• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 156 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Knowing Nibbs style- he ain't happy at all-but we know he's looking AHEAD to July, and while Contador & Froome are battling it out, he's reaching...

Hope there is time enough to get his shape at the level of those two, so they can exchange blows equally:)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
I think he's OK. But his chances are slim to win the Tour. Contador and Chris The Inhaler look too strong.

we'll just have to see how valverde looks like. He can certainly be an ally to contador comes TDF. He wasn't that bad today though, even though he got beaten by andrew freakin' talansky :)

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I guess ,the new email was already sent by Vino :p ,hopefully Nibali will show something different in July.We need 3 guys to surpass TDF 2007 action.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
PirazziAttacksVino said:
His preparation looks good for the Tour. He'll be flying in the 3rd week. How shall we call this one? Peaking like a shark? :D

Slowly peaking an lying in wait for the correct time to strike...and bite his opponents in half...like a shark! :D

Haven't seen the stage yet, so will have to wait to comment on how Nibali looked today or how good he is.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
lol are we watching the same race? he looks really good on the bike, hardly any upbody movement, showing he is doing controlled temp riding not 100% at all. And when he crossed the line, I would use ease to describe the facial expression. So he is on the track to fight for the Tour.

maybe you're right and pessimism is getting the better of me. do you think come the tour, he's going to be at least as strong as his winning giro form?

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
When Froomester went after AC he looked cooked, but managed to get himself togheter nicely and not bonking completely

^This I believe. He put his head down when Froome chased after Berto but the shark did not completely bonk:p

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
A well controlled ride by Nibali today.
He was among the only 2 riders(not counting AC) who were able to stay with Froome from the bottom of the climb till the last KM flag. I dont think we shud count hesjedal, as he must have had time to recover before he joined the 11-member bunch.
And he only lost 8 sec in the final KM which had the worst gradients.

According to AC's post-match interview, he felt that every rider were at their limits.

I think Nibali is in the right path to peak for TdF.

hfer07 said:
Knowing Nibbs style- he ain't happy at all-but we know he's looking AHEAD to July, and while Contador & Froome are battling it out, he's reaching...

Hope there is time enough to get his shape at the level of those two, so they can exchange blows equally:)

I think he's improving and will battle for the podium but as much as I'd like to see a 4-way battle for the top spot, I don't believe he (or Valverde) have ever been at the level Froome and Contador have been at when in their top form. In other words, Nibali could reach his 2013 Giro form and I don't think it would be enough to fight for the victory if those two are as strong as I think they'll be.

I am pretty happy with his race so far. He looks solid, he's riding sensibly and it does feel like he's getting better stage by stage. He still has a bit of time to go up that extra level to hang in a bit more with Contador and Froome, and even if he can't beat them over the whole thing I think we'll see him cause problems for a lot of the top riders.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope he's seriously targeting this race as training to peak in July. I like nibali, but I would feel better if this race were three horse instead of two. Maybe he has his eyes on the prize? I just don't see contie or Froome falling off their form in three weeks

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Jspear said:
I think right now Nibali is stronger than AC was in the 2013 Dauphine. Sooooo - Nibali should get third in the Tour. Be happy fans! :)

:confused: Not that I would be unhappy if he got another 3rd but we shall see.
Right now it looks like Nibs will be lucky to get 3rd but lots of things can change between now and the last week of TdF... and that is what makes following this sport exciting.

I'm very satisfied with what we've seen of him so far in this Dauphinè.
I'm keen to believe he's gonna have a MASSIVE third week in the Tour. MASSIVE mind you, and there are tons of stages where he can launch a crazy attack.

Oh and first step first. Next step: ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP. Should look nice wearing the TRICOLORE :cool:

Pippo_San said:
I'm very satisfied with what we've seen of him so far in this Dauphinè.
I'm keen to believe he's gonna have a MASSIVE third week in the Tour. MASSIVE mind you, and there are tons of stages where he can launch a crazy attack.

Oh and first step first. Next step: ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP. Should look nice wearing the TRICOLORE :cool:

Do you know what the profile looks like? Does it suit him? I agree it would be very nice if he raced with his national jersey.

Jspear said:
Do you know what the profile looks like? Does it suit him? I agree it would be very nice if he raced with his national jersey.

It's actually the Trofeo Melinda 2014. This is the profile...looks good for Vincenzo!!! GO SHARK! :cool:

altimetria_linea-e1401796001401.jpg

TRENDING THREADS