and would be a good bet for a podium in July. What is Nibs next race anyway? Dauphine?

Pricey_sky said:
I agree, Froome didn't even attack and he is still probably missing the form to do this at this stage. Nibali couldn't even follow a tempo ride from Froome who then just slowed to wait for Spilak.

I still think Nibali will find some form and would be a good bet for a podium in July. What is Nibs next race anyway? Dauphine?

That's not how I saw it. Spilak caught him, there was no waiting from Froome.

TRENDING THREADS